Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 04:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,331 times

Advertisements

I'd appreciate some advice on this. My girls are 2 and 4 (8 and 25 in June) and currently successfully share a room. The youngest is still in a cot and we need to get her out. I thought I could get bunk beds for the girls but when I was looking I saw that they are not recommended for children under 6! I think my older girl will be fine. However I don't want to be irresponsible. Has anyone had younger children in bunks?

I saw this bed (belvisifurniture.co.uk) in Ikea with a mattress on the floor underneath which looked like a good compromise. Is there a problem with having a child at floor level?At this stage I just haven't a clue what to get. I like having floor space in the girls' room so they can play,
which is why I want bunk beds. Also I foolishly told my children that I would buy them bunks and they are looking forward to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 12:10 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times
Are you describing a trundle bed? If so, my sister had one when we were kids, and there were no problems with sleeping at floor level.

I got bunk beds for my girls when they were 3.5 & 6. The older one went on the top bunk, and the younger on the bottom. There was/is a railing along the edge of the top bunk, to prevent someone from accidentally rolling off while sleeping. That seems to be pretty common in the bunk beds I see for kids, and I wouldn't let any kid sleep up there without them. With the guard rails in place, I think the bigger risk for younger kids is climbing up and down ladders, especially if they do so in the middle of the night for a bathroom break, while they are still half asleep and it's dark.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:29 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
There was a recent discussion on them here:
Bunk beds

The general consensus seemed to be that the kids tired of them in a couple of years, and they are a pain to make up.
I think a trundle would work well for your needs.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:18 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times
Yes, reference the recent thread above.

ALL of my parent friends who have them seem to dislike them because they are a pain in the azz when it comes to changing the linens.

One of them has mentioned that the older child (on top) has had issues coming up and down (slipping/falling in the dark) to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Trundles make a lot more sense to me investment-wise, safety-wise, and appearance-wise.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:17 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
They are a SERIOUS PITA to change linens and make beds. We bought a bunk bed for my now 6 year old when we moved 2 years ago (per her request) and I really regret it.

If we ever relocate, it will not be making the trip with us. We will get her a trundle bed.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:38 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Your kids are too young. Someone will fall out and get hurt. So much fun for the kids when theyre a bit older.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:34 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
They are a SERIOUS PITA to change linens and make beds. We bought a bunk bed for my now 6 year old when we moved 2 years ago (per her request) and I really regret it.

If we ever relocate, it will not be making the trip with us. We will get her a trundle bed.
THIS! I have an only and she thought it would be fun to have bunk beds for sleepovers. We didn't deal with any danger from a child falling out, was very careful about getting a safe bed. But my child slept on the top bunk for a couple of years, and it was a pain changing those sheets. Dreaded it every week.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:10 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
THIS! I have an only and she thought it would be fun to have bunk beds for sleepovers. We didn't deal with any danger from a child falling out, was very careful about getting a safe bed. But my child slept on the top bunk for a couple of years, and it was a pain changing those sheets. Dreaded it every week.

Every week?!?!. No. Just No way

Old 09-11-2014, 09:13 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
We've tried bunk beds and a trundle. The bunk bed seem to be better for two kids sharing a room then a trundle. The trundle seems like it would be better if you needed an occasional bed for sleepovers and such. The bunk bed we have is similar to the IKEA model where the lower bunk is on the floor. It's nice having it so low. This type of bunk bed also makes the upper bunk lower then a normal bunk bed. I think a bunk bed is fine for kids that are your kids' ages. The upper bunk will have a rail so falling out is not easy to do. As long as your oldest can climb up and down safely and easily then it should work out fine.

It is true that it is a pain to change the linens on a bunk bed but if your kids have to share a room, bunk beds are a great space saving option.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:56 PM

105 posts, read 110,981 times
They have their own rooms, so no. But I would choose one with a staircaise instead of a ladder. As long as she's not a violent sleeper, you shouldn't worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting