Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 04:36 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
I think I agree with this, especially for kids who cant regulate well. I love going at the bag when I am mad, and it does get me worked up. But...I know how to then bring myself down again.
This is mostly true, but it doesn't address kids with sensory processing issues who need deep pressure feedback to ground themselves. Not that punching is ideal, but it's a good idea to learn actual safe, physical methods to deal with overwhelming emotions, especially if you plan to foster kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 04:44 PM

192 posts, read 403,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
This is mostly true, but it doesn't address kids with sensory processing issues who need deep pressure feedback to ground themselves. Not that punching is ideal, but it's a good idea to learn actual safe, physical methods to deal with overwhelming emotions, especially if you plan to foster kids.
Very true. While I think karate can be a great suggestion if it is in the budget (and I know foster parents don't get paid much plus around here a good karate school is a long-term commitment), children with serious aggression issues also need other help. I personally know a child who has taken classes for over a year and it has been of help with focusing attention but it has not stopped them from hitting and punching the adults who care for them, that ended up needing counselling and medication. I don't think there is a blanket answer here, the exact child's issues need to be gone over with the foster care agency.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:53 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yep. It also teaches kids to think ahead. Kids can be taught boxing and never take a punch.
Same with martial arts classes. Kids should be well ADVANCED in martial art classes before they practice against another person.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Of course they are, but it isn't enough to properly raise, cloth and feed a kid let alone pay for martial arts classes!!!
How much do you think it costs monthly to feed a clothe a child?

Quote:
Martial arts classes where I am -- good ones -- run $30 a class!!! And if you don't take them AT LEAST twice a week you get nothing out of them.
Where I live, karate averages $100/month for unlimited classes---uniforms are free.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:00 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How much do you think it costs monthly to feed a clothe a child?

Where I live, karate averages $100/month for unlimited classes---uniforms are free.
I know several foster parents (I am not one). They aren't paid ENOUGH to pay for the actual out of pockets costs of these kids if they are treating the kids the same as their own. And they are basically providing FREE child care 24:7. No one in their right mind does this for a profit. Yet the community at large seems to think that the homeless children in their community should be cared for by foster parents and not pay them nearly enough for that job.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I know several foster parents (I am not one). They aren't paid ENOUGH to pay for the actual out of pockets costs of these kids if they are treating the kids the same as their own. And they are basically providing FREE child care 24:7. No one in their right mind does this for a profit. Yet the community at large seems to think that the homeless children in their community should be cared for by foster parents and not pay them nearly enough for that job.
You didn't answer my question: How much do you think it costs each month to feed and clothe a child?

Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
How did the OP's question morph into the cost of raising a child?

If a punching bag is deemed an acceptable outlet for the foster child, second hand sports stores such as Play It Again Sports frequently have them for sale.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
How did the OP's question morph into the cost of raising a child?
It hasn't. Someone questioned if a foster parent can afford karate classes as a healthier alternative to punching bag.

Quote:
If a punching bag is deemed an acceptable outlet for the foster child, second hand sports stores such as Play It Again Sports frequently have them for sale.
Many feel a punching bag isn't an acceptable outlet for the child described in the OP.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:31 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It hasn't. Someone questioned if a foster parent can afford karate classes as a healthier alternative to punching bag.

Many feel a punching bag isn't an acceptable outlet for the child described in the OP.
That was the OP's question though, and I think if it is or isn't is best left up to the experts.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
That was the OP's question though, and I think if it is or isn't is best left up to the experts.
He came to us at CD asking if it was a healthy solution. He didn't ask the experts.

Since you're nitpicking, he didn't ask where he could buy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting