Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 01:18 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Or The Wall by Pink Floyd, which used school children to sing the chorus.

Wow OP, I haven't commented until now, because I was waiting for the lyrics. Much ado about nothing is right. Nothing subversive at all to see here.

The way to engage kids is through humor. Find yours, and chuckle at a harmless little song.
Or Jimmy Buffett " Math Sucks" song.....now I love Jimmy.....but that song even gives me pause (though it's funny) even if it is about his and hus kids personal struggles with higher math.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:22 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Or The Wall by Pink Floyd, which used school children to sing the chorus.

Wow OP, I haven't commented until now, because I was waiting for the lyrics. Much ado about nothing is right. Nothing subversive at all to see here.

The way to engage kids is through humor. Find yours, and chuckle at a harmless little song.
Lol. I was waiting too. How so anticlimactic.

As a kid, I used to watch The Simpsons (and read their books)... Bart had more naughtier school songs; it certainly didn't turn me off from school. Some things are meant to be in good fun.

Dear Muddah Dear Faadah song could be labeled as anti summer camp... hmm, I wonder if OP would put up as much fuss.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:09 PM

45 posts, read 48,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Or Jimmy Buffett " Math Sucks" song.....now I love Jimmy.....but that song even gives me pause (though it's funny) even if it is about his and hus kids personal struggles with higher math.
It is not about the song and the exposure. It is about whether songs like this should come from TEACHERS, who I respect and want my kids to respect. What if the teacher teaches a song, intended to be silly, that says "I like to smoke a cigarette in the classroom, see my teacher screaming, other girls looking at me". also funny, right? and do you see the difference if this line is in a pop song or in one taught by a teacher?

Old 08-27-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Lol. I was waiting too. How so anticlimactic.

As a kid, I used to watch The Simpsons (and read their books)... Bart had more naughtier school songs; it certainly didn't turn me off from school. Some things are meant to be in good fun.

Dear Muddah Dear Faadah song could be labeled as anti summer camp... hmm, I wonder if OP would put up as much fuss.
It is not about the song and the exposure. It is about whether songs like this should come from TEACHERS, who I respect and want my kids to respect. What if the teacher teaches a song, intended to be silly, that says "I like to smoke a cigarette in the classroom, see my teacher screaming, other girls looking at me". also funny, right? and do you see the difference if this line is in a pop song or in one taught by a teacher?

Old 08-27-2014, 02:17 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2seeker View Post
This song is no where near that! You are trying to borrow trouble and cause it. Pull your kid out if this bothers you much....because you are going to find most teachers and adults and other kids are going to be not up to your very odd standard because they admit they would like some down time from school and work on occasion and this is obviously a huge life issue for you.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:24 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
The kid is 6. He is not even listening to the words, he's just singing a melody. Jeez.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:24 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Then don't refer to them as teachers. Call them choir directors.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
This song is no where near that! You are trying to borrow trouble and cause it. Pull your kid out if this bothers you much....because you are going to find most teachers and adults and other kids are going to be not up to your very odd standard because they admit they would like some down time from school and work on occasion and this is obviously a huge life issue for you.
calm down. This is not a huge life issue for me. It seems the discussion is a huge life issue for you.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Then don't refer to them as teachers. Call them choir directors.
That is one idea. This is more constructive than trying to fuss about me talking about this. Talking about being over sensitive?

Old 08-27-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The kid is 6. He is not even listening to the words, he's just singing a melody. Jeez.
My kid happens to be quite interested in words. all kinds of possibilities for us to imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting