U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:35 PM

11,378 posts, read 6,428,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've done that in the past, and I'm seriously considering it again. I didn't even have a television before I married my husband. I had no need for one. I watch some shows because it's there, but I could live without it. Life is so much richer without these distractions. I want to get back to that.
I have some relatives that do it for religious reasons (we sort of poke fun at them for being so unplugged), but they are very salt of earth type of people. They read lot books, play musical instruments/sing, build/repair stuff (he's pretty much a self taught carpenter/electrician/plumber/mechanic/roofer, etc - not a hack either like most "handymen"), knit, craft, cook really well, travel, big family life, etc. You could do all of that without unplugging, but you can get really good at it when it's your only form of entertainment/hobbies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 12:42 PM

15,745 posts, read 13,176,204 times
Most kids are fine. Teens are no worse now as a group of people than they have been before.

But, the phone things is something PEOPLE suffer from regardless of age. It is a new element and new manners need to be learned by everyone. Kids (and many adults) need to learn that they don't need to be plugged in all the time. If adults set good boundaries and examples, and enforce them, then kids will learn to and it will quickly become no more of a problem than any other technology people have complained about before and now is a nonissue.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:50 AM

11,614 posts, read 19,716,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Once again there is a thread about what to do with teenagers who are always rude, obnoxious & moody and who are constantly on their phones instead of being polite to their family, relatives, friends and teachers.

Is it really that big a problem?

I am not saying that my children, as teens, were delightful angels every single second of every single day but they certainly were never rude or obnoxious to us (their parents), or to their relatives, or to their teachers. And, I can not even remember one time when one of their friends were rude or insulting to either me or to my husband, even when we were reminding them of our house rules such as no underage drinking and no using illegal drugs.

Several of my friends have teenage or young adult children and they have always been polite and nice to their parents and their parent's friends during dinner parties, get-togethers and celebrations. And, I really doubt that they are actually Dr. Jeckle & Mr. Hyde behind closed doors.

I spent/spend a lot of time with my teenage nieces and nephews and they are also polite, nice and easy to get along with. And we never have a problem with teens/young adults glued to their phones instead of interacting with adults at celebrations, in restaurants and during holiday dinners.

Heck, I am a HS sub teacher and in five years I can count on one hand the number of students who were even slightly disrespectful to me or refused to put their phones away in class.

So, I really do not think that I am delusional and my children, their friends and my relatives are really jerks and I am just in denial about it. But, maybe I am.

What do you think, are most teenagers today moody, obnoxious, rude, glued to their phones, etc.? Or, are most adults exaggerating when they say that?
I am the parent of 2 teens and a 20 year old. I have been around many of their friends over the years. I have not found that the majority of them are moody, obnoxious or rude. For the most part they thank me for being invited to my home, they behave when they are here and are warm and welcoming when I see them at school.

I don't see why using their phones is a problem.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:22 AM

5,413 posts, read 4,818,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I am the parent of 2 teens and a 20 year old. I have been around many of their friends over the years. I have not found that the majority of them are moody, obnoxious or rude. For the most part they thank me for being invited to my home, they behave when they are here and are warm and welcoming when I see them at school.

I don't see why using their phones is a problem.
I agree with you....most teens are just like that. If one doesn't want to see them on their phones...give them alternatives.

One day a couple of summers ago my daughter had some friends over (all around age 15/16)and they were all sort of bored and just surfing on their phones. I was going through closets and found some old sidewalk chalk....I jokingly told them to get outside and draw in the driveway like they did when they were 8. Guess what? They did! LOL! Had a blast....attracted some younger neighbor kids that brought their sidewalks paints and this very varied age group painted a great mural on the driveway.

I went out and served drinks and snack to them all (because sometimes a way to a kid or teens heart is through their stomach) and they had a great afternoon and were laughing their butts off and being very sweet to the younger neighbors. I need to see if I can find the picture I took when they were done.

I think the people that just want to hate on teens don't see the times like this....they are rude to teens so they don't get the good side of them....or they just see the in-between times and think that is all a teen ever does.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:39 AM

8,835 posts, read 8,173,387 times
My most glued-to-their-phones friends are 57 and 67 years old. With one, it caused the literal breakup of our relationship. My young friends (20s and 30s) are infinitely less rude and/or addicted to their digitalia.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:40 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,827,947 times
For generations - and, yes, this goes back to writings of ancient Greeks - parents have been whining that the 'next generation' just isn't as good as they were.

Your parent's generation did the same about your generation.
Their parent's generation did the same about your parent's generation.

Almost invariably, these are examples of people, nostalgic for the way they did things, unhappy with the fact that younger people are simply doing things differently. As people are wont to do, they confuse differences for some sort of decay. Such self-absorption seems to be a natural aspect of the majority of people, everywhere, of all times.

Rest assured, a couple decades from now today's young generation will be holding the generation of their own children in the same contempt.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:11 AM

225 posts, read 215,732 times
Teenage rebellion (moodiness, talking back to their parents, wanting their privacy, etc.) is a normal part of growing up. It is a set of behavioral traits that supersede class, culture, or race. It is part of the process of breaking away from their parents and helps them form their own identity. Some teenagers carry it to the extreme, which is not good. Most of them grow out of that stage as they approach 18 or so.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:14 AM

15,191 posts, read 16,044,725 times
Quote:
Once again there is a thread about what to do with teenagers who are always rude, obnoxious & moody and who are constantly on their phones instead of being polite to their family, relatives, friends and teachers.
I have a teenager and she is occasionally rude, obnoxious and moody with me, but I don't think she's that way with anyone else. Her teachers seem to love her. None of her friends have ever acted that way with me. Sometimes they're very quiet, but I attribute that to shyness more than anything else. They always thank me for food, rides, etc.

The phone IS an issue at our house in that I think our daughter spends too much time on it. We make her put it down during mealtimes and other "together" times, but it is still a dreadful time-sucker. I have taken it away before for as a disciplinary measure, but she's going to be 16 in a month and I think she's getting too old to be "punished" that way. She's going to have go learn sooner or later that too much time on the phone equals not enough time for homework and sleep.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,179,968 times
I have teenagers, and my oldest is always glued to her phone. I agree that for teens it's the primary mode of communication. I think adults are just as bad, most people who have smartphones (regardless of age) seem to be smitten with them.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:57 AM

4 posts, read 3,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
+1. While teens are definitely a mixed bag, I think the majority are delightful to be around.

all of mine are.
Teen daughters at that!
What a blessing/a joy.

My son is a teen child but grown now. 19.
No issue there either,sure they have teen angst/mood swings/ overally dramatic lol sometimes,but great kids
i love them.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or