Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:49 PM

44 posts, read 58,115 times

Advertisements

Hi ..

This will the first time we spend the winter ( as winter ... cold and snow ) .. so, my oldest daughter in 4th grade and her teacher told us that when it is snowing they wear winter pants and they take it off when they are inside the school ..

so my question is what is ( winter pants ) and do they where anything underneath ??

what also, other clothes they wear at school in Winter ( 10F to -10F or below ) ...

thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 07:52 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Girls' Waterproof Squall® Snow Pants from Lands' End

Snow pants slip on over her normal clothing (Jeans).

Old 09-01-2014, 07:58 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king of mirage View Post
Hi ..

This will the first time we spend the winter ( as winter ... cold and snow ) .. so, my oldest daughter in 4th grade and her teacher told us that when it is snowing they wear winter pants and they take it off when they are inside the school ..

so my question is what is ( winter pants ) and do they where anything underneath ??

what also, other clothes they wear at school in Winter ( 10F to -10F or below ) ...

thanks a lot
Get her a two piece snow suit....and yes, you were your normal clothes under them. The lands end link is very good....we always preferred the overall type of pants.

You are going to need warm hats, gloves/mittens and possibly a scarf (mine always hated it and ended up just losing it) Also, very warm snow boots....do not skimp on these (don't be outrageous, but don't get the cheapest pair either)....and heavy socks.

These are going to be very easy to find in any area that gets cold weather.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
The above posts cover outerwear well. Indoors, people wear long sleeved shirts, sweaters, sweatshirts, pants, sweatpants, fleece, knee high socks, etc.. You probably knew this but I thought I'd error on the side of caution because I've seen people relocate to our area from warm regions wearing flip flop sandals, t-shirts and tank tops and complaining they are cold. You're warmer in layers of clothing too because layers help trap body heat.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:26 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Long underwear (long johns and a vest under her shirt) as well might be a good idea at those temperatures. Kids have a tendency to get annoyed by scarves, here they have velcro neck warmers that can't get tangled or come off easy like a scarf, maybe look for something like that.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
When I was a kid, and girls had to wear dresses to school, any pair of pants could be used as "snow pants" that you took off once you got to school.

These days, in very cold climates, one can wear articles such as people have described above. It depends on what activity they're dressing for, too. For going to school, not so much is needed as they'll be in the building all day. I don't think long underwear is necessary for going to school if they're covered with a jacket and pants. Some schools do have rules about needing boots to go outside at recess if there's snow on the ground. Kids tend to lose all sorts of things too, including sometimes jackets and other large items, so buy some things at an inexpensive store, e.g. mittens and hats at Target.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:50 AM

44 posts, read 58,115 times
Thanks a lot guys ... so useful ...

Old 09-02-2014, 12:13 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Also, King, if these items aren't available in stores, yet, they will come in soon. In Iowa, we generally don't get the heavy coats in until mid October or so. You should get them sooner than that, but just keep looking.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:12 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
We live in far northwestern MN....for our schools....the kids in the cold season need to have winter pants, boots, coat, gloves and hat to go outside for recess. Often it can be too cold to go outside though as kids dont go out if daytime temperature is below zero (F) or wind chills below -20F. We buy Old Navy, Childrens Place, Target, local sporting good store.

For going to school, our 3rd grader last year and most other kids put on the snow pants, gloves, hat, boots for the ride to school as you do have to walk from car to school building and in our area that short distance can be quite cold. But once inside they take off the snow pants and put them in the locker along with coat, gloves. Some wear their hat all day (common among the hockey players) and wear boots all day....though there is a need to have a pair of sneakers at school at all times for gym.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:34 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Our experience in the frigid north was that the kids wore snow boots even when it didn't snow. They lined them up in the hallway outside their room during the school day. Your scarf and gloves get tucked into the sleeves of your coat while it is hanging up.

And the elementary school was ridiculously overheated. So a super warm coat/snow pants over a t-shirt and leggings were fine for girls. My kids refused to wear turtlenecks or sweaters, EVER.

You'll be amazed at how kids adapt to the cold. My kids thought nothing of the hassle of cold/snow.

Make sure you set up your entryway at home to accommodate the extra gear. I hot glued clothes pins to the underside of my stair railing so I could hang up wet stuff to dry (and it could drip onto the slate floor). Keep it organized or you will grow to despise the mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting