U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2014, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Brentwood
818 posts, read 941,378 times
Reputation: 1380

Advertisements

I don't think the OP really wanted to hear anyone else's opinion. Their mind was made up about the song long before they posted. They were looking for validation that they should be concerned. While they got validation from a few responders, the overwhelming majority thought that concern was unwarranted.

Now the OP just seems to want to argue.

 
Old 09-06-2014, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,305 posts, read 10,044,600 times
Reputation: 20460
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2seeker View Post

I am an immigrant, with a PhD from the US. I feel the pop culture often portrays schools as boring and academically accomplished students as un-cool. But a song like this is taught to a 6-year old by a teacher?

Am I being too sensitive here?
Yeah you're far too sensitive. Sorry, but I DID find school boring! I was so bored in school that I was labeled a trouble maker and was threatened to be held back. My mom and dad got really involved and kept trying to explain that I wasn't engaged because I was bored because I already knew what they were teaching. My mom started teaching me at home when I was 3 years old because I was a curious child and having workbooks kept me busy.

He's 6! Relax. If your'e already this uptight, you're going to need therapy by the time the kid gets to high school. It's a song! There's nothing about killing people or running over people or hurting animals. If stuff like that was in the song, then I'd be concerned.
 
Old 09-06-2014, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,305 posts, read 10,044,600 times
Reputation: 20460
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
LOL. Are you serious? Americans just have that stick shoved up for different issues (nudity, sex, the war on Christmas)
The vast majority who have issues with nudity and sex are religious. Funny how Catholics are uptight about sex (I'm Catholic so I can judge), yet no one has booted all the molesting priests or changed the rules about priests and nuns being celibate.

I have no idea what war on Christmas you're talking about. Maybe the nut jobs who plow over people at WalMart on Black Friday?
 
Old 09-06-2014, 10:26 PM
 
11,014 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Reputation: 19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I have no idea what war on Christmas you're talking about. Maybe the nut jobs who plow over people at WalMart on Black Friday?
Just search Youtube for War on Christmas. You'll get any number of videos from Bill O'Reilly, Fox and Friends, etc. And videos of Jon Stewart making fun of Bill O'Reilly, Fox and Friends, etc. for their War on Christmas. Its mostly just about how a lot of businesses wish people Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.
 
Old 09-06-2014, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,305 posts, read 10,044,600 times
Reputation: 20460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Just search Youtube for War on Christmas. You'll get any number of videos from Bill O'Reilly, Fox and Friends, etc. And videos of Jon Stewart making fun of Bill O'Reilly, Fox and Friends, etc. for their War on Christmas. Its mostly just about how a lot of businesses wish people Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.
I don't watch any of that junk. Have zero interest in any of them. Where I live, everyone wishes you either a Happy Christmas (we have several Victorian villages and they play up the part at the holidays) or Merry Christmas.
 
Old 09-07-2014, 12:31 AM
 
Location: California
29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
Reputation: 24725
In America we sing silly songs and kids will be exposed to things you personally don't like in school. That's actually by design.

Welcome.
 
Old 09-07-2014, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,958 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Reputation: 31371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
There's nothing about killing people or running over people or hurting animals. If stuff like that was in the song, then I'd be concerned.
Why are those things wrong yet a song about hating school is just fine? I mean, a song's a song, right?
 
Old 09-07-2014, 11:38 AM
 
11,014 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Reputation: 19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why are those things wrong yet a song about hating school is just fine? I mean, a song's a song, right?
Its not really a song about hating school though. Its not like the kids are singing f*** these books f**** this work, I just want to f****** leave this place and never come back.

Its a song about kids that are ready for the end of the school day. Its no different then on kid TV shows (or movies) where they show the students anxiously staring at the clock waiting for the dismissal bell to ring. It doesn't mean all those kids hate school, they're just ready to go home and play/have fun.
 
Old 09-07-2014, 01:03 PM
 
5,413 posts, read 4,814,499 times
Reputation: 9351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why are those things wrong yet a song about hating school is just fine? I mean, a song's a song, right?
You have got to be kidding with this one.

Kids can dislike school (all of it, some of it, either all the time or just some of the time) and still be good kids.
One doesn't tend to be a 'good kid' if they are take part in killing people and animals.

What are you honestly going to do if one of your kids decides they aren't the biggest fan of school? Teach them to murder people for a living since you obviously think they are the same thing.
 
Old 09-07-2014, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,958 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Reputation: 31371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You have got to be kidding with this one.

Kids can dislike school (all of it, some of it, either all the time or just some of the time) and still be good kids.
One doesn't tend to be a 'good kid' if they are take part in killing people and animals.

What are you honestly going to do if one of your kids decides they aren't the biggest fan of school? Teach them to murder people for a living since you obviously think they are the same thing.
That's right. You've outed me; that was my plan "B". Fortunately, my kids liked school, and you obviously didn't get the point. Someone's own biases are fine, but someone else's aren't, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top