U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 06:53 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,044,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I can tell you that I believe 100% that I get more enjoyment and satisfaction out of camping with my family for a week than I would lying around a tropical resort without them.
I would too, but I won't lie, I do occasionally think back on the week long lazing on the beach days fondly!

Now I just sit out on the deck and watch my kid and dog play in the yard and when we get to the beach, it's with the kiddo and we have a whole different kind of fun together. I don't get as much lazing, but it is enjoyable and satisfying, as you said, in an unparalleled way.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:07 PM

11,442 posts, read 6,496,486 times
Quote:
I agree with Random. Who said we are deprived of all enjoyment? Over dramatic a little? We get our enjoyment from doing things that will benefit our kids.
I understand that, but I don't think it's absurd for parents to spend a little on themselves for enjoyment that doesn't involve the kids.

Quote:
I'm not sure what your neighbor's vehicles and tools have to do with anything.
They are parents who have spent some money on things they enjoy instead of diverting all those funds to things that involve their children.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
No one with a work ethic would "retire" at 20 unless they were wealthy.
I retired in my 20s...not at 20. If you have a week...read the thread.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:12 PM

24,483 posts, read 28,829,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I understand that, but I don't think it's absurd for parents to spend a little on themselves for enjoyment that doesn't involve the kids.

They are parents who have spent some money on things they enjoy instead of diverting all those funds to things that involve their children.
We do that

Really? You think the RV is all about the parents?

Old 08-16-2014, 07:13 PM

8,547 posts, read 5,291,963 times
Most parents do spend a little bit on themselves like paying for a gym membership, taking a yoga class, going out for dinner occasionally, but these aren't the type of things that would take away from child's future. Spending $30K on a fancy boat when your family can't really afford to do it without taking away from your kids, that is selfish. Big difference.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:17 PM

15,807 posts, read 13,239,318 times
Quote:
ALL parents put some of their wants before the child. If they didn't all parents would the most basic of everything and the remaining money would go to the child. How many people do you know like that?
But most parents do not ask their children to have a lower standard of living due to their WANTs.

That is what you are doing. You are suggesting parents buy jewelry, fancy cars, solo vacations, trucks, tools whatever all the trappings of a grander lifestyle than the average you propose raising your children at.

THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE. Not zero enjoyment, but rather enjoyment and fulfillment of ones wants that does not compromise the lifestyle of ones children.

Get it yet?

Old 08-16-2014, 07:41 PM

8,662 posts, read 4,818,086 times
Absolutely, but your idea of enjoyment changes drastically when kids are in the picture. Date nights, day trips, or even just running errands solo come to recharge you the same way a 7- day cruise once did. For example, my husband I started a first-day-of-school tradition a couple of years back: since my classes start up the day after our kids' do, he takes the day off and we hop the train in NYC and make a day of it. We met up with our friends for lunch, wander around, or even catch a matinee if money allows, then get back in time to meet the school bus. Not quite as exhilarating as a child-free couple's life, but we enjoy it.
Quote:
While honorable, it sounds like your lifestyle would almost be a form of death to some. Some parents may crack well before 18 years if they're deprived of all enjoyment (other than parent enjoyment). Looking at my parent neighbors right now, I see one with a huge RV/two diesel trucks and another with two tucks/huge garage full of tools.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:48 PM

15,925 posts, read 8,854,734 times
Let me be clear that I do take care of myself. I just came home from a week-long solitary vacation, the first I've taken in almost two decades as a SAHM, which was a restorative experience that lifted my spirits and is helping me to be a better mom. That said, if it was a week away by myself vs. music camp for my son, the kid would win. Fortunately, that wasn't a decision I needed to make because we can afford to do both.

Last edited by randomparent; 08-16-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
But most parents do not ask their children to have a lower standard of living due to their WANTs.
If a parent pursues any WANT they are lowing their child's standard of living...unless we're talking about the top 2-3% of income earners.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:56 PM

24,483 posts, read 28,829,378 times
Quote:
if a parent pursues any want they are lowing their child's standard of living...unless we're talking about the top 2-3% of income earners.
bs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or