Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 01:54 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
My wife and I are in our early 60s and have nieces and nephews between 16-18 years old stay with us on occasion. They travel from the Midwest and enjoy a change of scenery by living with us for a week in the Washington DC area. We put them up in our home, pay for their airline ticket, pay for food and drink and entertain them. They want to come out and stay with us.

On occasion they act like spoiled teenagers and can be moody, uncommunicative, bossy and just plain difficult. Is it our role to attempt to straighten them out and tell them to clean up their act? Or should we just tolerate somewhat typical teenage behavior as long as they are not breaking any laws?

Put yourself in our shoes, what would you do?
I would quit buying airline tickets... They can visit whenever they get a job and can afford to visit.
Do both of you a favor..... Tell em NO!!!

Old 08-25-2014, 01:55 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, for pity's sake!

Spare the pop psychology! These teens are guests in the OP's home, had their way paid from somewhere in the midwest to DC. They could be a little social.

I agree the OP doesn't really need to "entertain" them, though I think he means he and his wife take them to the sights in DC. I agree with Dew that they could take the metro. I have a good friend who lives in the DC area. We often visit them on our vacation. When we were all younger (now they are retired) they'd go to work and we'd take the metro into the city for the day.

The moodiness, now that is teen behavior, and often ignoring it will make it go away.
Why would they want to be socal with someone like the OP.... read his past threads....he lives to be miserable and blame everyone else.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
I would quit buying airline tickets... They can visit whenever they get a job and can afford to visit.
Do both of you a favor..... Tell em NO!!!
Maybe the OP enjoys their company, 90% of the time, and wants to help the kids and their parents.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Mom is that you?
No, I think my kids are older than you!

Old 08-25-2014, 02:02 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Common courtesy is not common any more. It needs to be taught. Teach them respect for others and common courtesy. If that does not work, tell their parents to come and get them.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Common courtesy is not common any more. It needs to be taught. Teach them respect for others and common courtesy. If that does not work, tell their parents to come and get them.
Why are you blaming the teenagers? The OP doesn't approve of anyone and is known to make up stories. If the girls actually exist there is no proof that they aren't perfectly charming girls.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:28 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
My wife and I are in our early 60s and have nieces and nephews between 16-18 years old stay with us on occasion. They travel from the Midwest and enjoy a change of scenery by living with us for a week in the Washington DC area. We put them up in our home, pay for their airline ticket, pay for food and drink and entertain them. They want to come out and stay with us.

On occasion they act like spoiled teenagers and can be moody, uncommunicative, bossy and just plain difficult. Is it our role to attempt to straighten them out and tell them to clean up their act? Or should we just tolerate somewhat typical teenage behavior as long as they are not breaking any laws?

Put yourself in our shoes, what would you do?
I have not read a single reply because I do not have to.

Your house, your rules. /Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 06:43 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
I don't spend all day on this site. Next month it will be 7 years. My critic, ScarletG, has been here since January and has over 1,400 posts. I have no knowledge of the OP. I answered the OP's question with the sound advice and experience of someone who was born before WWII.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:56 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
These kids are of the age when they can be a bit challenging. Since you pay for them to come visit, they need to be respectful. They must have a good time or they wouldn't come.
If I were you and your wife, I would be unfailingly cheery and overlook all but the most heinous infractions. They will soon outgrow their behavior, and when they come out the other side, you will want to have a good relationship.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I don't spend all day on this site. Next month it will be 7 years. My critic, ScarletG, has been here since January and has over 1,400 posts. I have no knowledge of the OP. I answered the OP's question with the sound advice and experience of someone who was born before WWII.
Why don't you just scream "Get off my lawn" ? Do you even know any current teenagers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting