Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
Did anyone see the video. This woman did her self no favors. I didn't think she should be arrested for dropping the f bomb but I think there is way more to the story after watching the woman in question give an interview. She was ... Yeah she gave me bad vibes for sure.

I think there was way more then "dont smash the f-ing bread". I bet she was verbally abusive to everyone around her, including the cop and the lady who reported.

Of course I wasn't there but its my gut feel.
None of that justifies her being arrested. A stranger had the nerve to reprimand her about her language. Do you really think that wouldn't escalate to her verbally abusing the women with more swear words? She's lucky that's all that happened because it can be downright dangerous to interject yourself into someone's life like that. As for the police, I agree with Natsku, I'd be using more than the f-word if I was arrested for swearing.

It's a big cultural awakening for her. She's not in Ohio anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 09:26 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Did anyone see the video. This woman did her self no favors. I didn't think she should be arrested for dropping the f bomb but I think there is way more to the story after watching the woman in question give an interview. She was ... Yeah she gave me bad vibes for sure.

I think there was way more then "dont smash the f-ing bread". I bet she was verbally abusive to everyone around her, including the cop and the lady who reported.

Of course I wasn't there but its my gut feel.
This is the problem.

So whet if she was mean? Freedom of speech means even not nice speech is protected. She has the right to tell the lady who reported her to go f--- herself, same for the cop. You can't constitutionally arrest people for what they say. Even if you think a snapshot of time warrants claiming "verbal abuse" than call cps, start an investigation, whatever, but it is fundamentally unconstitutional to limit someone's speech by arresting them.

I hope she gets an ACLU lawyer and gets that stupid, very old law off the books.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:17 AM

421 posts, read 556,408 times
You actually don't have the right to verbally abuse anyone. That's why we have laws about it. Standards of conduct are not going against freedom of speech.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
None of that justifies her being arrested. A stranger had the nerve to reprimand her about her language. Do you really think that wouldn't escalate to her verbally abusing the women with more swear words? She's lucky that's all that happened because it can be downright dangerous to interject yourself into someone's life like that. As for the police, I agree with Natsku, I'd be using more than the f-word if I was arrested for swearing.

It's a big cultural awakening for her. She's not in Ohio anymore.
So if you saw a person verbally abusing their young children, you wouldn't be bothered. After all, she has freedom of speech.

There is a huge difference between sharing your thoughts and opinions, however unpopular, and screaming obscenities at people. I am not a fan of cops, but I have seen most have a high threshold for verbal abuse. At some point its "ma'am your going to jail".

No one has to put up with verbal abuse and children should be stuck up for when they are being victimized.

The mom is minimizing her behavior, clearly. My gut feeling is it was much worse then she is willing to own.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:26 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WJBF News Channel 6 has learned that the North Augusta woman who was arrested after allegedly saying the F-word in front of her kids
WHAT THE F- Auuugh help they're coming to take me away

Old 08-17-2014, 10:30 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
So if you saw a person verbally abusing their young children, you wouldn't be bothered. After all, she has freedom of speech.

There is a huge difference between sharing your thoughts and opinions, however unpopular, and screaming obscenities at people. I am not a fan of cops, but I have seen most have a high threshold for verbal abuse. At some point its "ma'am your going to jail".

No one has to put up with verbal abuse and children should be stuck up for when they are being victimized.

The mom is minimizing her behavior, clearly. My gut feeling is it was much worse then she is willing to own.
It's in the police report linked in the OP.

The mom said "stop squishing the f*ing bread".

Whatever else you imagine she did before or after is nothing more than assumption.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It's in the police report linked in the OP.

The mom said "stop squishing the f*ing bread".

Whatever else you imagine she did before or after is nothing more than assumption.
Thats what she said she said. The witness said she was spouting off everywhere. I was in a situation where the person arrested was mostly for spouting off, but he had other charges too. The police report wasn't much more detailed then that form. It says what they were told and top how they transport the arrested. I'm sure there is more info out there before anyone really can say what happened.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:06 AM

In a situation where a man I know was physically attacked, sustained a head injury that required lots of stitches and the wife was taken to a psych hospital for evaluation, the police report stated "assailant was victims wife"

That is all.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:42 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Thats what she said she said. The witness said she was spouting off everywhere. I was in a situation where the person arrested was mostly for spouting off, but he had other charges too. The police report wasn't much more detailed then that form. It says what they were told and top how they transport the arrested. I'm sure there is more info out there before anyone really can say what happened.
You may be "sure", still doesn't make it so.

Quote:
In a situation where a man I know was physically attacked, sustained a head injury that required lots of stitches and the wife was taken to a psych hospital for evaluation, the police report stated "assailant was victims wife"

That is all.
Relevance?

Old 08-17-2014, 11:45 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
You actually don't have the right to verbally abuse anyone. That's why we have laws about it. Standards of conduct are not going against freedom of speech.
Of course it is.

You accept that the constitution is the highest law in the country right?

Well profanity is included under the constitution. The police office is acting as a government official, and as such is even less protected that a private citizen from being exposed to profanity. The case law on profanity and freedom of speech is predigious.

Profanity & the First Amendment | First Amendment Center

faqs
Freedom of Speech
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting