Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:07 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,320,068 times

Advertisements

My father taught me anti-school songs when I was a kid. He's a bit subversive in a weird way. It was just a funny song to me. I later went on to become the valedictorian of my graduating class at a fairly elite prep school, with my father cheering me on the entire way.

Relax. Seriously. If anything, your kid is going to rebel against your uptight attitude.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:08 AM

45 posts, read 48,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It would be nice if we knew the actual song the OP is referring to.
I tried, but I can't find it from the internet.
The song title is "want to go home", totally fine. But the lines go to "I am tired of school, reiteration, books and questioning look". I may be able to record the lyrics next time and share it with you all.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My father taught me anti-school songs when I was a kid. He's a bit subversive in a weird way. It was just a funny song to me. I later went on to become the valedictorian of my graduating class at a fairly elite prep school, with my father cheering me on the entire way.

Relax. Seriously. If anything, your kid is going to rebel against your uptight attitude.
I am happy for you. To echo with you, I grew up as a very top student all the way, but I always messed up with so call "bad" students --- they were simply more fun to be with. It was amazing that I came out clean of smoking, alcohol, drug and crime. Looking back, I actually found my exposure to so many bad peers (gambling, video games, escaping school for games...) has been my valuable life component. I went to the top university of my country and am doing very well here.

So, again, I am not worried about negative exposure at all!

All I am saying is that this song should not come from the TEACHER.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2seeker View Post

All I am saying is that this song should not come from the TEACHER.
In that case, I think your best course of action is to ask the teacher WHY s/he chose that song.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:09 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,683,830 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the helpful responses. I am not going to withdraw my son from the program, but I still think my concern is worth discussing. Two things that are related.

1) Negative messages work when they are repeated. Negative messages work better when they are told by main stream media or trusted persons, like teachers in this case. It is one thing a pop song bashes schooling, but it is another thing a teacher teaches a song that bashes schooling. Do we want our kids to distrust or trust the teacher? Either way is bad in this case.

2) no doubt that in the US, we have a culture of laughing at academic excellence.
If you can't over come one very mild thing that you see as negative you have bigger problems than a song. You are so over th hiking this.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:12 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,683,830 times
Quote:
I tried, but I can't find it from the internet.
The song title is "want to go home", totally fine. But the lines go to "I am tired of school, reiteration, books and questioning look". I may be able to record the lyrics next time and share it with you all.
That's all it says??? Honestly we all get tired of such things from time to time...kids are no different and there is not to acknowledge that. Both you and your child are in for a long road if you keep this up.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 AM

3,756 posts, read 4,075,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Hm, I agree with the OP. And I don't think a song about smoking is any different. It's a message to the kids. Either they don't listen like you claim, or they do, and it's not acceptable. My child absolutely loves school. But when people asked if she was "loving no homework" or "Oh you go back to school soon, that stinks!" I had to work twice as hard to encourage her and say things like "See how cool it is that you love school, it gives you a great advantage". I don't want her feeling "different" and causing her to want to fit in, with the wrong scenario. It's portrayed to our kids how school is, from parents, other children learning from their parents, songs, etc.

We should not devalue education by putting a stigma on school, and kids that enjoy it. And I do feel that for the right child, that song in the OP's description could possibly alter the way they see it, I could picture it with my own too. It's only more weird because it was chosen by the school. Bad taste IMO

Nice to see someone on this thread has some sense. I also agree with the OP. The song is inappropriate. Welcome to the sick culture of America.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:18 AM

3,756 posts, read 4,075,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
What do you think of this one that I remember singing in third grade (1966):

Ta-ra-ra-BOOM-de-ay!
We have no school today,
Our teachers passed away,
We shot them yesterday,
We threw them in the bay,
They scared the fish away,
Ta-ra-ra-BOOM-de-ay!
We have no school today!

We had no intention of shooting Mrs. Whayland, but we sang the song anyway.

I wonder if that song would pass muster in any US school today. Probably not in an age when kids are suspended for drawing a picture of a gun, or eating a pop-tart into the shape of a gun, or talking about guns and shooting in any situation without making any threats.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:20 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,721,368 times
I'm with the camp who thinks the song is inappropriate in this situation....that is, being taught to the kids by the teacher.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
If you can't over come one very mild thing that you see as negative you have bigger problems than a song. You are so over th hiking this.
I invited some discussion and I enjoyed it. That does not mean that I can't overcome something. When you use the word "overcome", you already injected your opinion here. It is like a politician insisting on his principles being said as "not able to compromise" . "overcome" means taking it as a reality that cannot be changed. Well, that is the point here. Should I take it or try to change it (e.g. as someone suggested, ask the teacher why she chose this song)? I wanted to ask her, but was humble and wanted to listen to you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.