Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times

Advertisements

**Split From Another Thread Because It's A New Topic That Warranted It's Own Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
The thing is that learning letters, numbers and vocabulary sooner rather than later makes no difference to her intellect. She won't be smarter just because she learnt them earlier.
My daughter's daycare had two kids, that started 3rd grade at age 6. In some areas you can test your child into higher grades if they are ahead.

Last edited by Jaded; 07-09-2013 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Split Thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 AM

63 posts, read 63,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
My daughter's daycare had two kids, that started 3rd grade at age 6. In some areas you can test your child into higher grades if they are ahead.
That's the case here too. Both me and GF skipped grades.

Although if I could go back I wouldn't have done it and not been in such a rush to get into the "real world." School was much more fun.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:08 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
But do you really think thats good for a kid? To go into 3rd grade at age 6 or something similar? I don't. I don't really understand the obsession some parents have with wanting their children to learn more and more at younger and younger ages.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
But do you really think thats good for a kid? To go into 3rd grade at age 6 or something similar? I don't. I don't really understand the obsession some parents have with wanting their children to learn more and more at younger and younger ages.
Yes I think it can be good. Martin Luther King graduated high school at age 15 himself. My dad who is an engineer started college at 16. I don't think it hurts at all.

My daughter is already ahead and will likely be reading before kindergarten, no point in putting her there where she'll be bored and unchallenged.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Yes I think it can be good. Martin Luther King graduated high school at age 15 himself. My dad who is an engineer started college at 16. I don't think it hurts at all.

My daughter is already ahead and will likely be reading before kindergarten, no point in putting her there where she'll be bored and unchallenged.
There's more to each grade than the level of reading, writing and arithmetic. You miss a grade you miss out on learning other things, besides the issues with being possibly several years younger than everyone else in your class or starting school when your maturity levels aren't at the right stage. It helps to have kids of different ability levels in the same class, the smarter ones can help the ones that are behind and learn how to be supportive, how to teach and how to cooperate - I think thats much more valuable to a child than finishing school a year or two earlier.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
There's more to each grade than the level of reading, writing and arithmetic. You miss a grade you miss out on learning other things, besides the issues with being possibly several years younger than everyone else in your class or starting school when your maturity levels aren't at the right stage. It helps to have kids of different ability levels in the same class, the smarter ones can help the ones that are behind and learn how to be supportive, how to teach and how to cooperate - I think thats much more valuable to a child than finishing school a year or two earlier.
It really depends on the child, but I'm not holding my child back to help those who are further behind. I want her placed on her abilities, not her age. Sometimes when kids are ahead of their classmates they end up getting bored and start falling behind because they get lazy and become disinterested in school.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
It really depends on the child, but I'm not holding my child back to help those who are further behind. I want her placed on her abilities, not her age. Sometimes when kids are ahead of their classmates they end up getting bored and start falling behind because they get lazy and become disinterested in school.
Fair enough. I want my kid to learn more than just academics at school though. And a kid that becomes bored, lazy and disinterested because they are ahead of the rest of the class clearly hasn't learnt how to take responsibility for their own learning. I was the kid that was ahead in school, when I got bored I found something else to do, volunteered to help teach the younger children or just read a book.

Last edited by Jaded; 07-09-2013 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Removed Cut Due to Split Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
3rd grade at age 6 is skipping 2 grades. I wouldn't do that. I would allow my kids to skip a grade because they are already old for their grade. Skipping would make them the "right" age. I think the social aspect of school is important, and they'd miss out on some of that if they were always younger than their classmates.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:37 PM

63 posts, read 63,087 times
I chose to skip grades to get the hell out of the ghetto... and because I was already dating college chicks

Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
No. UNless it was preschool or kindergarten. Even then, probably no. What is the hurry? Mostly I think parents do it so they can generate a feeling of self accomplishment. I do not see how it is in any way beneficial to a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting