U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:31 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,109,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I did not suggest this approach but since you took my quote as such I would ask you to please reread what you have quoted me as saying again. I said the OP handled the situation well in discussing it with her daughter but that it wasn't necessary to bring it up again as all was said and done and that it was only necessary to continue the conversation if her daughter brought it up again. You are stating she to "ignore it and internalize it" would not be the best approach and I agree. I never said she should ignore it. I certainly wouldn't have ignored it but I wouldn't have belabored the point either.

It's like when I was a kid and sometimes prejudiced people would say rude things about my religion to me. I would tell my mom and we would talk about people who were unkind and why and how they were out there in the world but we didn't have to let them hurt us. After a good discussion, that was the end of it. My parents didn't belabor the point and it didn't come again up unless I wanted to ask about it. What they did do was make it abundantly clear that if I ever wanted to discuss it again, they were there for me to talk about it.

That is the approach I believe the OP should take with her daughter.
I already talked with her about it after it happened. She's doing great. Thanks for all the great advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 06:43 AM

3,383 posts, read 2,504,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I've heard this sentiment before and what I think a lot of people have trouble understanding is that our minds evolve much quicker than our bodies do. Our bodies and the hormones associated with them are a product of millions of years of evolution while our modern culture is a product of hundreds to a few thousand years of intellectual development. It can take a very long time for our physical selves to catch up with the world our intellectual selves are trying to create...and then a generation later we may be trying to create something completely different.
Have to admit that - in the context of this thread - I am unsure what your point actually is here. Are you suggesting that our cultural evolution about equality between the sexes is beyond our physical evolution somehow - and that physical evolutionary differences between the sexes somehow precludes implementations of that intellectual ideal?

Or how is your point mapping onto this thread? I have to plead confusion here - I am just not getting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I did not suggest this approach but since you took my quote as such I would ask you to please reread what you have quoted me as saying again. I said the OP handled the situation well in discussing it with her daughter but that it wasn't necessary to bring it up again as all was said and done
Perhaps then - as you suggest - I did misread you.

What the OP did was handle the situation at the time - then they brought it up again outside afterwards. So when you said "I think you handled the situation well but is bringing it up again really a good idea?" I mis-read you as questioning whether the latter part of that had been a good idea - to bring it up again after departing the shop.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:48 AM

6,877 posts, read 2,563,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Have to admit that - in the context of this thread - I am unsure what your point actually is here. Are you suggesting that our cultural evolution about equality between the sexes is beyond our physical evolution somehow - and that physical evolutionary differences between the sexes somehow precludes implementations of that intellectual ideal?

Or how is your point mapping onto this thread? I have to plead confusion here - I am just not getting it.

Basically that is what I'm saying, yes. Although I wouldn't call it equality between the sexes, more like gender role interchangeability. I'm not saying it is an ideal we can't reach, mind you, just that cultural expectations of how quickly and smoothly the changes can take place absent tyranny are perhaps unrealistic. In other words don't be too quick to judge the poor old fool the OP was talking about in the opening post of the thread.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:11 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,035,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I decide to update. My daughter has had no ill effects and has been asking for more model airplane kits. She recently won a game of kickball, and when a boy said she didn't kick like a girl she told him..."I did kick like a girl. I was good."
Whew!

Old 10-26-2014, 06:01 PM

15,308 posts, read 16,874,788 times
Introduce her to Mo'ne Davis.

Mo'ne Davis Throws Out First Pitch : People.com

Old 10-27-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Basically that is what I'm saying, yes. Although I wouldn't call it equality between the sexes, more like gender role interchangeability. I'm not saying it is an ideal we can't reach, mind you, just that cultural expectations of how quickly and smoothly the changes can take place absent tyranny are perhaps unrealistic. In other words don't be too quick to judge the poor old fool the OP was talking about in the opening post of the thread.
Yet it is only BY judging such old fools that we can confront those kind of ideas and win the "war of ideas" that needs to be one to divest our culture of such archaic and baseless views.

Cultural evolution may be faster than physical evolution - but I see _no_ evolutionary arguments to justify the kinds of thinking the old man had.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:28 AM

4,294 posts, read 2,887,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Out of curiosity, how old is your daughter?
yeah me too... my daughter would not mind and she tough there was a time she go cry behind me not any more. I teach her to be strong and face for things what we don't like.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:58 AM

6,877 posts, read 2,563,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Yet it is only BY judging such old fools that we can confront those kind of ideas and win the "war of ideas" that needs to be one to divest our culture of such archaic and baseless views.

Cultural evolution may be faster than physical evolution - but I see _no_ evolutionary arguments to justify the kinds of thinking the old man had.
If it's a war you're after, sure. A war needs an enemy after all.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:57 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,109,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
yeah me too... my daughter would not mind and she tough there was a time she go cry behind me not any more. I teach her to be strong and face for things what we don't like.
She is nine and I wouldn't have her confront an angry adult male who was yelling. I removed her from the situation and talked with her about it. It has been resolved.

It wasn't just the ideas he was spouting, it was his mannerisms and voice level that i objected to.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:58 AM

Quote:
If it's a war you're after, sure. A war needs an enemy after all.
It is not that I am after one - but that society today pretty much already IS a war of ideas on many fronts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting