U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 AM

6,461 posts, read 6,096,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
I didn't read all the posts but 95% of what he said is what I would not agree with. I do agree women should not be in the military "front lines". Why because it is extremely demanding and physical.

This is the reason we have men and women's sports (basketball, volleyball, tennis, etc). It would not be physically equal. It is just a fact and the heavy equipment, baggage would be too much for a 5' 3" woman to handle as a marine or army. Women should not be grunts or camels lugging around heavy equipment or artillery. A sniper or sharpshooter having my back.. Yes. but not the really physical stuff. The same goes for a smaller framed guy. It is just basic anatomy.

But a woman can do most any other job a man can do. Yes, there are "some female anomalies" who would pulverize a regular man in MMA, football, weightlifting, and some may even belong on the front lines or even a navy seal, etc. Certainly a woman can be President, CEO, pilot, or anything else w/o eyebrow raising. It never raised my eyebrows. I just question the physical ability of the typical woman. Just as they think maybe I should be able to bench press 600 lbs.. It just depends on the individual. To discriminate w/o seeing the person's abilities or achievements is just wrong.

FYI: I love chess and applying the most powerful piece, the queen.
It's not his reasoning I have such an issue with. It's the fact that he imposed it on us. People can think whatever they want in the privacy of their minds.

It would t have surprised me to see spittle forming in the side of his mouth, because he was acting crazy.

Do you think what he did and said was appropriate? Nothing in your post addresses the fact that he was talking to a ten year old. I actually pushed her behind me and he was bobbing around me to look in her face. ( not in a threatening way though)

I don't want this to devolve into a " what women are physically capable of doing"thread. A new thread on that would be totally fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 09:21 AM

39,037 posts, read 37,675,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
To discriminate w/o seeing the person's abilities or achievements is just wrong.
You said it, so I don't have to.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 AM

84,964 posts, read 98,795,031 times
You know, to read this thread title you would think being "exposed" to misogyny is like being exposed to Ebola! Good grief! Blow it off. It just made him look bad, not you. It's a good lesson for your daughter to learn to not spout off your opinions to random people in a store.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:28 AM

13,009 posts, read 12,440,016 times
How about "I'm sorry, but I'm trying to teach my daughter proper manners, and you're modeling some very repugnant behavior. I don't want her to think that's acceptable. I'm respectfully asking you to please be quiet now."

Then turn to your daughter and tell her "It is intrusive and rude to comment on the purchases of strangers. Please don't behave like this in public."

Old 08-18-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, to read this thread title you would think being "exposed" to misogyny is like being exposed to Ebola! Good grief! Blow it off. It just made him look bad, not you. It's a good lesson for your daughter to learn to not spout off your opinions to random people in a store.
I can be hurt by something and react how I want. Good grief!

I have since calmed down about it. If you had read the thread, you would see that.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:45 AM

84,964 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I can be hurt by something and react how I want. Good grief!

I have since calmed down about it. If you had read the thread, you would see that.
I've read the entire thread; this is my first post on the situation. I have two daughters. If the overwhelming message the girls get from their parents, teachers, youth directors and the like is "girls/women can do anything", who cares what some nitwit in a hobby shop thinks?

Old 08-18-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I've read the entire thread; this is my first post on the situation. I have two daughters. If the overwhelming message the girls get from their parents, teachers, youth directors and the like is "girls/women can do anything", who cares what some nitwit in a hobby shop thinks?
Well then I agree with you.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:09 AM

3,430 posts, read 5,757,800 times
My 4 year old daughter is super into Spider Man. She loves her Cinderellas and Belles and Snow Whites but Spider Man is right there with them. She happily announces it too "Hi I'm E----, I'm 4 and Spider Man is my favorite and I am so smart" thats how she greets people every single time. I always tell her sometimes boys play with girl toys and sometimes girls play with boys toys and that's okay.

She had a guy ask her if she really wanted the Spider Man figure she had in her hand and not a Princess dress. Her reply " Sometimes kids have two moms and sometimes they have two dads, and sometimes girls just want a boys toy, and sometimes boys just want a girl toy and that's all okay too." Walked away... So I just kinda balled the ugly proud cry in the store.. Never phased her and I didn't worry after that about her worrying about what people thought.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:19 AM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Hey OP, I don't know if your daughter is into sports in general or baseball in particular but I am utterly in awe of this girl, Mo'ne Davis.

Mo'ne Davis Is a 70-mph Ace - WSJ

Not just a role model for girls, but a reminder that when you level the playing field, the girls can beat the stuffing out of the boys.

Adds a whole new meaning to throwing like a girl.
She's fantastic! Our Pearland Little League team just played against her team in the nationals.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:22 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,361,509 times
You are in for a very painful life if this incident broke your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting