U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:52 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,360,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
How about the little ditty about the plague that 100% of kids sing?

OP if you don't like the song choice and no one else has complained then you have no right to insist on anything, pull your child. If not know I have a hunch you'll find something else objectionable.
So he isn't allowed to be the first parent to complain? How should this work? He needs to wait for another parent to complain first?

Old 08-26-2014, 06:53 PM

578 posts, read 1,065,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Try this:
I have lost my underwear, I don't care, I'll go bare... bye bye longjohns....
They were very dear to me, tickled me, hee hee hee... bye bye longjohns....
When you see that little trap door behind me,
You will know just where that you can find me,
I have lost my underwear, I don't care, I'll go bare.... longjohns, bye bye!

(sung to the tune of Bye Bye Blackbird)

I lernt that at 4H camp!
There are a lot of songs that are in reality kinda terrible or morbid but we sang as kids in playtime and were taught by teachers and even by parents ... it doesn't mean your child will do anything of the sort.

It's raining; it's pouring.
The old man is snoring.
He went to bed and bumped his head,
And he wouldn't get up in the morning

Old 08-26-2014, 06:59 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,814,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
There are a lot of songs that are in reality kinda terrible or morbid but we sang as kids in playtime and were taught by teachers and even by parents ... it doesn't mean your child will do anything of the sort.

It's raining; it's pouring.
The old man is snoring.
He went to bed and bumped his head,
And he wouldn't get up in the morning
At this rate we need to ban all nursery rhymes....because let's face it...they aren't the nicest songs on the planet.

Poor Humpty Dumpty get murdered, all the kids in 'Ring around the Rosie' fall down dead, the Little old woman in the shoe is starving her kids, and Mary is chopping of the heads of her pretty maids!

Old 08-26-2014, 07:02 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,788,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
So he isn't allowed to be the first parent to complain? How should this work? He needs to wait for another parent to complain first?
Of course a parent can complain. But........just because they complain doesn't mean the complaint was legitimate, nor that the song should immediately be withdrawn. Parents complain about music all the time, some times it's legitimate, some times it's a matter of opinion.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:20 PM

45 posts, read 37,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Just remember ... at your sons age his parents have much more influence on him than peers, etc. You could laugh and joke about the words to the song and just let him think that it is a funny song! You two could even make up some more lyrics to the song or to other songs to help him understand humor and not to take it seriously.
Yes, we can do that. But just because we can do this and have much influence, it does not mean it is appropriate for teachers to teach that kind of song.

What if my kid goes to swimming class and then the teachers say "kids, wouldn't it be nice we stay here rather than in the boring school?" Then you can still comfort me by saying that I have much influence...

Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
How about the little ditty about the plague that 100% of kids sing?

OP if you don't like the song choice and no one else has complained then you have no right to insist on anything, pull your child. If not know I have a hunch you'll find something else objectionable.
if no one else complained, then I will think about it. I am still learning about the world and I don't mind changing minds sometimes. I don't feel embarrassed if I change my mind on this.

I don't quite understand the last part of your sentence (my English problem, sorry), but it sounds not very nice.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
At this rate we need to ban all nursery rhymes....because let's face it...they aren't the nicest songs on the planet.

Poor Humpty Dumpty get murdered, all the kids in 'Ring around the Rosie' fall down dead, the Little old woman in the shoe is starving her kids, and Mary is chopping of the heads of her pretty maids!
Nice try. This kind of distortion of my view point is silly at best.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Of course a parent can complain. But........just because they complain doesn't mean the complaint was legitimate, nor that the song should immediately be withdrawn. Parents complain about music all the time, some times it's legitimate, some times it's a matter of opinion.
Well, at least let me complain first, right? Am I being disrespectful here? I am now not sure who is being too sensitive.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:40 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,814,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2seeker View Post
Nice try. This kind of distortion of my view point is silly at best.
No it's not. You don't want your child to enjoy a silly song because you don't approve of the theme of it....well....that song, and songs like it, are nothing new and many are much worse and I doubt you blinked twice at them....they aren't going to harm your child or his opinion about school. (Is he allowed is own opinion anyway? You don't seem keen on him being able to form his own unless you approve.)

Go ahead and complain all you want....make sure you try to take all the fun out of this choir for not only your child but every other one. Be that parent that others cringe when they see coming.

But realy if this is how you are going to deal with things...than you had best pull out your child from all social activities and school itself and keep him home where he will not be expoused to anything other than your joyless interest in school work and school work alone.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
No it's not. You don't want your child to enjoy a silly song because you don't approve of the theme of it....well....that song, and songs like it, are nothing new and many are much worse and I doubt you blinked twice at them....they aren't going to harm your child or his opinion about school. (Is he allowed is own opinion anyway? You don't seem keen on him being able to form his own unless you approve.)

Go ahead and complain all you want....make sure you try to take all the fun out of this choir for not only your child but every other one. Be that parent that others cringe when they see coming.

But realy if this is how you are going to deal with things...than you had best pull out your child from all social activities and school itself and keep him home where he will not be expoused to anything other than your joyless interest in school work and school work alone.
I actually find you very funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or