U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2014, 01:32 PM
 
672 posts, read 612,883 times
Reputation: 1198

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
I'm reading my OP over again and fail to see anything demanding or accusatory. I have a feeling I've touched a nerve here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
I am fairly certain that everything you've just posted was based on your own preexisting beliefs about these types of questions, and the irony of that is not lost on me.
Really? You are here to feed your beleifs that you have made a rational decision and others that haven't made those choices aren't rational people. Your here to troll the parents of this forum.

I think you did a find job reinforcing peoples beliefs of those that asks these types of questions.

You were judgmental but not as subtle as you believed.

You stated your not judging then you stick in your objections where you can.

So lets paraphrase a few of your subtle snarks.

So your asking
why do people have kids, when there are so many orphans.
Your decision to have children affects me and everyone else, so why do you do it ?
Why are you people living like Neanderthals and procreating like rabbits?
My friends and I are enlighten, educated, logical and rational, What are you?


Here are a few that came after the first cry of not judging others.



Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
I submit that if you do not have a logical, rational reason for the decisions you make in your life, you might need to think a little harder about why it is that you do what you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
And there are far more orphans than we can ever hope to adopt in this day and age.

So, my question stands. Give me a logical reason to procreate? If you believe there is no logical reason to procreate, then why continue to do it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
They have logical, rational reasons for not wanting kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
And if we're saying that there is no logical, rational reason to bring another human being into this world, then why is that seen as ok from a societal standpoint?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
. And also, I would make the argument that your decision to have children affects very many more people than just you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post

What I'm really asking is, now that we are no longer cavemen, living off the land and fighting for survival, is the biological urge to pass on my genes a good reason to procreate in modern society?

 
Old 08-24-2014, 01:35 PM
 
5,917 posts, read 4,089,036 times
Reputation: 16282
Adding: there are many similar threads in other 'appropriate' forums here, philosophy, great debates, etc. Probably a dozen or so, all rife with good answers to the OP's question.

It's disingenuous to post it here.

I look forward to his next post in the Pet/Dogs forum: Is it rational to bring dogs into restaurants?
 
Old 08-24-2014, 01:38 PM
 
1,551 posts, read 1,598,826 times
Reputation: 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Pet/Dogs forum: Is it rational to bring dogs into restaurants?
I think that's a perfectly rational question to ask dog owners. It's certainly not the kind of question to ask non-dog owners.

Again, this bias you all have perceived is not real. I ask a question, you answer. Simple.
 
Old 08-24-2014, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,078 posts, read 99,155,665 times
Reputation: 31559
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
That's a fine answer. Thanks.
I'm sure the poster is thrilled you think her answer is "fine".
 
Old 08-24-2014, 01:41 PM
 
1,551 posts, read 1,598,826 times
Reputation: 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
Really? You are here to feed your beleifs that you have made a rational decision and others that haven't made those choices aren't rational people. Your here to troll the parents of this forum.

I think you did a find job reinforcing peoples beliefs of those that asks these types of questions.

You were judgmental but not as subtle as you believed.

You stated your not judging then you stick in your objections where you can.

So lets paraphrase a few of your subtle snarks.

So your asking
why do people have kids, when there are so many orphans.
Your decision to have children affects me and everyone else, so why do you do it ?
Why are you people living like Neanderthals and procreating like rabbits?
My friends and I are enlighten, educated, logical and rational, What are you?


Here are a few that came after the first cry of not judging others.
Find any comment where I'm telling people what they should or shouldn't do. I'm only asking the question why. That's not judgement, sweetheart. That's just a question. And if it offends you that I ask it, I think that says something about you.
 
Old 08-24-2014, 01:42 PM
 
1,551 posts, read 1,598,826 times
Reputation: 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm sure the poster is thrilled you think her answer is "fine".
I just meant as opposed to the constant trolling I'm getting from the likes of you and a few others.
 
Old 08-24-2014, 01:44 PM
 
672 posts, read 612,883 times
Reputation: 1198
I don't need to look at my children and explain a rational, logical reason for their existence. No parent should. That would be inhuman.

That's what eugenicists, racists and elitists do.
Which one are you?

Why do people who don't have children feed the need by taking on other mammals such as dogs and cats and pretend they are their human children? I like animals, I love my pets but they aren't human.
Is it rational?
 
Old 08-24-2014, 01:44 PM
 
5,917 posts, read 4,089,036 times
Reputation: 16282
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
I just meant as opposed to the constant trolling I'm getting from the likes of you and a few others.
You got your answer(s), right?
 
Old 08-24-2014, 01:44 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,452,523 times
Reputation: 32248
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post

Again, this bias you all have perceived is not real.
Sure it is!

In post #20 you not only extrapolated an answer out of thin air you gave you managed to create a snarky response to it. Quite impressive.
 
Old 08-24-2014, 01:46 PM
 
1,551 posts, read 1,598,826 times
Reputation: 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
I don't need to look at my children and explain a rational, logical reason for their existence. No parent should. That would be inhuman.
I'm putting this into the "not logical or rational" category. Thanks for your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top