Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:09 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times

Advertisements

Starting them young and meeting new people is how to meet a "group" to do things with when they are a little older. Empty blocks void of children playing is forcing parents to take drastic measures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 06:52 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
overstimulation = pressure = mistake

Old 08-30-2014, 07:32 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
We did things like that as soon as possible - I didn't have any other children, and I worried that he wasn't getting enough stimulation or socialization at home. What did I know? I realize now that the idea of socialization at age 1 (or less) is silly, but I didn't know that then. Also, when they are little you just naturally want to give them all these new experiences all the time, because that's part of the enjoyment of parenting. Everything is new for them. I certainly didn't do it for me, and it really bugs me that someone would imply I was selfish for taking my kid to a lot of activities, which cost me a lot of money and was not any kind of break, since at that age you usually have to participate to some degree.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
overstimulation = pressure = mistake
There's always someone ready to tell the other parents they're making a mistake!

Old 08-30-2014, 10:38 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There's always someone ready to tell the other parents they're making a mistake!
Just my opinion but then, the suicide rate is up among youngsters, too, isn't it?

Old 08-30-2014, 12:09 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Quote:
Just my opinion but then, the suicide rate is up among youngsters, too, isn't it?
Did you just blame the rise in teen suicide on Gymboree classes? I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry...

There's a big difference between high pressure sports and rolling around in a ball pit.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:49 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
You really think putting kids into actiivities causes suicide?

Last edited by ScarletG; 08-30-2014 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: misspelled

Old 08-30-2014, 12:59 PM

685 posts, read 1,104,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
I don't understand. I am a stay at home mother (3 kids - ages 7, 5, 2.5). Would you like for me to just stay at home all day long and not get out except to run errands or always go the parks and play areas alone?

With my oldest, I joined my 1st MPG (Mom's Play Group) when oldest DS was 1 years old. I just moved to a new town and knew no one. It was the best thing I could have done. I met wonderful women who became very good friends of mine. As a matter of fact, since 2007, I have moved 5 times to new cities and each time I joined a MPG. As a SAHM, there just aren't much opportunities to meet people. The MPG was a great way to get to know the area and meet people.

Also, I put all of my children in Mother's Morning Out program twice a week for 3 hours each day. Oldest child started at 3, 2nd started at 2 and now the youngest will start at 2 (next week). I did/do not do this for social reasons. I did/do this for myself.

As for all the other things like dance, art, etc., I have no idea why other parents do it but I enrolled my 2 year old in a once a week 30 minute gymnastics class for $30 for 8 weeks. It was dirt cheap and I thought my very energetic daughter would have fun.
Um, I'm a stay at home mom too. We are out 3-4 days a week at NONE of these places. We do story times, B&N, there's concerts in the park, just going to the park the zoo and errands of course. There's other adults there to talk to just like there at Gymboree. But I also have no problem going to places alone, neither does DD. She has a ball playing by herself, or with other kids. Guess she takes after me. I don't know, I can't fathom paying $500-$600 for 3-4 months at any of these type of gym places. But that's me. And the 2 times I went to these places, I didn't see any adults interacting, just tailgating their kid as they played. But I'm sure that's not the case at every class I guess..

Old 08-30-2014, 01:01 PM

685 posts, read 1,104,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You really think putting kids into actiivities causes suciede?
lol

Old 08-30-2014, 01:19 PM

579 posts, read 1,209,760 times
I have two teenagers, well one is actually an adult now. When the oldest was a baby I did Gymboree once a week and Mommy and Me once a week, not for her per say, but for us. As a stay at home mom with no other kids I wanted other moms to talk to and babies for her to play with. It WAS for socialization in my case. Me with adults, and her with children. She was the first born on both sides of the family, and most of my friends had no kids. I wanted to stimulate her and make sure she could share and "play well with others". By the time my next was born, 3 1/2 years later, my eldest was in twice a week pre-school (half-days) through the parks and rec (youngest did the same). We upped it to 3 half-days a week 4 year-old preschool and 5 half-days for kindergarten. They also did a variety of non-competitive sports, art classes, music classes under age 5. In elementary was swim lessons, then swim team and the kids have participated in cheer, football, cross-country, track, band etc.......all throughout high school. None of this was done for me to have alone time, as I never got it. I attended every meet, practice, game, play group, concert etc. I don't regret one minute of it. They are getting older and moving on, and now they don't need me at every event. I miss it....and God help me I've moved on to the dog! Our 6 month old Golden does have her own play group. It's just so nice to socialize with like-minded people who have your same interests and to insure that even our pup now, "plays well with others".

As long as the toddlers and preschoolers aren't OVER invested in activities, and they are limited to one or two things, I think it helps to prepare them for organized sports and the socialization required for school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting