U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 04:01 PM

645 posts, read 779,341 times

Advertisements

Um, is there a hidden meaning to the term "big sister" here that I don't know about? Because that just went over my head.

Anyway, the problem is solved. We re-did the math again and we would actually be loosing $100 a week if I took this job and DH quit his second job, so I'm no longer taking the position. I'll just continue to stay home, and in the meantime continue to look for a something where we are not loosing money.

So, we're keeping her in preschool and her speech won't be changed..=)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 04:16 PM

16,529 posts, read 16,055,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Um, is there a hidden meaning to the term "big sister" here that I don't know about? Because that just went over my head.

Anyway, the problem is solved. We re-did the math again and we would actually be loosing $100 a week if I took this job and DH quit his second job, so I'm no longer taking the position. I'll just continue to stay home, and in the meantime continue to look for a something where we are not loosing money.

So, we're keeping her in preschool and her speech won't be changed..=)
People are commenting because your older daughter (the big sister) should be saying, "I love you, Baby Sister" not "I love you, Big sister".

Just like you tell your husband, "I love you, Hubby" not "I love you, Wife".

Old 08-16-2014, 04:42 PM

645 posts, read 779,341 times
Maybe bc she just turned 3 not too long ago and doesn't know the difference yet. Not 33, 3 lol.. I can't...

Old 08-16-2014, 05:03 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,316,232 times
Quote:
Maybe bc she just turned 3 not too long ago and doesn't know the difference yet. Not 33, 3 lol.. I can't...
What do you mean by "I can't?" You understand the difference between big and little, right?

In describing your 3 year old daughter's interaction with her LITTLE sister, you said she says, "I love you, BIG sister." Her little sister is her little sister, not her big sister.

This is something she should be able to understand in the near future. If she doesn't understand it by 4, it might be a good idea to have a second assessment done for a developmental delay.

You made the right decision to keep her in preschool. Not only will she learn in preschool, but a preschool teacher's observations will a valuable asset if a developmental assessment is done in the future.

Last edited by Hopes; 08-16-2014 at 05:12 PM..

Old 08-16-2014, 06:15 PM

15,341 posts, read 16,936,233 times
Quote:
Most 3 year olds do know the difference between big and little. This is usually learned between 2 and 3 years old. I wonder if she has more than a speech delay.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:57 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,722,082 times
Maybe OP thinks the mistake is "cute" so she doesn't correct dd using the wrong word.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:01 PM

300 posts, read 323,585 times
Wowza you got allot goin' on...

Two books to order today.
"siblings without rivalry"
"how to talk so kids will listen"

Next--Speech.
What is her diagnosis? Articulation or expressive language?
Does the SLP give you "family homework". If not ask for some. You and dad, modeling and reinforcement are a 3-year old's best speech teacher. Once a week isn't gonna cut-in. Make "speech" part of every activity.
Don't be afraid to mix-up the therapists every so often.

Pre-school.
You're talking about 2.5 hours @ 2x per week, right?
If you can afford it, go for it. Great idea!
You need a break.
Baby sis needs one on one time with mom.
Big sis needs some opportunity for parallel play.

Dance.
Is this a 1hr per week class.
if yes, go for it.
It' important for kid's development to try different things--to experience alternative avenues of success.

Your husband's second job v. your part-time job.
I would vote for you finding part-time work.
I would assume that since your husband is not working a second job he can jump-in with caring for the kids and doing house hold chores.
I think you have alot on your plate with the minute to minute management of your two babies and household tasks. Work would be good break and chance to keep all the "kid-stuff" in prospective.
Plus, keeping a toe in the working world will pay-off when your ready to return for work full-time (so you can pay college tuition for two kids!).

Hang in there.
Don't forget to have some fun.
Laugh. Be silly. Take lots of pictures.
These precious days fly by in the blink of an eye.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:04 PM

300 posts, read 323,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Most 3 year olds do know the difference between big and little. This is usually learned between 2 and 3 years old. I wonder if she has more than a speech delay.
Speculate all you want. Without seeing the context there is no way to tell....

Old 08-16-2014, 08:20 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,316,232 times
I just want to comment about the job. If you're losing $100/month by working in the afternoons and your husband dropping his second job, that means any job you take during the day while you need childcare won't make up for the wages lost from your husband's job. It seems the best solution is to find a job that has hours while your husband is home from work to watch the children. If his full time job is during the day, that means your part time job needs to be in the evenings or on the weekends. You and your husband won't see each other much, but your children will get to spend some time with their father.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:12 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Frankly, your three year olds behavior sounds more severe than just "jealousy of a sibling" (but of course, I don't have all of the details). But, states are different. In my state, you do not have to have a medical diagnosis and in some situations having a fairly mild but diagnosed speech & language delay may qualify you for classroom services.

In fact, in my state, we have free classroom programs for children with speech and language delays starting with 18 month olds (usually these are combined with home teaching and home speech & language therapy). But, not all states provide those services and it appears from your comments, that NY does not provide those services.
In many districts in Texas this is the case if the delay is severe enough.

I would drop the job, drop dance, drop the preschool, and keep the speech therapy. you are your child's best teacher. Trust yourself. The other children may have speech issues too, and I have never seen a speech issue resolve itself from children spending time with each other.

Put her in time out if she is being ugly to her sister. Schedule time away from her sister to be just Mommy and Me time.

Analyze her speech testing. She must have a plan set in place already, and then focus on those issues. Model good speech and hold her accountable. Do it in 10-15 minute chunks 1-2 times a day. Have your husband do it when he can too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting