U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 05:38 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,362,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
This is not being independent. ..this is creating a problem where there isn't one and making his child and maybe an entire program pay for it.
In your opinion of course .....

Old 08-27-2014, 05:41 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,362,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I doubt that is the reason why. Perhaps they are having a problem with parents interfering during the music lesson. Or perhaps they have issues with security with having unknown adults present and not wanting to be responsible for having an adult get alone with a child and causing harm. They must know that some of these kids are going to be singing the songs at home so their parents will hear the music anyway.

One more thought -- the email may have caused them some concern, however. By sending the email instead of having a direct conversation with them they now know that you are documenting your concerns and they may have gone into protective mode. Keeping parents away however, is not going to have much impact on whether parents like or dislike their choice of songs.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:49 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,792,833 times
OP what exactly are you hoping to achieve?

Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,892,964 times
I suspect that it is a common thing for parents be kept from practices. I doubt if your e-mail had anything to do with it. This message, and any like it, would be the usual notice to the parents. I'm sure you know that if parents could stay, quite a few would have questions to ask about the practice. That's not the way to teach young children.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:12 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,380,841 times
No more pencils
No more books
No more teacher's dirty looks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ba ba ba boom de ay
We had no school today
Our teacher passed away
We threw her in the bay!

Last edited by Fox Terrier; 08-27-2014 at 06:22 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 06:40 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,650,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2seeker View Post
It is not about the song and the exposure. It is about whether songs like this should come from TEACHERS, who I respect and want my kids to respect. What if the teacher teaches a song, intended to be silly, that says "I like to smoke a cigarette in the classroom, see my teacher screaming, other girls looking at me". also funny, right? and do you see the difference if this line is in a pop song or in one taught by a teacher?
The cigarette line would be pointless in this debate because it's an illicit activity for minors-- and you wouldn't like it any more if it came from peers. Not liking school is not on that level. As for the rest of the song, I'm sure it would be funny for my kid (more absurd for me)... but this isnt going to make my kid a delinquent. Kids humor... Well, it's different.

My kid is 7 years old. Last year, she had to sing this one song which incidentally I hate, always had. But she seemed to enjoy doing this actvity with her peers, all I had to was smile and nod. She's (thankfully) forgotten the song now. OP, you're putting more weight and an adult perspective on the "situation". The odds are your child are going to forget the song later. As for your teacher argument, you should be looking at the big picture... Does the teacher educate well? Does she interact with the kids as well as she teach? How does she treat your child? That's what sets the tone, not one "silly" song.

What were you hoping to accomplish with the email after already discussing your concern with the teacher?

Old 08-27-2014, 06:53 PM

45 posts, read 37,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
OP what exactly are you hoping to achieve?
I simply want to express my concern and communicate. I thought communication is good, if done in a civil way.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:59 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,052,184 times
It's a song for Pete's sake! Take a chill pill and relax.

I still sing the song about dead bodies where the worms crawl in. The worms crawl out.....and no I don't have a basement full of corpses. It's just a goofy song. Then there's Miss Mary Mack all dressed in black black black.....no idea if she was going to a funeral or just liked black.....that's all I remember from 1st grade and here we are 35 years later and I still sing that part!

Seriously, get a grip! This is a America...we don't tend to have a stick shoved up our arse like other countries. Embrace our culture or be miserable.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
The cigarette line would be pointless in this debate because it's an illicit activity for minors-- and you wouldn't like it any more if it came from peers. Not liking school is not on that level. As for the rest of the song, I'm sure it would be funny for my kid (more absurd for me)... but this isnt going to make my kid a delinquent. Kids humor... Well, it's different.

My kid is 7 years old. Last year, she had to sing this one song which incidentally I hate, always had. But she seemed to enjoy doing this actvity with her peers, all I had to was smile and nod. She's (thankfully) forgotten the song now. OP, you're putting more weight and an adult perspective on the "situation". The odds are your child are going to forget the song later. As for your teacher argument, you should be looking at the big picture... Does the teacher educate well? Does she interact with the kids as well as she teach? How does she treat your child? That's what sets the tone, not one "silly" song.

What were you hoping to accomplish with the email after already discussing your concern with the teacher?
"you're putting more weight and an adult perspective on the "situation""
In my opinion, rushing to assume that it is normal for kids to like TV/iPOD than books (even it is statistically true) is exactly putting an adult perspective. I honestly have been amazed by how much my kid loves science, piano and healthy food. wired, right? we never forced him. We just kept talking about scientific facts in understandable language, because I am able to with my background. The big thing I learned from my kid is every baby is born to have the potential to be smart, healthy, and rational. It is the messages that they absorb along the road that gradually changes them. My opinion.

"The odds are your child are going to forget the song later"
But some message may have stuck, especially it is from someone who "my dear mom and dad seem to trust".

"Does the teacher educate well..."
Oh, no complaints about that. The teacher was great. She was passionate and very skillful in communicating with the kids.

"What were you hoping to accomplish with the email after already discussing your concern with the teacher?"
You probably notice I have language barriers. I mentioned it, but not sure if the teacher understood me, because she did not really give me an answer. I really forgot what she said. It seemed that she kind of politely avoided the question. So I thought I was probably too sensitive about this. So I thought let's ask on the internet, because no one can throw stones at me, right?

Old 08-27-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
It's a song for Pete's sake! Take a chill pill and relax.

I still sing the song about dead bodies where the worms crawl in. The worms crawl out.....and no I don't have a basement full of corpses. It's just a goofy song. Then there's Miss Mary Mack all dressed in black black black.....no idea if she was going to a funeral or just liked black.....that's all I remember from 1st grade and here we are 35 years later and I still sing that part!

Seriously, get a grip! This is a America...we don't tend to have a stick shoved up our arse like other countries. Embrace our culture or be miserable.
But don't be too proud though. I see other countries are improving on freedom, but USA is on the opposite direction. And you can say that people who overcome so much to come here probably know how to appreciate the free culture here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or