U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 11:16 AM

300 posts, read 323,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Shrugs. I see your point, but that's just the way it works in many schools.

There will always be things I don't agree with in the educational system, but some things you just can't change. Heck some schools it's just a fight to correctly implement the IEPs.
"but that's just the way it works in many schools"

That's exactly why I recommended that the OP keep the class room teacher out of the mix. Class room teachers are normally only aware of the service that see in their school. Their limited scope of experience often limits the "advise" they give to parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 AM

15,348 posts, read 16,936,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu4u View Post
"but that's just the way it works in many schools"

That's exactly why I recommended that the OP keep the class room teacher out of the mix. Class room teachers are normally only aware of the service that see in their school. Their limited scope of experience often limits the "advise" they give to parents.
If the child still has speech delays in Kindergarten, then keeping the teacher out of the mix is silly. The teacher will certainly see the problems and delays and if she does not know that the child is getting services, she may be recommending services to the parents when she has conferences with them.

Aside from that, speech therapy costs quite a bit of money and may or may not be covered by insurance. If the speech therapist at the school is good (ours was), then it seem reasonable to get some services at school. Because the schools nowadays are much more open, there is no stigma attached to pull outs for speech or ot or other services.

Things really depend upon the school, the dx, the particular teachers and therapists more than on some generic, *it is best to keep the teacher uninformed.* If you want the best education for your child, it seems to me that the more information the teacher has about the child, the better.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:11 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,316,232 times
Quote:
Why do they need to miss anything? unless accomodations / modifications are part of the IEP, there is no reason for the class room teacher do anything "special". A, take a look at the stats of kids who are pulled from class compared to kids who receive services outside of school hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're advocating something that isn't feasible for most families. Who do you think is available to take the children to this private appointment? Pursuing services outside school hours is almost an impossibility for a two income household that doesn't have the finances to pay for a more expensive private caregiver who can drive to drive children to appointments. Most children are in daycare centers. While one income families have a parent available to drive to appointments, many would not have the funds to pay for private instruction. You're promoting something that mostly upper class families and one income upper middle class have the resources to do.
Quote:
Those are very general statements which, in the OP's case, may not apply. Speech disorders transcend socio economic brackets. This is another reason not to involve the classroom teachers. They are not trained nor remotely qualified to make recommendations regarding appropriate delivery of services.

In the case OP, she already has a weekly speech appointment set-up, dance and pre-school. If am recommending that OP continue with service provided when the D starts kindergarten and NOT rely on the district to schedule services. The district will schedule services at their connivence (pull out) not based upon what appririparte for the child.
My statements absolutely apply to the OP's case. You should read more carefully. The OP made it clear that she can not pay for speech privately and her child is currently receiving services through the state education system. Read her first post:

Quote:
She started getting speech through our state preschool system in April. We don't have to pay for this which is a lifesaver since our insurance doesn't cover speech services and we can't afford $100 a week out of pocket.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
My statements absolutely apply to the OP's case. You should read more carefully. The OP made it clear that she can not pay for speech privately and her child is currently receiving services through the state education system. Read her first post:
Correct. And there is no reason why, if still qualified, the her daughter can not continue to receive state fund services (outsdie of pull out or small group in-class program). What many classroom teachers don't understand that state funded services don't need to be delivered during class room hours. See class room teachers NORMALLY only have experience WITNESSING kids pulled during instructional time.

You are not alone in incorrectly believing that this is ONLY way to deliver speech therapy at the expense of the state. Understandably class room teachers are not SLPSs and do not have the training or same access to resources. Class room teachers should stick to the areas qualified under their creditial. If IEP calls out in class mods $ accods, then that's the teachers job. Delivering Tx, deciding upon the appriorate venue is not the class room teachers job.

I't my recommendation based upon the facts provided by the OP and the assumed singel DX of Articulation delay, that her daughter (if qualified)
1. continue with state funded services
2. When the time comes, enroll her child in a mainstream k-12 program
3. refuse "pull out services"
4. Insist upon service delivered outside of instructional time. (this her right as it is the least restrictive environment for kids with artic delays).
5. Do not involve the classroom teacher unless the IEP calls for class room accommodations or modifications.

