U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:37 PM

652 posts, read 2,411,310 times

Advertisements

a minimum of 5 nights a week. I have a 12 and 6 yr old in sports and other activities But I always put dinner as a priority. This is very important time together as a family. I have even found lately that is the only time my 12 yo daughter will tell us about her day. I hear a lot of people talk about how it gets harder as the kids become teenagers and they give up. I dont think I will ever do that. I remember a long time ago I was talking to a family judge. He told me that he had only seen a child in his courtroom once that grew up in church and having family dinners together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 AM

12,408 posts, read 13,084,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
My daughter will not eat unless somebody else is eating as well. So, for every meal, everyone eats - including guests. Seriously, she'll point her utensil at the non-eater and yell, "EAAAAAATT!!"

I can't wait to see what's going to happen when she gets older...
OMG this is hilarious ROFL. I had a son who wouldn't eat unless every cupboard in the kitchen was CLOSED. How old is she? LOL

Old 01-16-2008, 03:37 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,145,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
OMG this is hilarious ROFL. I had a son who wouldn't eat unless every cupboard in the kitchen was CLOSED. How old is she? LOL
18 months!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:29 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,589,170 times
We eat dinner together every night, unless there is a game or something like that. It's essential, I believe.We all look forward to it. In fact, on weekends we usually eat breakfast together, too!

Old 01-19-2008, 02:54 PM

116 posts, read 403,244 times
We eat together about 3 days a week right now. I wish we could every evening, but with our schedules it can be hard. I also believe having dinner together is very important.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:03 AM

3,893 posts, read 9,361,850 times
I used to make breakfast every morning too. I should make an effort to do that again. It was so nice. Last week I made fresh blueberry pancakes, and everyone loved it. I don't know why I stopped.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:19 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,258,823 times
Every night unless there is an activity going on or I'm away on business.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:41 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
Our twins won't be born until next Spring, but we intend on having family meals with no TV (once they're old enough for high chairs anyway). But here's something I've noticed with other people and their young kids. The kids eat a little, get up and run around, take food away from the table, then maybe come back to finish later. I think these are the kids you see screaming under the table at restaurants!

We have no intentions of allowing this sort of behavior. You sit at the table, eat until you're done, then ask to be excused. We also won't allow food to be eaten away from the table or kitchen island. My thought is that I don't want to find food all over the house (our dog has a sensitive stomach and we can't have her eating scraps) which could attract bugs, get furniture dirty, etc.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:51 AM

859 posts, read 1,858,720 times
We eat together ( kids and me) in front of the TV, and they talk more there then at the table. I explained this before, dont know why, but put them on the table and they all *have stagefright* lol...
It works for us.
Hubby gets home late, so nothing we can do there.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:45 PM

875 posts, read 759,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Our twins won't be born until next Spring, but we intend on having family meals with no TV (once they're old enough for high chairs anyway). But here's something I've noticed with other people and their young kids. The kids eat a little, get up and run around, take food away from the table, then maybe come back to finish later. I think these are the kids you see screaming under the table at restaurants!

We have no intentions of allowing this sort of behavior. You sit at the table, eat until you're done, then ask to be excused. We also won't allow food to be eaten away from the table or kitchen island. My thought is that I don't want to find food all over the house (our dog has a sensitive stomach and we can't have her eating scraps) which could attract bugs, get furniture dirty, etc.
Congratulations on the impending birth of your twins! I agree with you whole heartedly. It seems like all too many parents don't instill table manners in their children anymore.

To many parents make eating dinner difficult. Quit giving them snacks whenever they whine a little bit and they'll eat when it's dinner time. If they don't want to eat what you're serving, they don't need to eat. I know that sounds harsh but after doing that a few times, trust me......they'll eat. It just seems like more and more mothers are encouraging picky eaters now.

I disdain parking them in front of a TV to eat also. What's that about anyway? Always the boob tube in the background. Are people afraid to be intimate with their families?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting