U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:09 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,065,687 times

Advertisements

The teenage years have always been labelled ones of surliness, mood swings, and endless eye rolls. I think it has less to do with the teenagers of "today" and more to do with the general age range. I don't think teenagers have ever really been seen in a positive light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 12:15 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,230,749 times
Moody? Sure, but that's to be expected with that whole puberty thing and growing so much in those years. But most aren't obnoxious or rude. They do spend a lot of time on their phones but the teens I see and know are able to put the phones away in a social situation (although I do see a lot sitting in the bar with their phones instead of talking to each other, but that goes for adults as well as teens)

Old 08-26-2014, 08:24 AM

16,498 posts, read 15,947,527 times
It is refreshing to learn that most people, at least most of the people who posted here, agree that today's teenagers, on a whole, are not moody, obnoxious, rude and constantly glued to their phones.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 AM

6,940 posts, read 7,668,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I think that most teenagers are glued to their phones . that is their primary means of communication. I don't consider that to be rude or obnoxious behavior.
Out of all the descriptions of teens here (most of which don't apply to the majority, IMO), the one regarding phones is the only one I have an issue with.

I am the father of 2, and the grandfather of 6. My oldest grandchild is a bright and polite boy of 16. Last Christmas he was given a smartphone by his parents. Since then, he is always on that thing, usually texting or checking into someone's Facebook page. Normally, I would dismiss this behavior as just a young man enjoying a favorite gift. But then I realized, it is not the physical phone that he's interested in, it's the activity, and should this phone malfunction (fat chance!) ANY phone will do -- as long as he can continue the activity.

I call this an addiction, and it is a problem right now for him, for 2 reasons: 1) he is learning to drive, and always has the phone with him in the car, answering it when it rings, and 2) at mealtimes, even at holiday meals when he is with us and the rest of his family, I notice him not being communicative with his siblings or cousins, just constantly scrolling and reading what's on that phone. His parents worry -- with good reason -- that they can no longer keep track of his associates or activities, and now regret choosing that gift.

I can tell you that the next grandchild in line, a young lady of 14, will not get a smartphone anytime soon.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:49 AM
gg

16,969 posts, read 17,200,007 times
I think it has more to do with the parents. Look at what young people face these days. $100K debt out of college to start out their young lives. No chance of buying a home, some can't even have a car, so they are cycling or walking to work. Pretty bleak outlook for them. What we are doing to kids is going to bite us pretty hard. The economy will tumble pretty rapidly because we are living on a fake economy with the massive debt these kids are going to carry. They just won't be great consumers. Best to be in the food industry over the next 20 years because at least we know people have to eat.

So, your question was if they are moody, etc? Sure, they know what they face compared to the generation before them. The top CEO's greed proves there is no such thing as "trickle down". What a crock! I might be moody too.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:03 AM

367 posts, read 291,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Once again there is a thread about what to do with teenagers who are always rude, obnoxious & moody and who are constantly on their phones instead of being polite to their family, relatives, friends and teachers.
It isn't just teenagers. Most middle-aged adults are constantly glued to their phones as well. It's amazing the amount of people who cannot carry on a face to face conversation anymore. Teens are bad for this, surely. But it's not in any way, just them.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:17 AM

4,279 posts, read 3,294,595 times
I work as a substitute teacher, and, from what I've seen, teens vary across a small spectrum; some are moody and want to taken as "adults," even though they are clearly not ready, and others are mature and adult-like. Still others, although maybe a small percentage, are curious and child-like. It really does vary, although this age group does have one thing in common; most teens like to feel like they are in control and have power. They are happiest when they have adult responsibilities and privileges.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,364,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Out of all the descriptions of teens here (most of which don't apply to the majority, IMO), the one regarding phones is the only one I have an issue with.

I am the father of 2, and the grandfather of 6. My oldest grandchild is a bright and polite boy of 16. Last Christmas he was given a smartphone by his parents. Since then, he is always on that thing, usually texting or checking into someone's Facebook page. Normally, I would dismiss this behavior as just a young man enjoying a favorite gift. But then I realized, it is not the physical phone that he's interested in, it's the activity, and should this phone malfunction (fat chance!) ANY phone will do -- as long as he can continue the activity.

I call this an addiction, and it is a problem right now for him, for 2 reasons: 1) he is learning to drive, and always has the phone with him in the car, answering it when it rings, and 2) at mealtimes, even at holiday meals when he is with us and the rest of his family, I notice him not being communicative with his siblings or cousins, just constantly scrolling and reading what's on that phone. His parents worry -- with good reason -- that they can no longer keep track of his associates or activities, and now regret choosing that gift.

I can tell you that the next grandchild in line, a young lady of 14, will not get a smartphone anytime soon.

I completely understand how frustrating to us adults this behavior seems to be, because it is so foreign to many of us!' I've come to accept the behavior because its here to stay. Using the phone while driving, however, isn't and shouldn't be acceptable -- teenagers just aren't equipped to be able to drive and use their cell at the same time (I would argue that neither are adults). Teenagers don't see the behavior as rude and for the most part I don't think they are intending to come across as rude. It is common behavior for them, and their peers don't see it as rude. I think its difficult to impose our standards on another generation when they happen to have a technology that hadn't even been invented for many of us! I'd guess that our listening to music way too much was something that drove our parents crazy. Now its the phones. Oh well ... we aren't going to change it. Its going to get "worse" if we can't accept whatever new forms of technology are created to keep young minds focused away from us. Families can still schedule family time and get to know each other, and they can make that time electronic free.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:10 AM

15,673 posts, read 8,769,434 times
I find my kids and their friends to be polite and pleasant to be around 99% of the time, which is much, much better than many of the adults I'm in contact with on a daily basis.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,798,650 times
Sometimes my kids use their phones, sometimes they don't. If I ask them to put them down, they always do. My husband uses his phone much more than the kids, but he receives work related calls and emails 24/7.

I don't believe teens are any more moody or obnoxious than they ever were in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or