U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 02:36 PM

4,294 posts, read 2,896,087 times

Advertisements

Is there any best age send kids alone to school?
As I live here in Holland most kids go alone to school when they are little. My daughter is 8+ but some mothers from other kids who send kids alone to school bugging me to send my child to school alone and they see me walking my child to school as waste of time and kid wont be independent. But my mind is saying DON'T do it yet.

Honestly I prefer walk my daughter to school and also to the class then I go to my work with peace in mind. And I never see walking my child to school as a waste of time,I am sure here might some parents who has elder kids than mine.

what was age you send your kid alone to school in case if you ever did? I am afraid of doing something when my mind is doubting. I appreciate some advice or your experience.
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 02:43 PM

15,330 posts, read 16,920,255 times
Well, back when I went to school (1950s), I walked to school alone at 5 and 6 - very close to my house. At 7 when I transferred to public school which was about 1.4 miles away, I walked to school after the first few days (once I knew the route).

My own kids walked to school alone or with friends at around 6 or 7 (first or second grade). The school was only a few blocks from our house, but there was one larger street to cross (it had a crossing guard) This was in the mid-1970s.

My grandchildren have never been able to walk to school. They either ride the school bus or are driven by a parent or grandparent. No sidewalks and the streets are very busy. There are some children at a different school near us who walk or ride bikes. I am not sure how old they are. Some parents walk with or bike with those kids depending on the route they have to take.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:07 PM

12,941 posts, read 19,880,277 times
There are too many variables to give an answer OP. I walked to kindergarten and home again at the age of 5. It was about 6 blocks away.

When my own three were in kindergarten, I either walked or drove them about the same 6 blocks. When they reached the end of first grade, we let them ride their bikes to school the last week of the year, along with the other neighborhood kids. It was also about 6 blocks, and we saw them across the one road they had to take.

I enjoyed the walks with them, but at the end of the school day, they were less enthused about the walk than I was. The last three places we've lived have not had sidewalks, so everybody takes a school bus.

It depends on the comfort level of both you and your child, as well as things such as sidewalks, crossing guards, and area safety.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:11 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,250,521 times
There is no best age, its whenever they are ready to walk alone and when you are comfortable to let them walk. Is your child happy with you walking her to school? Some kids are fine with it but others find it terribly embarrassing if their friends are walking by themselves.

The school round the corner from me has the 7 and 8 year olds, I see most of them walk or bike by themselves, some with a parent, and a handful were going by car. I intend to let my daughter walk by herself from the beginning if she's comfortable with it.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Well, back when I went to school (1950s), I walked to school alone at 5 and 6 - very close to my house. At 7 when I transferred to public school which was about 1.4 miles away, I walked to school after the first few days (once I knew the route).

My own kids walked to school alone or with friends at around 6 or 7 (first or second grade). The school was only a few blocks from our house, but there was one larger street to cross (it had a crossing guard) This was in the mid-1970s.

My grandchildren have never been able to walk to school. They either ride the school bus or are driven by a parent or grandparent. No sidewalks and the streets are very busy. There are some children at a different school near us who walk or ride bikes. I am not sure how old they are. Some parents walk with or bike with those kids depending on the route they have to take.
Thank you for your post, here is slightly busy and there is a dangerous junction to cross to with no guards that really freak me out.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
There are too many variables to give an answer OP. I walked to kindergarten and home again at the age of 5. It was about 6 blocks away.

When my own three were in kindergarten, I either walked or drove them about the same 6 blocks. When they reached the end of first grade, we let them ride their bikes to school the last week of the year, along with the other neighborhood kids. It was also about 6 blocks, and we saw them across the one road they had to take.

I enjoyed the walks with them, but at the end of the school day, they were less enthused about the walk than I was. The last three places we've lived have not had sidewalks, so everybody takes a school bus.

It depends on the comfort level of both you and your child, as well as things such as sidewalks, crossing guards, and area safety.
We don't have school bus system here, I wish that we had it here too...

Old 08-31-2014, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
There is no best age, its whenever they are ready to walk alone and when you are comfortable to let them walk. Is your child happy with you walking her to school? Some kids are fine with it but others find it terribly embarrassing if their friends are walking by themselves.

The school round the corner from me has the 7 and 8 year olds, I see most of them walk or bike by themselves, some with a parent, and a handful were going by car. I intend to let my daughter walk by herself from the beginning if she's comfortable with it.
My daughter has no problem that I walk with her, she did not mention any thing that she does not like me walking with her, but this my walk become more problem for the others who send their kids all alone, there is a dangerous crossing with no guard either no pedestrian lights, vehicles stop but still as an adult I find the place risky.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:25 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,260,654 times
Don't let yourself be pressured by the other parents. You do what you feel is right. I'd say the same thing if the situation was reversed, and they were all pressuring you to walk with your daughter. This is your child and your decision, nobody else's.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:28 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,250,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurch View Post
My daughter has no problem that I walk with her, she did not mention any thing that she does not like me walking with her, but this my walk become more problem for the others who send their kids all alone, there is a dangerous crossing with no guard either no pedestrian lights, vehicles stop but still as an adult I find the place risky.
If she has no problem with you walking her then keep walking. Is it a busy road? In any case, if the kids have been taught road safety then they will be just as safe as any one else crossing the road so try not to worry about it.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:14 AM

546 posts, read 1,424,555 times
I have been pondering the same issue. My boys are 8 & 10 -- 3rd and 5th grade. We live less than a mile from our school and it is all quiet neighborhood roads except for one street where the principal is the cross guard every morning. That street is not a major street but does have a fair amount of volume as it is a neighborhood service road. I think they would be fine and they are asking me to walk on their own but I am just not feeling ready yet! Mostly because my 3rd grader is not nearly as responsible as the 10 year old but then I hate to hold back my 10 year old. It's hard to decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or