The district won't like this idea. They count on parents not being savvy enough and relying the the "advise of teachers". None-the-less, it's the mom's right. Fortunately, the OP has head start. She was savvy enough to 1) spot the delay, 2) arrange for appropriate testing and DX, 3) arrange for state funded therapy. She has 2 years to research the most appropriate environment for services to continue before her D starts K.

Last edited by blu4u; 08-18-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 01:40 PM

20,799 posts, read 8,548,639 times
I say keep her in preschool and speech. She needs social skills and interaction with kids her age in order to deal with Pre-K. I know as a parent it is hard to shuffle but I think at this point you need to do what is best for her.

Good Luck...she will do fine and this is something just for her and maybe what little songs and things she learns she can "teach" the baby.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
If the child still has speech delays in Kindergarten, then keeping the teacher out of the mix is silly. The teacher will certainly see the problems and delays and if she does not know that the child is getting services, she may be recommending services to the parents when she has conferences with them.

Aside from that, speech therapy costs quite a bit of money and may or may not be covered by insurance. If the speech therapist at the school is good (ours was), then it seem reasonable to get some services at school. Because the schools nowadays are much more open, there is no stigma attached to pull outs for speech or ot or other services.

Things really depend upon the school, the dx, the particular teachers and therapists more than on some generic, *it is best to keep the teacher uninformed.* If you want the best education for your child, it seems to me that the more information the teacher has about the child, the better.
"The teacher will certainly see the problems and delays and if she does not know that the child is getting services, she may be recommending services to the parents when she has conferences with them".
Great. If the teacher "notices" then the parents can share that D is recieving appropiate services And possible ask for feed back from the teacher. At some point, the SLP will observe Ds class room communication and ask for feed back form the teacher.

B]"speech therapy costs quite a bit of money and may or may not be covered by insurance."[/b]
Mute point. D is receiving state funded services and will continue to receive services as long as she remains qualified.

B]"schools nowadays are much more open, there is no stigma attached to pull outs"[/b]
While this may be your observation it is not generally true.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Correct. And there is no reason why, if still qualified, the her daughter can not continue to receive state fund services (outsdie of pull out or small group in-class program). What many classroom teachers don't understand that state funded services don't need to be delivered during class room hours.
Good luck convincing a district to do that! And you're missing the other part of the financial equation in my post you challenged. The OP plans to return to work full time when her daughter starts school. Who is going to drive this child to an speech appointment that's outside of school hours with both parents working in the afternoon?

Quote:
See class room teachers NORMALLY only have experience WITNESSING kids pulled during instructional time.

...Understandably class room teachers are not SLPSs and do not have the training or same access to resources. Class room teachers should stick to the areas qualified under their creditial. If IEP calls out in class mods $ accods, then that's the teachers job. Delivering Tx, deciding upon the appriorate venue is not the class room teachers job..
What does this have to do with anything? Nobody is advocating the classroom teacher be involved in her speech therapy.

OMG! Do you think I'm a classroom teacher? That's hilarious! It's not wise to jump to conclusions.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Good luck convincing a district to do that! And you're missing the other part of the financial equation in my post you challenged. The OP plans to return to work full time when her daughter starts school. Who is going to drive this child to an speech appointment that's outside of school hours with both parents working in the afternoon?

What does this have to do with anything? Nobody is advocating the classroom teacher be involved in her speech therapy.

OMG! Do you think I'm a classroom teacher? That's hilarious! It's not wise to jump to conclusions.
Who is going to drive this child to an speech appointment that's outside of school hours with both parents working in the afternoon

The same person taking care of the girl in the afternoon (evening /weekend). Pleanty of dual income families arrange for kids' after-school appointments, activities, supervision.

"Do you think I'm a classroom teacher?" Your comments are all based upon classroom observation, so I assumed. Since this seems to be your limited frame of refernce. It follows that you are unaware of alternative methods of delievering service. You are in good company, as many folks also buy into the urban myth that pull programs are the only available venue for TX. live and learn.

