Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 04:29 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I fail to see the difference. You think this song....coming from a teacher is going to destroy your child's learning environment and make him think it's okay to not care about education. Most everyone thinks that is hogwash and you can't provide any evidence that supports your view...you just ask the same question over and over. The answer is not going to change. If you don't like the song...pull your kid out.
Thank God for people who don't always go with the flow -- its that independent spirit, when someone is willing to stand alone in a crowd, that has created so many positive things about this country.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:37 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I think that part of our problem here is that we, in the USA, do not set our teachers up on a golden throne. Most families would considered a teacher no more important in forming a child's outlook on anything......much less school, than the neighbors. It's the family that is important, not one first grade teacher. A teacher is primary an ordinary person with a specialized education.

The value of learning to sing in a group is far more important than a silly song. The teacher probably had a big grin on her face as she directs the group.

This would also be a good chance to teach your child that what a teacher says is not always true. It isn't, you know!

Old 08-27-2014, 05:03 PM

45 posts, read 48,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I think that part of our problem here is that we, in the USA, do not set our teachers up on a golden throne. Most families would considered a teacher no more important in forming a child's outlook on anything......much less school, than the neighbors. It's the family that is important, not one first grade teacher. A teacher is primary an ordinary person with a specialized education.

The value of learning to sing in a group is far more important than a silly song. The teacher probably had a big grin on her face as she directs the group.

This would also be a good chance to teach your child that what a teacher says is not always true. It isn't, you know!
Another constructive post from someone who disagree with me. I think you pointed out something important here. You confirmed what I have been suspecting -- lower expectation or regard for teachers than in my home country, for both good and bad. I have friends who are teachers. Look at the low salary and the load of work and stress (in dealing with parents, like me, maybe ) and I have great sympathy for them.

I do need to adjust my expectation for the role of teachers and I will take your advice in helping my kid think independently. But I will still ask my kid to respect teachers.

Thanks.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2seeker View Post
My kid happens to be quite interested in words. all kinds of possibilities for us to imagine.
A song that would probably be put on the "unhealthy" list by many American parents since it's anti-religion. I think it's a very healthy song that promotes peace.

See how it works, yet? You want students taught your values. You want students and teachers restricted because you think your values are best. What happens when your values conflict with the values of the parent who has no problems with a teacher who has the kids singing John Lennon? (Who would find someone saying, "Sing this. Not that. I don't like that. Kids have to see teachers and school through one lens." absolutely ludicrous.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-27-2014 at 05:18 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 05:10 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Oh, YES!! Teach them to respect. That doesn't mean to accept everything they say as the Absolute Truth.

Sometimes it just means to keep your mouth shut until you get home.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
My child Jason is 6 years old and just joined the Vandebilt's Children's Chorus program. I was very excited because I hope Jason can develop singing as a healthy habit and have some fun. But on the first rehearsal, I got nervous because of the song "I want to go home", which basically expresses the dislike of school, study and teachers. It has lines like "I am tired of school and questioning look" "I am tired of all this, paper, books...". Jason loves studying and is full of curiosity. If I have time, he can spend the whole day listening to me reading scientific books. I felt awkward that the chorus program picked such a song. I wonder if you were me, would you be concerned too?

I am an immigrant, with a PhD from the US. I feel the pop culture often portrays schools as boring and academically accomplished students as un-cool. But a song like this is taught to a 6-year old by a teacher?

Am I being too sensitive here?
This is a great opportunity to teach him that not everyone appreciates the value of a good education. Explain to him this is the song that someone would sing that will go NO PLACE in life, and how smart, high-achievers hear a song like this and it motivates them to do better and try harder.

You can turn anything into a positive teaching moment if you approach it the right way.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-27-2014, 05:15 PM

45 posts, read 48,286 times
There is a new development today that makes me feel bad. I took the advice from some of you and wrote an email to the chorus program teacher this morning and asked her for the reason they chose that lyrics. I tried my best not to be critical. I said I am not criticizing or intervening, just wanted an explanation and some assurance. I also asked if any other parents raised similar concerns. I posted the entire email below for everyone to comment on.

