U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 12:03 PM

144 posts, read 152,953 times

Advertisements

We do our daughter's birthday party the week before Christmas. Her birthday is 12/22 and we just have my parents over for dinner on her real birthday. We have done this 2 times now and will be doing it a 3rd time this year for her 3rd birthday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 01:24 PM

430 posts, read 303,822 times
Oldest was born 11/24 2nd child was born 1/15 so right before AND right after....fortunately seems far enough between the bdays and christmas they don't mind...I do because that time of the year is hectic and always low on money LOL

Old 09-07-2014, 07:24 PM

23,903 posts, read 31,123,865 times
My son was born on Christmas eve. I loved bringing him home on Christmas Day, and I would not have had it any other way. Nor would he. He loves it. Since everyone takes such pains to not forget his Christmas Eve birthday, and his cousins celebrate Hanukkah, to him it has always been like a 2 week celebration.

As far as parties, I never worried much about them. I think I had maybe 5 birthday parties - those that included children other than family - for him, ever, and they were always a week or two before, and we never had an issue. He never cared if there was no big party - I always made a cake, he always had birthday presents, and our family always had a Christmas Eve celebration for him. That was always enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCamps View Post
It's been difficult to schedule bday parties and sort gifts for bday and xmas. Usually all the bday gifts get shoved aside in favor of the xmas gifts.
I don't even understand why you would have those problems. We never did.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:35 PM

17 posts, read 12,641 times
We celebrated the 1/2 Birthdays instead....."Half-Birthday" parties by the pool in June!

Old 10-03-2014, 08:39 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,065,453 times
some good ideas. i LOVE the half birthday idea!

my 3rd is due on christmass eve so i may be using it, though my wife was a month early with each of my other 2 so i pushed it up to thanksgiving. docs still say xmass eve though..

Old 10-03-2014, 09:43 PM

349 posts, read 365,245 times
Neighbor kid had half birthday parties every June. He did it every year and it became a thing.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:56 AM

706 posts, read 1,476,503 times
I was born on New Years Day, and as others have said separating the 2 is important. My parents attempted a slumber party on my actual birthday and one person came; never did that again.

Mostly kids/adults with birthdays close to the holiday don't like having a birthday like that if their family did not make an effort to recognize both days and it just got lumped in with the holiday.

As an adult we usually celebrate my bday on NY eve.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:54 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,627,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCamps View Post
My DD was born on 24 Dec 2003. It's been difficult to schedule bday parties and sort gifts for bday and xmas. Usually all the bday gifts get shoved aside in favor of the xmas gifts. Any ideas from parents similarly birthed DCs would be helpful!

Change religions.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:01 AM

19 posts, read 33,627 times
Well, the gift issues was sorted this year. So that DD's bday gifts do not get short shrift and tossed to the side in favor of her next-day xmas haul, this year we gave DD a single "big ticket" item for bday (laptop) on the 24th and the next day many smallish gifts for xmas (deco tape, Japanese erasers, sketch book, nail varnish pens, stuffed animal, coin purse, etc). DD had loads of fun unwrapping the xmas gifts - but now will also look forward to opening a "big gift" on her bday. Sorted!

Still haven't sorted the party issue ... DD had one bday party (when she made 4). She's a tween now, so overdue for another party, I suppose. I'm leaning towards an end of January party date ... Hoping for a good turnout.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:55 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,489,790 times
I have 2 kids with bad times for bdays (one being close to xmas). I offer a weekend trip or a party. I schedule the party for when it will actually work out for friends to come. Then have a family party on the day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or