Last edited by blu4u; 08-18-2014 at 02:36 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Who is going to drive this child to an speech appointment that's outside of school hours with both parents working in the afternoon

The same person taking care of the girl in the afternoon (evening /weekend). Pleanty of dual income families arrange for kids' after-school appointments, activities, supervision.
The majority of children are in daycare centers instead of having private sitters who drive them to appointments during the day. That was my original point---most of what you recommend isn't feasible for the majority of parents. The OP may have a sitter, but she might not be planning to keep a more expensive sitter after her youngest is old enough for the OP to feel comfortable putting her in daycare. She might not want her sitter driving the children places for safety reasons.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:46 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,774,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
I have a very demanding 3 year old and a 9 month old. It took months to get in the swing of handling both of them since I stay at home, but even now, our 3 year old is still extremely jealous of her sister. I spend most of the day if we are home acting like a referee (sp) since she yanks things from her hands, has poked her hard, tells her she doesn't like her, (along with me about 100 times a day) and other 3 year old crap lol. The next minute she is patting her back telling her "I love you big sister.Believe me, she gets plenty of attention and knows she's loved, but I also have a baby to take care of too. She's been home with me since she was born and isn't watched by anyone other then me or my husband. My mother would watch her here or there as a baby, but hasn't in a long time.

So, my husband and I had originally not planned on sending her to preschool at 3, considering I went to school to teach and I'm home with her. We were going to wait until she was 4 to go to a free universal pre-k that is offered in my state. She has a speech delay, talks up a storm, but is very unclear. Except I understand her perfectly bc I'm with always with her. She started getting speech through our state preschool system in April. We don't have to pay for this which is a lifesaver since our insurance doesn't cover speech services and we can't afford $100 a week out of pocket. Her therapist, who I love and DD has become very attached to (and she can get shy and take a while to warm up to some people), suggested that if we could, sending her to preschool may help her with her speech. That is being around kids on a routine basis. So, I talked to DH about it, we found the cheapest, closest pre-school we could, and enrolled her in a 2 day a week 2 1/2 hour program. We go to story times since she was a baby, the park, so I try to get her around other kids. But, she doesn't have friends her age, which I sort of feel bad about, since thanks to FB it's all about "playdates" these days, and we don't have friends with kids her age.

So things have changed, DH had to take a 2nd job to continue have me staying home bc his overtime got cut and he expressed some concern that the $140 a month might be stretching it. He wanted to just pull her out. I did the budgeting and we can afford it, but now I got a part time job that starts in September so he could quit his 2nd job. The hours I will be working cause a conflict with her speech therapy time though. I spoke to her therapist who said she would work with me to fit her in somehow, but as of now, she can only fit her in during the time she would be at pre-school. She said we could wait and see if she can change around the times with new kids that may come in. Though, I'm going to bet that's no guarantee Of course, her getting speech is really important to us, so just cutting it out isn't an option. And I really don't want to switch therapists considering DD loves her and her speech has improved.

So, we could attempt to switch her days with the preschool, if they let us. Meaning Monday-Thursday I would have a ton of running around to do, all before I have to leave for work in the afternoon. There's a drop off at 9.am, a pick up, to get home quick to feed 2 kids, hopefully get the baby down for a nap, wait for a sitter then run to work. Of course, I would have 2 hours with just me and the baby, which I don't get with older DD home.

I'm just feeling a tiny bit bad about sending her off to school now, since I won't be home with her the full day, she's going to be left with a complete stranger, she's starting pre-school (her first time away from us), she's starting a new dance class (on Saturdays), re-starting speech, all in the same month. I don't know if it will all be "too much" for her I guess. Dh thinks we should either pull her or let her go a month, which makes no sense, then pull her. And for us, sending her this year was only so hopefully she would improve on her speech and maybe make some friends. Not bc I think she won't get into Harvard bc she didn't go to play school lol. She'll be in Pre-K next year too.

So, would you just suck it up, switch the days and send her. Or do you think it might be too much right now, for her and I? While I would like her to make friends, and for me to make friends with the other parents, not sure if all the running around is worth it. And maybe with just speech therapy alone she'll be fine.

We already paid a registration fee, Septembers tuiton and June tuition, so I would hate to be out all this money, though we could call and try to get some back.

What would you do?
If her own grandmother has stopped staying with her, that is a big red flag to me. Also, you state you can't afford the speech therapy but you have her in dance class? You need to work on her behavior before you put her with other students for her to "poke really hard". Some of the stuff you mention is not typical 3yo crap. It's spoiled 3yo crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting