U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 10:20 PM

39,255 posts, read 37,853,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
That's true about some parents.

I always tell parents that during Meet the Teacher night because they know their child better than anyone and they are their child's best advocate.

Parents who read to their children and play math games are ones who have a leg up when they start school. That also includes speech issues. Of course the child needs professional help, but it's the parents who supply the daily practice necessary for rapid gains.

Too many parents sit on the sidelines and are not active participants in their child's education. They feel like they can't do it, and they don't reach out to get the help they need.

This mom is also a teacher, if I am not mixing her up with someone else.
I agree that parents know their children best, but I don't agree that they are their best teachers.

When I taught, I sometimes came across parents who did not know how best to communicate with their kids. I often say I learned the most about what I didn't want to do as a parent after years spent teaching. You sometimes see parents who actually make problems worse. (Not saying the OP is doing this.)

My concerns about the mom believing that the things she described about this child being normal 3-year-old behavior are but one reason why I believe the daughter needs preschool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 10:26 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,115,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree that parents know their children best, but I don't agree that they are their best teachers.

When I taught, I sometimes came across parents who did not know how best to communicate with their kids. I often say I learned the most about what I didn't want to do as a parent after years spent teaching. You sometimes see parents who actually make problems worse. (Not saying the OP is doing this.)

My concerns about the mom believing that the things she described about this child being normal 3-year-old behavior are but one reason why I believe the daughter needs preschool.
She's going to a full time PreK next year that's free. I agree that preschool is important, but the speech issue takes precedence in this instance.

This is where I am coming from on the " Parents are their child's best teacher."
The Effects of Parent Involvement in Education | eHow

They have their child for l8 years. I only get them one year. I get where you are coming from though.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:54 PM

300 posts, read 322,512 times
Quote:
She's going to a full time PreK next year that's free. I agree that preschool is important, but the speech issue takes precedence in this instance.

This is where I am coming from on the " Parents are their child's best teacher."
The Effects of Parent Involvement in Education | eHow

They have their child for l8 years. I only get them one year. I get where you are coming from though.
How can you make that recommendation without knowing the particular speech / lang diagnosis?

Frankly, Age three is young to have speech diagnosis AND qualify for state funded early intervention UNLESS:
1) Primary diagnosis on the autisisum spectrum.
2) Structural abnormality
3) Language delay.
4) Cognitive delay.

Typically, articulation and fluency disorders are treated in a "family setting" for normally developing three-year-olds.

Since the mom is a teacher, she probably spotted signs early and knew the correct lingo to get her daughter qualified for services. It's also probably why she's pushing for for pre-school and dance. She knows her stuff.

I would question any TX plan which didn't incorporate goal towards communicating within a peer group.

In my opinion, pre-school should not a back seat to early intervention for artic / fluency. Rather, it is a nessacary component of a compherhensice TX plan.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:14 PM

24,477 posts, read 28,789,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Um, is there a hidden meaning to the term "big sister" here that I don't know about? Because that just went over my head.

Anyway, the problem is solved. We re-did the math again and we would actually be loosing $100 a week if I took this job and DH quit his second job, so I'm no longer taking the position. I'll just continue to stay home, and in the meantime continue to look for a something where we are not loosing money.

So, we're keeping her in preschool and her speech won't be changed..=)
Really? It went over your head that your 3 year old is calling the 9 month old "big sister?"

Glad you figured it out. I thought speech was at the same time as pre-school, though.

No, the parent is not always the best teacher. Often times, I would say.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu4u View Post
How can you make that recommendation without knowing the particular speech / lang diagnosis?

Frankly, Age three is young to have speech diagnosis AND qualify for state funded early intervention UNLESS:
1) Primary diagnosis on the autisisum spectrum.
2) Structural abnormality
3) Language delay.
4) Cognitive delay.

Typically, articulation and fluency disorders are treated in a "family setting" for normally developing three-year-olds.

Since the mom is a teacher, she probably spotted signs early and knew the correct lingo to get her daughter qualified for services. It's also probably why she's pushing for for pre-school and dance. She knows her stuff.

I would question any TX plan which didn't incorporate goal towards communicating within a peer group.

In my opinion, pre-school should not a back seat to early intervention for artic / fluency. Rather, it is a nessacary component of a compherhensice TX plan.
It's just an opinion. Sheesh! This is an online forum. No one can diagnose a child one has never met. She put on her post that the speech teacher suggested it as a possibility to help. The OP said it was a speech only issue. I can only go by the information she gives me.

The problem with the schooling is that it Interferes with the speech intervention. In a perfect situation she would get to do it all, but reality is often less than perfect.

Obviously she wants to do everything for her child.

If they can resolve all of the issues, then of course she should provide school, dance, speech therapy, and have extra money from a part time job.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:23 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,122,058 times
Quote:
They can't afford it. That's the bottom line.
Wrong. She said they can afford it. Look at her quote you chose to quote. It's right there.

Quote:
Here is the reason I advised what I did. this is a quote from the OP.
"So things have changed, DH had to take a 2nd job to continue have me staying home bc his overtime got cut and he expressed some concern that the $140 a month might be stretching it. He wanted to just pull her out. I did the budgeting and we can afford it
There is no financial reason to drop preschool at this time. The OP isn't starting the part time job she will not earn enough to compensate for her husband's part time and childcare. If she works during the day while her husband works, they will lose $100/month. Her husband is going to continue working part time until she can find a job that makes financial sense. Since cutting the $140 a month isn't going to allow the husband to stop working the second job, it's totally illogical to recommend the daughter be pulled from preschool when she can benefit from it in so many ways.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
She can do BOTH preschool and speech therapy. This isn't an one or another scenario. She's not dropping speech. Her daughter can continue with her regular afternoon appointment since the mother will not be working in the afternoon. Maybe you didn't read the whole thread to see the update that the mother is not taking the new job after all.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the update.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:32 PM

300 posts, read 322,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She can do BOTH preschool and speech therapy. This isn't an one or another scenario. She's not dropping speech. Her daughter can continue with her regular afternoon appointment since the mother will not be working in the afternoon. Maybe you didn't read the whole thread to see the update that the mother is not taking the new job after all.
Depending upon the DX, and given the choices:
1) pre-school & and changing therapist
2) No pre-school and same therapist
I'd vote for number one.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I thought speech was at the same time as pre-school, though.
I believe speech is in the afternoon one day a week and preschool is in the morning two days a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
No, the parent is not always the best teacher. Often times, I would say.
I completely agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting