U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:21 PM

758 posts, read 1,595,624 times

Advertisements

My boys wrestle all the time. Mine is the opposite problem my son is bigger than his friend and I always have to watch that he is not too rough on the little guy. As long as you step in when it looks like one of them is actually getting hurt they should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 06:39 AM

13 posts, read 26,558 times
I have 2 boys, and I let them wrestle up to a point. You can kind of sense when someone is about to get hurt, or fun has turned to anger. That is when I step in and say, enough rough housing, find another game to play.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:00 AM

11,614 posts, read 19,724,832 times
I don't let the kids play rough in the house. There are to many ways for them to get hurt, even if it's not malicious. If they want to play rough they need to go outside where there is more space.

I do suggest that parents of boys who enjoy rough play enroll them in a physical sport (football, wrestling, lacrosse, hockey, etc.) so that they have an acceptable outlet for their physical play. I have 3 sons and my oldest and youngest are very physical by nature. They both play football, wrestle and play lacrosse. That cuts down on lots of physical stuff in the house.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:08 PM

324 posts, read 764,958 times
You have to stop the fights ESPECIALLY IF YOUR SON IS ON THE LOSING SIDE. Or would you rather wait till boy next door dunks out an eyeball and a thumb?

By the way, your English is not as bad as you think, I totally understood everything!

Old 05-10-2009, 01:26 PM

21,141 posts, read 22,123,052 times
Boys play wrestle all the time. If you notice your son is always on the bottom and being forced to "give" I would certainly so something to teach him some moves and confidence to even up the score. I also agree with keeping an eye open and noticing if/when it looks like enough is enough.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:45 PM

5,945 posts, read 12,726,291 times
Hi Reute,

I have two boys, too. I don't allow my boys and their friends to play fight, so I offer them alternatives, here are some ideas:

- nerf gun battles
- water balloon fights
- water gun fights
- water hose fights
- playing the wii (They like to do the wii boxing game... they are still "fighting" each other, but only on the game so no one can actually get hurt. Also - they wear themselves out and get exercise. )

The wii is actually great for boys for working out lots of pent-up energy. My boys and their friends like to do the sports games - baseball, tennis, boxing, golf, etc.

I feel like boys play fight when they are bored and can't think of anything better to do. Keep them busy and focused on something and hopefully the playfighting will at least not happen as much.

Put your foot down in your house. If it makes you uncomfortable, don't allow it. If they don't like it, too bad - you're the mom! Better safe than sorry, I've always thought.

Good luck!

Old 05-10-2009, 03:17 PM

1,238 posts, read 2,181,278 times
When I make my child fight the neighborhood children I don't usually stop it unless he is winning. Usually I video tape them and put them on Youtube.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:54 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,655,990 times
outside.
On the grass.

We do not allow rough play inside.

Outside OK so long as it is not mean. So if it is a play fight then thats OK but not if its being used to bully. A bit of boys will be boys and a bit of rough and tumble does not necessarilly mean that it is nasty.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:17 AM

6,968 posts, read 12,385,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
If one child if pummelling another and you as an adult do nothing to stop the fight, that is called child abuse in the United States.
There you go, zon! Let's blow it all out of proportion! There wasn't any pummeling. It was PLAY FIGHTING!!! You can just check in on them every now and then. If they aren't crying or one doesn't get hit hard enough to bruise, then don't worry about it.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:48 AM

4,507 posts, read 7,828,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
If one child if pummelling another and you as an adult do nothing to stop the fight, that is called child abuse in the United States.
Quick, call the wedgie patrol, call the noogie patrol....boys across the country are getting way out of hand!!

OP, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as both are having fun and the play fighting is more play than fighting. Yes, set some limits and rules on the rough play, especially in the house. Heck, I'm a girl and used to wrestle with my brothers and dad...none of us were ever seriously hurt and suffered no long term damage from the 'abuse'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or