U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:59 AM

11,852 posts, read 7,787,500 times

Advertisements

Actually a lot of kids as young as 10 yrs old are watching adult flicks like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, True Blood, etc. These are primarily adult rated TV shows that starts at PG-13 for some and most of them are Rated R to NC-17 in some episodes.

They can catch it because it's accessible to them on the internet easily, while their parents are watching it on TV, the kids are watching it on their mobile devices.

While I watch many of these shows I was surprised to hear that many teenagers also watch the shows that features tons of blood, gore, and sex.

Are you parents aware of what your kids are watching?

Old 08-26-2014, 11:08 AM

15,812 posts, read 13,261,648 times
We really need to differentiate. Ten is not a teen. Not even that close.

Second, the age and maturity of the particular teen come into play to such a large degree as to make it meaningless to generalize. My daughter started watching more mature things as a teen, it can lead to many great and meaningful discussion about violence and sex and issues in society. Game of Thrones this past season (granted at 20 she isn't a teen anymore) had a crazy scene where Cersei is raped by Jamie or some see it as consensual sex, and we talked about it for days. What it means to have consensual sex, what situations can lead to seeing those situations differently, etc. Ok there were a bunch where we talked about how creepy Joffrey was, and how incest is gross, but there was some deep discussion in there too. I would have let her watch that show at 15.

As for being concerned about your kids watching stuff on mobile device, put passwords on your devices and the appropriate software.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:14 AM

5,413 posts, read 4,851,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Actually a lot of kids as young as 10 yrs old are watching adult flicks like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, True Blood, etc. These are primarily adult rated TV shows that starts at PG-13 for some and most of them are Rated R to NC-17 in some episodes.

They can catch it because it's accessible to them on the internet easily, while their parents are watching it on TV, the kids are watching it on their mobile devices.

While I watch many of these shows I was surprised to hear that many teenagers also watch the shows that features tons of blood, gore, and sex.

Are you parents aware of what your kids are watching?
What age? A ten year old is not a teen while a 18 year old certainly can handle such things. A lot depends on the individual child/teen. I know adults age wise that can't handle most movies.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:25 AM

11,852 posts, read 7,787,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
What age? A ten year old is not a teen while a 18 year old certainly can handle such things. A lot depends on the individual child/teen. I know adults age wise that can't handle most movies.
I merely pointed out that there are kids as young as 10 watching this stuff while many teens from 13+ are watching this stuff.

This could be a reason why many teenagers today are desensitized of violent and sex depictions. They crave for more intensive depictions.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:30 AM

12,976 posts, read 11,840,981 times
Kids have had access to inappropriate material since the invention of video tapes and cable television. This is nothing new. It's up to parents to parent their children as they see fit. Some are aware of what their kids watch, some aren't. Again, nothing new.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:36 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,917,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post

Exactly.

OP, your title " Teens are watching adult flicks" made me think "Big deal".

You DO know that 17, 18 and 19 year old are teens too, right? And can deal with these 'flicks' much better than a 13 year old could.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:37 AM

1,593 posts, read 1,746,573 times
My wife saw Taxi Driver in the theater when she was 8, her father was a little light on the responsibility side of things.

She would in fact accompany him to loads of other edgy/art films when she was under the age of 12 and to hear her tell it it didn't really phase her.

To be honest when I see my nephews glued to a screen for "HOURS" playing some hyper intense violent game I have to wonder if their brain chemistry isn't changing...I see this as much more concerning than the occasional adult themed movie.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:09 PM

133 posts, read 123,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Kids have had access to inappropriate material since the invention of video tapes and cable television. This is nothing new. It's up to parents to parent their children as they see fit. Some are aware of what their kids watch, some aren't. Again, nothing new.

This. My son is six and he watches Game of Thrones, Walking Dead etc. He showed little interest in Breaking Bad but he has seen a few episodes. He loves horror movies and currently that's what he likes best.

I'm aware of what he watches and what he is exposed to and I encourage him to talk about how he feels about it. There's never been any issues.

Growing up I was exposed to "adult flicks" and my parents never shielded me from anything. I actually remember my father and I seeing Irreversible together in theaters when I was a teen and then afterwards having a deep conversation about it over pancakes and bacon at a local diner.

My son will eventually be exposed to all sorts of things. I'd much rather we have it out in the open.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:15 PM

39,449 posts, read 38,067,918 times
Quote:

This could be a reason why many teenagers today are desensitized of violent and sex depictions. They crave for more intensive depictions.

I am curious ... How many teenagers do you personally interact with daily?

My teens are 18, so they watch what they want. My 10-year-old is on a big iCarly rerun jag right now, well, that and The Middle. I would not allow him to watch the shows you mention.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:37 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,851,029 times
Quote:
I merely pointed out that there are kids as young as 10 watching this stuff while many teens from 13+ are watching this stuff.

What? I have found teens.....just like adults.. have all sorts of comfort levels with media (movies, movies, gaming).... they no more crave certain types of anything more than anyone else. Why are you trying to make it sound like teenagers are that's horrid violent creatures because some watch some movies.

Parents and teens should watch what they are comfortable with and talk about it...especially mature themes.....but media doesn't turn kids bad as you seem to be implying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting