Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 05:12 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Listen, I'm not asking if it's "right" or "wrong" for people to have kids. I'm only asking if people think there's a logical reason to have kids.

And if we're saying that there is no logical, rational reason to bring another human being into this world, then why is that seen as ok from a societal standpoint?
I didn't say you were asking if it was right or wrong, and I really don't care. I also didn't say it was not rational. I said it wasn't from a logical standpoint.

Society does not get get to dictate whether a person has children. Why isn't it ok for a person to have children?

How do you think you got here to post this ridiculous thread? Because it is ok to have children.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:13 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I didn't say you were asking if it was right or wrong, and I really don't care. I also didn't say it was not rational. I said it wasn't from a logical standpoint.

Society does not get get to dictate whether a person has children. Why isn't it ok for a person to have children?

How do you think you got here to post this ridiculous thread? Because it is ok to have children.
You are certainly acting like I am trying to judge people and I'm not. ("Because it is ok to have children.")Perhaps I should have posted this "ridiculous" thread in Philosophy.

And my presence here does not make conception logical or justify my existence one iota. Nor does yours.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
You are certainly acting like I am trying to judge people and I'm not. ("Because it is ok to have children.")Perhaps I should have posted this "ridiculous" thread in Philosophy.

And my presence here does not make conception logical or justify my existence one iota. Nor does yours.
I think that perhaps you probably should have. This is a board for parents. Of course we are going to think it is ok to have children and don't think society has anything to do with it.

But seriously, how do you think you got here?

Old 08-24-2014, 08:02 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
And I mean to actually conceive, carry and deliver your own biological child.

What's your reason? Is it emotional? Biological? Spiritual?

Not passing judgement. Just want to know others' thoughts on the subject.
Its very simple really. For many of us, the intrinsic joys of parenthood (playing with your children, going to school activities, teaching your children skills, seeing the excitement in their faces on Christmas morning) outweigh the costs involved in raising a child.

Why do some people find jobs as coaches and teachers to be their first choice? Why do many men volunteer their time as scoutmasters and leaders of youth groups in church? It has to do with the fact that training, molding, and nurturing children/young people provides a source of deep satisfaction for many adults.

I don't expect everyone to share my values. However, if you can't at least understand what I am saying than I feel very sorry for you indeed.

Last edited by markg91359; 08-24-2014 at 08:40 AM..

Old 08-24-2014, 08:14 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Of course we are going to think it is ok to have children and don't think society has anything to do with it.
Round and round we go. I'm not asking if you think it's "ok" to have kids. Obviously you think it's "ok". My question is do you think it's logical or rational to have kids?

Old 08-24-2014, 08:34 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
nature and logic doesn't always enter into something that is driven naturally. logic sometimes also does not enter into emotions that are so heavily connected to love.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:36 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The decision to be a parent, regardless of how it's accomplished, is not something that is based on logic and rationality.

Give me one logical, rational reason for falling in love.
Perfect answer!

Old 08-24-2014, 09:04 AM

526 posts, read 898,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I know it sounds mean, but i just don't think I could love someone else's biological kid in the same way as my own. I'm a man too, I'm sure for a woman it's even more so. I think the painful process of giving birth is part of why women are so crazy about their children, not that some adoptive mothers aren't wonderful or better than many birth mothers of course.

once my mother was lamenting not being a grandparent - I reminded her of my brothers stepdaughters; she blew those girls off saying they are not "mine" I guess some people feel it's important to replicate themselves (I thought it was important not to)

Old 08-24-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Round and round we go. I'm not asking if you think it's "ok" to have kids. Obviously you think it's "ok". My question is do you think it's logical or rational to have kids?
Well I answered that in my very first post. I do not think it has much of anything to do with logic.

Logic:

noun
the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference.
a particular method of reasoning or argumentation:
We were unable to follow his logic.
the system or principles of reasoning applicable to any branch of knowledge or study.
reason or sound judgment, as in utterances or actions:
There wasn't much logic in her move.
convincing forcefulness; inexorable truth or persuasiveness:
the irresistible logic of the facts.
Computers. logic circuit.

Rational:

adjective
agreeable to reason; reasonable; sensible:
a rational plan for economic development.
having or exercising reason, sound judgment, or good sense:
a calm and rational negotiator.
being in or characterized by full possession of one's reason; sane; lucid:
The patient appeared perfectly rational.
endowed with the faculty of reason:
rational beings.
of, pertaining to, or constituting reasoning powers:
the rational faculty.
proceeding or derived from reason or based on reasoning:
a rational explanation.

Conception, childbirth, and the caring of your child have nothing to do with this, except it being rational that if you have sex, you may conceive. If you conceive, it is rational that you should care for the child.

People that have children, unless they do not want them, do it out of love.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:35 AM

Wait! It is logical that if a man wishes to have his family name carried on, he must have a son. Now that is logical and rational. Whether or not he cares or loves the child may not come into play.

There.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting