U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 12:46 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,806,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
So if you saw a person verbally abusing their young children, you wouldn't be bothered. After all, she has freedom of speech.
I didn't say I wouldn't be bothered. I said it could be dangerous to reprimand someone as volatile as you're trying to portray her. I've seen some scary women out there being verbally abusive that I have no doubt would pulverize me if I said something to them about it. What you're proposing isn't logical based on the personality type of a person who is too sensitive to hear swear words. I can't imagine a woman so delicate having the courage to stand up to an outrageously verbally abusive person. The very fact a woman did confront her indicates to me that the Ohio woman wasn't as over-the-top as you think. Obviously the South Carolina woman felt safe trying to reprimand the woman.

Quote:
There is a huge difference between sharing your thoughts and opinions, however unpopular, and screaming obscenities at people. I am not a fan of cops, but I have seen most have a high threshold for verbal abuse. At some point its "ma'am your going to jail".
I have no doubt she was furious when the police arrived. My problem is your claiming she was out of control BEFORE the woman reprimanded her. I think it's more likely that the situation escalated from there.

Quote:
No one has to put up with verbal abuse and children should be stuck up for when they are being victimized.
She didn't abuse her children. She told her husband to stop squishing the f-ing bread.

Even if she said that to her child, do you really think that saying swear words around children victimizes children?

There are two families on my street that have a mother from one family and a father from the other family constantly swearing obscenities at their children. Heck, the father swears obscenities at the other family's children too. While I don't appreciate the loud screaming and could do without hearing the swear words, those children are far from being victimized. They are spoiled little brats who never listen to their parents. I'd defend them if I heard the parents saying demeaning things like "you're a loser" or whatever. What I hear is "I told you to get off my f-ing property!" or "Give me my f-ing shoes" because the kids like to snatch things and taunt the parents. The kids think it's funny to make these parents flip out. They laugh at the parents. I think they need to have their butts beaten, and I don't even believe in corporal punishment. If anyone is the victim, it's the parents, but they are victims of their own incompetent parenting raising spoiled brats who never have consequences for their behavior.

Quote:
The mom is minimizing her behavior, clearly. My gut feeling is it was much worse then she is willing to own.
Then you don't understand the differences between the people from Ohio and South Carolina. I live in Pennsylvania and I have lived in North Carolina. There are completely different social standards. That's why I think it's highly likely a minor faux pas was blown way out of proportion and escalated into quite a scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 01:02 PM

421 posts, read 454,087 times
She was arrested for disordly conduct. It doesn't matter when her conduct was disorderly. Before or after a stranger chimed in

All these assumptions, at least I label mine as assumptions and gut feels. No one here knows the story yet people are getting their panties in a knot.

I have another view, that it is unlikely she was arrested just for an f word. That there is a lot more to the story. When I first heard it I thought same as the lions share here. But after thinking about it more and looking at the tiny amount of info given, I feel it is highly likely there is more to the story then the headline.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:05 PM

421 posts, read 454,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You may be "sure", still doesn't make it so.

Relevance?
That police reports are not the entire story

Old 08-17-2014, 01:07 PM

15,947 posts, read 13,404,876 times
Quote:
She was arrested for disordly conduct. It doesn't matter when her conduct was disorderly. Before or after a stranger chimed in

All these assumptions, at least I label mine as assumptions and gut feels. No one here knows the story yet people are getting their panties in a knot.

I have another view, that it is unlikely she was arrested just for an f word. That there is a lot more to the story. When I first heard it I thought same as the lions share here. But after thinking about it more and looking at the tiny amount of info given, I feel it is highly likely there is more to the story then the headline.
Did you see the police report?

It is available online. It says quite clearly what she was arrested for and why.

So really, no reason to go with your "gut" when it is right there in back and white. Hell, I will even post it for you.

http://ftpcontent5.worldnow.com/wjbf...t_Redacted.pdf

Old 08-17-2014, 01:08 PM

15,947 posts, read 13,404,876 times
Quote:
That police reports are not the entire story
You cannot arrest someone for something and not include it in the arresting officers report. That is so illegal as to be horrifying.

It literally says she was arrested for disorderly conduct pursuant to the phrase "stop squishing the ****ign bread".

Old 08-17-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
She was arrested for disordly conduct. It doesn't matter when her conduct was disorderly. Before or after a stranger chimed in.
It does matter if it was before or after when you're making the assumption she was victimizing her children and out of control before the woman even approached her about her swearing.

Quote:
But there is no indication whatsoever that her children were being victimized like you claim. It seems to me that the woman reprimanding her was the tipping point that lead to the police being called.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

It is available online. It says quite clearly what she was arrested for and why.

So really, no reason to go with your "gut" when it is right there in back and white. Hell, I will even post it for you.

That's an impressively detailed report. If she was belligerent with the officer, I'm certain it would have been included in the report. Yet the report clearly states she was arrested for telling her children to "stop squishing the f-ing bread."

Old 08-17-2014, 02:13 PM

Here's information about the motives of the witness:

Quote:
Michelle Smith, the woman who reported Wolf to the police, later apologized to Wolf over the phone, and the call was recorded in a video by WAGT.

In the video, Smith explains that she never intended to have Wolf arrested and that she was only trying to advocate for the children. She noted that hearing Wolf's cursing triggered memories of her abusive childhood. "It took me back to a very hard time, and no one ever stood up for me," she stated, adding, "I apologize for getting into your business."

South Carolina Mom Arrested For Cursing In Front Of Her Kids

Old 08-17-2014, 02:14 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,318,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

Thanks for posting the report. Completely ridiculous arrest!

Old 08-17-2014, 02:56 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,098,012 times
So the nosy woman was standing up for the children who she thinks were being victimized and called the police which then resulted in the mother being arrested in front of her children........Now what do we think traumatized the children in this particular situation.

I can't see any other outcome from this other than it being thrown out of court. If she is convicted, I would appeal it and keep appealing and make it cost the city as much money as possible and at the same time cause the nosy woman who has to come to court to testify as a witness to take off work and go sit in court multiple times. I would think the ACLU will get involved because this does become a Freedom of speech issue since she was arrested by a government official (police officer).

This is the sort of thing that makes me want to round up all my friends and anyone else that will come along and go to the store and just walk around cussing up a storm......."Hey dave, grab a ****ing 2 liter coke", "Hey bill, you want some of these ****ing chips?"......"Steve what the **** are you doing with that asparagus?" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or