U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2014, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Denver area
21,137 posts, read 22,107,592 times
Reputation: 35503

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
The consignment stores (including Plato's Closet) I've dealt with are not that much less expensive than the actual stores. I'm not buying my kid a pair of used American Eagle jeans for $25 when a new pair could be had in the store for $30.
This has been my experience as well. My daughter and I went into the local Plato's Closet when she was in HS - hearing about these great bargains.

I just wasn't seeing it. Most of the time, I could buy the very same stuff, brand new for close to the same price, if I was willing to wait for sales and/or sign up for the store's "club" membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2014, 10:30 AM
 
5,413 posts, read 4,816,219 times
Reputation: 9351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It sounds like Scarlet is talking about consignment stores instead of thrift stores.
I go to both...even seek out the best when I travel....and he volunteered at one years ago. I can't recall one of either sort that didn't have a fitting room and at the one I worked at would put on many things with lashing but items that came in that were in good shape but could use a wash were. If there is a Soceity of Saint Vincent store near you they seem to be the best....actually rating stock and bringing seasonal items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 10:32 AM
 
5,413 posts, read 4,816,219 times
Reputation: 9351
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
This has been my experience as well. My daughter and I went into the local Plato's Closet when she was in HS - hearing about these great bargains.

I just wasn't seeing it. Most of the time, I could buy the very same stuff, brand new for close to the same price, if I was willing to wait for sales and/or sign up for the store's "club" membership.
Yeah they aren't the best ones for deals unless you catch something good on the discount discount rack some have. Local shops rather than a chain tend to be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 10:35 AM
 
15,744 posts, read 13,171,628 times
Reputation: 19636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The consignment stores I've dealt with specify the clothes must arrive clean. They won't accept them otherwise. They do not clean them.
My aunt owns her own consignment store, she frequent dry cleans the higher quality stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 10:38 AM
 
15,744 posts, read 13,171,628 times
Reputation: 19636
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
The consignment stores (including Plato's Closet) I've dealt with are not that much less expensive than the actual stores. I'm not buying my kid a pair of used American Eagle jeans for $25 when a new pair could be had in the store for $30.

Thrift stores (a la Goodwill) are usually significantly cheaper, but I don't know...I feel like the stuff in those stores should be saved for people who truly cannot afford to buy new, not people like me who just want to save a few bucks. It just seems...greedy to me.
Ah, maybe it is a regional thing.

My girls loved the local consignment shops because they could get lucky jeans for the price of new levis, and levis for the cost of old navy. I only posted plato as an example, the local shops are always better prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 10:47 AM
 
43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Reputation: 30256
My friend saw a store worker spraying Fabreze on new arrivals at Plato's Closet. Yuck. I wasn't surprised because that store always smells like a thrift shop. There's definitely a varying level of clean among consignment stores, and it seems the big national chains, like Plato's Closet, are among those who smell the worst.

For those who think thrift stores are reserved so the poor can buy them, the best stuff at thrift stores are often bought by resalers---consignment store owners, ebay sellers, consignors who consign at consignment stores, etc. There really are people who buy clothes at thrift stores, flea markets and garage sales to take to consignment stores to consign.

My girlfriend (different one) owned a consignment store. She'd buy stock at the thrift store, wash it and sell it at her consignment store. She belonged to a small group of consignment stores in the area where the owners would share marketing costs and brainstorm business ideas. They all stocked their stores from thrift stores. They accepted items from consignors too, but they made more money from the items they stocked from a thrift store because they didn't need to be the consignment fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 11:16 AM
 
Location: New Yawk
8,652 posts, read 4,786,033 times
Reputation: 14011
I think it must be a regional thing, because where I am the thrift stores are amazing (with the exception of church thrift stores). Probably 90% of our purchases come from the thrift store, and it's all good quality items. I do live in a very high COL, name-brand conscious area... so the upside is I get to buy their cast-offs on the cheap.

I do sympathize with shopping for girls, especially since so much in the stores are miniature versions of teen fashions. With my daughter, I could come home with stuff that I KNOW she loves, but she will refuse to where them unless she was present to pick them out. The boys don't care where their clothes come from, and barely even notice when more clothes are added to their rotation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 11:37 AM
 
10,608 posts, read 13,377,851 times
Reputation: 17158
It's true about the sparkly crap. Even for adults I see it all over Florida.

I also remember buying Old Navy when my kid was in school and I thought they didn't hold up very well. Always wrinkled and worn fast. I think we did better at the Gap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 11:53 AM
 
15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Reputation: 15019
A long time ago, I owned a resale shop for children's items. Our stock was clean, we paid cash to those who brought things in rather than consigned things. Our prices were more than Salvation army and Goodwill, but we did not accept out of date or soiled clothing. Our biggest sellers though were toys, books and baby equipment (strollers, etc.).

There were several shops in our town that were like this.

My own daughter once she was in high school actually shopped at the consignment shops and at the Salvation Army or Goodwill shops and always got good deals. Now as an adult, she still shops at various thrift stores in her new location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2014, 11:56 AM
 
12,913 posts, read 19,787,452 times
Reputation: 33920
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My aunt owns her own consignment store, she frequent dry cleans the higher quality stuff.
A business owner, unlike a charity, can easily recoup money spent on cleaning, either through a percentage of the consignment or higher prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My friend saw a store worker spraying Fabreze on new arrivals at Plato's Closet. Yuck. I wasn't surprised because that store always smells like a thrift shop. There's definitely a varying level of clean among consignment stores, and it seems the big national chains, like Plato's Closet, are among those who smell the worst.

For those who think thrift stores are reserved so the poor can buy them, the best stuff at thrift stores are often bought by resalers---consignment store owners, ebay sellers, consignors who consign at consignment stores, etc. There really are people who buy clothes at thrift stores, flea markets and garage sales to take to consignment stores to consign.

My girlfriend (different one) owned a consignment store. She'd buy stock at the thrift store, wash it and sell it at her consignment store. She belonged to a small group of consignment stores in the area where the owners would share marketing costs and brainstorm business ideas. They all stocked their stores from thrift stores. They accepted items from consignors too, but they made more money from the items they stocked from a thrift store because they didn't need to be the consignment fee.
I know re-sellers do this. There are a couple of charity thrift stores here that exist almost solely to serve the poor. One is for families, the other is for foster children. Those are the stores that send out emails when they have specific needs, such as jeans for kids returning to school, backpacks, etc. They are well supported by donations, and don't charge anyone with a low-income voucher. The average Goodwill and Salvation Army stores in our area use the money they earn to support their programs, but are a step removed from actually dealing with the poor, who pay what everybody else does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top