U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 10:33 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,059,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu4u View Post
Depending upon the DX, and given the choices:
1) pre-school & and changing therapist
2) No pre-school and same therapist
I'd vote for number one.
I'd vote for number one too, but neither change needs to be done because the OP has decided to not take the job that interfered with the speech appointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 12:03 AM

300 posts, read 322,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
...She has a speech delay, talks up a storm, but is very unclear. Except I understand her perfectly bc I'm with always with her..... Her therapist, who I love and DD has become very attached to (and she can get shy and take a while to warm up to some people), suggested that if we could, sending her to preschool may help her with her speech. That is being around kids on a routine basis.

What would you do?
Given the facts outlined in your previous posts, I concur with your Ds SLP's recommendation. Really the best setting TX of a 3 year old. Hope you can make it work.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'd vote for number one too, but neither change needs to be done because the OP has decided to not take the job that interfered with the speech appointment.
Ok let's amend the choices:
1) pre-school & and changing therapist & working part time
2) No pre-school and same therapist and not working
I'd still vote for number one.

Do you really want to revolve D's life and your life around a once weekly TX session a particular SLP.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:32 AM

5,627 posts, read 4,645,779 times
Skip preschool all together. Shes THREE! She doesnt need friends and she doesnt really need preschool right now. Ask her therapist for other options to help with her speech.

and please listen to your husband or it could drive a wedge between you.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Skip preschool all together. Shes THREE! She doesnt need friends and she doesnt really need preschool right now. Ask her therapist for other options to help with her speech.

and please listen to your husband or it could drive a wedge between you.
Why do you recommend skipping preschool? Why doesn't girl "need" exposure to peer groups and socialization outside of her home?

Maybe the husband should listen to wife in this case since she's the primary caregiver.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Why do you recommend skipping preschool? Why doesn't girl "need" exposure to peer groups and socialization outside of her home?

Maybe the husband should listen to wife in this case since she's the primary caregiver.
I recommend skipping preschool because as i stated, shes 3. What did kids do before preschool to learn and grow? Again shes 3, why does she need peer groups and socialization? No she shouldnt be a hermit crab but she can learn without formal school.

Mommy groups such as MOPS, Church Groups, Playdates, Library groups, even the dance class OP said.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Frankly, your three year olds behavior sounds more severe than just "jealousy of a sibling" (but of course, I don't have all of the details). But, states are different. In my state, you do not have to have a medical diagnosis and in some situations having a fairly mild but diagnosed speech & language delay may qualify you for classroom services.

In fact, in my state, we have free classroom programs for children with speech and language delays starting with 18 month olds (usually these are combined with home teaching and home speech & language therapy). But, not all states provide those services and it appears from your comments, that NY does not provide those services.
Are you sure these programs are for babies with S/L delays?

How does one DX for S/L at 18 months and find that a "classroom" program is an appropiate TX?

Often times S/L Tx is part of an overall early intervention plan for kids at risk of developmental delay or autism.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
I recommend skipping preschool because as i stated, shes 3. What did kids do before preschool to learn and grow? Again shes 3, why does she need peer groups and socialization? No she shouldnt be a hermit crab but she can learn without formal school.

Mommy groups such as MOPS, Church Groups, Playdates, Library groups, even the dance class OP said.
while homeschool works for some kids, it's poison for others.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
while homeschool works for some kids, it's poison for others.
I didnt say anything about Homeschool? IMO she should stay home and do the dance class and therapy and skip preschool like her husband wants. If at 4 or 5 she wants to try again, then do so.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
I didnt say anything about Homeschool? IMO she should stay home and do the dance class and therapy and skip preschool like her husband wants. If at 4 or 5 she wants to try again, then do so.
I'm not a fan of sacrificing the well being of kids to "keep peace" in a marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting