U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:51 AM

12,715 posts, read 11,191,291 times

Advertisements

An interesting web page:

Wisconsin's War on Kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 07:18 PM

8,181 posts, read 16,155,849 times
Personally I think he's just curious as we all were....
I went back and read this post again and the one thing that sticks out to me is this....I didn't see where the boy was asked why he did this?
This can be asked innocently and without judging....it might be a very simple solution. I found with children this young, if asked this way they don't lie. Act after you get his answer.
Good luck! I wish mine was 5 again....but since I'm putting my order in I want to skip the teenage years lol.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:01 AM

6 posts, read 26,862 times
Do you really want your 5 year old kicked out of school for sexual harrassment? You need to use your "MOM VOICE" and lay down the law! If he is curious, show him a picture. He does not need to be molesting other children.

I find it a little upsetting that people are so dismissive of this. I know that once or twice is normal. My daughter was in a similar situation when she was that age and we made sure she knows that no one is to touch her inappropriately. Now, she is 9 and or so we regularly hear of with some pervy little punk trying to look down her shirt or hear of another don juan touching the girls behinds. One in particular is on his way to expulsion. I bet thier parents thought they were just curious too. It's never to early to teach your children to respect others and to respect themselves.

PS. Boys never grow out of being curious about girls.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:45 AM

13,460 posts, read 14,448,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
An interesting web page:

Wisconsin's War on Kids
That was one very frightening article. I'd hate to be a kid in Wisconsin in this day and age.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:15 PM

15,187 posts, read 16,039,895 times
I agree with everyone who said to relax about it. When you say "butt," do you mean "butt cheeks" or rectum or vagina? If he's curious about Spongebob's butt (and who wouldn't be?) it might have been his first opportunity to observe a butt first hand, so to speak. I think you should ask him in a calm, open-ended sort of way, about what happened and what he wants to know about butts. And then try to explain in a 5-year-old way.

You do need to make it clear that he can't touch anyone else's parts or let them touch his. But I wouldn't ban him from watching Spongebob or make more out of it than it is, unless you have some evidence that he was acting out sexually.

As far as pre-schoolers seeing each other go to the rr, at my daughter's pre-school the restrooms were in between the classrooms and did not have doors. When a kid was going, he/she was not really visible unless someone was in the bathroom space with him/her. They do that so that teachers and students are never alone in a bathroom without a lot of other people around. No one seemed to have a problem with it when she was there.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:14 AM

139 posts, read 345,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMom12345 View Post
Hi,
I really need help. My son was caught in the bathroom at his pre-school asking another female student if he could touch her butt. When the teacher heard them she entered the room and removed them and they were both taken to the office and parents were called. Now, again this week - apparently it happened again - he was caught asking her again if he could touch her butt. Several times this week, when she raised her hand to use the bathroom - he immediately did the same.

I had a meeting with the principal this week andthey said to continue talking with him that private parts are to be kept private and not to be shown or touched by others - but my just turned five and I just don't think my talks are working on him.

I have noticed that while watching spongebob he would pause the cartoon when spongebob's butt would be one the screen. I have removed all spongebob movies from him and explained that he is no longer able to watch that cartoon because he is not a good role model for little boys.

I just don't know what the obsession is with the butt. What do I do?
My son does not see any inappropriate things in my home and I always accompany him into the restroom when we are out so I don't think anything has ever happened as far as abuse to him. But, the school is getting very frustrated as am I. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.
I had a similar situation with my younger sister when she was that age - this is going to sound weird - but whenever we would be pushing the cart through aisles at stores like Target and passing by the aisle with the underwear/bras, she would try to reach out of the cart and like... grab the bras.
I think she started the habit out of curiosity, but she continued it for awhile because my other sister and I would laugh when she did it , BUT, she's now 9 and she's DEFINITELY grown out of doing that. She was out of the phase by the time that she was about 6.
So just keep talking to him, telling him what you're already saying.
He's probably just curious!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:02 AM

270 posts, read 1,092,665 times
well i have a son that will be 5 in march and he talks about his "booty" and butt and farting in my face or on his sister. It is a natural thing to wonder about this sort of thing. and it said he tried to grab her "butt" was he trying to pinch it or what? HUGE differance in pinching and other things. My son has an older sis and younger sis so he has seen it all and knows the difference. and he has seen his mommys also so maybe (just a question here) you are sheltering him? I have no idea but talk to him and the other little girl and her parents maybe you can find out what happen

Old 01-03-2008, 02:35 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,452,143 times
I understand that it's upsetting but he's 5!!!! Kids do not understand sex or anything like it at this age. He was told not to do it and did it again so that means he's been molested or is going to turn into a predator??? My son is 8 now and still does things after being told not to....it's human nature! As far as never letting him watch tv alone, that's crazy. You have to continue telling him it is wrong. He is old enough to tell you why he is fascinated by the butt. Which by the way, boys stay fascinated with it by farting and making jokes as they get older. Adults are the ones who read so much into things like this. Kids are just being kids. We just don't want to let them anymore b/c there are horrible people out there preying on all of us. You need to educate him on what is right and what is wrong but this is normal behavior. Also, someone said that 5 is too young to be 'sexual' and that is wrong. My son started playing with his "daberdoo" around this age and I would tell him to stop. I finally asked him why he kept doing it and you know what he said. It feels good. I just about passed out but there you have it. That's when we really discussed private parts and all that. I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction but I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:05 PM

875 posts, read 759,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMom12345 View Post
Hi,
I really need help. My son was caught in the bathroom at his pre-school asking another female student if he could touch her butt. When the teacher heard them she entered the room and removed them and they were both taken to the office and parents were called. Now, again this week - apparently it happened again - he was caught asking her again if he could touch her butt. Several times this week, when she raised her hand to use the bathroom - he immediately did the same.

I had a meeting with the principal this week andthey said to continue talking with him that private parts are to be kept private and not to be shown or touched by others - but my just turned five and I just don't think my talks are working on him.

I have noticed that while watching spongebob he would pause the cartoon when spongebob's butt would be one the screen. I have removed all spongebob movies from him and explained that he is no longer able to watch that cartoon because he is not a good role model for little boys.

I just don't know what the obsession is with the butt. What do I do?
My son does not see any inappropriate things in my home and I always accompany him into the restroom when we are out so I don't think anything has ever happened as far as abuse to him. But, the school is getting very frustrated as am I. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.
Curiosity about the body is totally normal at the pre-school age. I assume he's around 3?

If you think he has a facination with butts, as in the sponge bob thing, I would really be looking at your 5 year old and find out if he has been curious with his younger sibling - which isn't abnormal either, but he does need a talking to as well.

When my son was about 7, I was going to have him spend the night with a friend of mine, who also had a 7 year old son. He told me he didn't want to go there anymore, because her son did inappropriate things to him the last time he'd been there.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:13 PM

875 posts, read 759,249 times
Attention posters: The OP said the boy was PRE-SCHOOL age, not 5. His older sibling is 5!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or