I have not received personal response yet, but then this afternoon, the teacher sent out an email to all parents and said all parents will NOT be allowed to sit in the classroom observing the singing class. I am not sure if this is because of my email. It looks like it is. I start to feel bad about what I am doing. Who knows if parents sitting out is a tradition or a new thing this year?

The email:
Thank you for the response. If you recall, I expressed my concern of the lyrics of this song to you after the first class. I would like to express here in email, but please understand that I just need a little explanation and assurance rather than trying to criticize or intervene your teaching. I will not be offended if you think I am over sensitive here

My concern is that the lyrics is somewhat encouraging anti-school sentiment that we often observe in pop culture (e.g. school is boring, no fun and not cool to be good at math, etc). It conveys the message that IPOD and TV are for fun and school, books and teachers are no fun. It concerns me because the song is taught by a teacher. I would be less concerned if kids are exposed to it from peers or TV programs. I would also be less concerned if kids are 10 years old, rather than this young.

I discussed this with people on the internet. Most of them said I am too sensitive, but a few agreed with me that songs that stereotype schools are OK for kids to be exposed to, but should not be taught by teachers.

I understand the reason you choose this song from the music perspective, as you have explained well. I couldn't find this song on the internet. Is the lyrics created by the program? Do you hear concerns expressed by other parents on the song lyrics?

I would very much appreciate your response.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
There is a new development today that makes me feel bad. I took the advice from some of you and wrote an email to the chorus program teacher this morning and asked her for the reason they chose that lyrics. I tried my best not to be critical. I said I am not criticizing or intervening, just wanted an explanation and some assurance. I also asked if any other parents raised similar concerns. I posted the entire email below for everyone to comment on.

I have not received personal response yet, but then this afternoon, the teacher sent out an email to all parents and said all parents will NOT be allowed to sit in the classroom observing the singing class. I am not sure if this is because of my email. It looks like it is. I start to feel bad about what I am doing. Who knows if parents sitting out is a tradition or a new thing this year?

The email:
Thank you for the response. If you recall, I expressed my concern of the lyrics of this song to you after the first class. I would like to express here in email, but please understand that I just need a little explanation and assurance rather than trying to criticize or intervene your teaching. I will not be offended if you think I am over sensitive here

My concern is that the lyrics is somewhat encouraging anti-school sentiment that we often observe in pop culture (e.g. school is boring, no fun and not cool to be good at math, etc). It conveys the message that IPOD and TV are for fun and school, books and teachers are no fun. It concerns me because the song is taught by a teacher. I would be less concerned if kids are exposed to it from peers or TV programs. I would also be less concerned if kids are 10 years old, rather than this young.

I discussed this with people on the internet. Most of them said I am too sensitive, but a few agreed with me that songs that stereotype schools are OK for kids to be exposed to, but should not be taught by teachers.

I understand the reason you choose this song from the music perspective, as you have explained well. I couldn't find this song on the internet. Is the lyrics created by the program? Do you hear concerns expressed by other parents on the song lyrics?

Well, I certainly would be interested to see their response to that.

I can see where certain language deficiency and a lack of tact could work against you in this email.

You should have left out the part where you mentioned this forum. In my opinion, that is NOT something you want to tell people and makes you look like a crazy person.

Look, you are free to think what you want. I also question the wisdom and appropriateness of choosing that song and those lyrics for 6-year-olds out of ALL the songs they could have chosen.

I would not be at all surprised if their decision to ban parents from the practice room stems from this email but who knows?. Many types of extracurricular coaches and teachers won't allow parents in practices for this very reason. Many of us advised that you were making a mountain out of a molehill.

You need to evaluate whether the benefits of the Blair program are worth it to you, or if you can calm down, let the choir leaders do their job and equip your son to be a critical thinker along the way.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 08-27-2014 at 05:37 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 05:24 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,071 times
Quote:

I doubt that is the reason why. Perhaps they are having a problem with parents interfering during the music lesson. Or perhaps they have issues with security with having unknown adults present and not wanting to be responsible for having an adult get alone with a child and causing harm. They must know that some of these kids are going to be singing the songs at home so their parents will hear the music anyway.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:33 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Thank God for people who don't always go with the flow -- its that independent spirit, when someone is willing to stand alone in a crowd, that has created so many positive things about this country.
This is not being independent. ..this is creating a problem where there isn't one and making his child and maybe an entire program pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting