U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 10:17 PM

27,604 posts, read 45,080,155 times

Advertisements

My daughter's best friend is having her second child--a boy--this October. Her first son is 7 now so it has been a while since she has bought/used baby clothing. She did save some things from her son's babyhood but want to buy her some new items.
Because they are in Florida, the winter is warm--so they need clothing that breathes...they will swaddle, too, at least at first.

Has anyone here used gowns vs one-piece sleepers? T]Kissy Kissy is brand on Amazon that makes them. To me that is a practical choice for the first month or so while the umbilicus heals...makes it easy to change diapers too...
Anyone use a "convertible gown" which has snaps and turns into a two-leg sleeper?
I saw some on Amazon--couple of different brands--but can't find anything in my area to feel the material.
Put couple of queries on Amazon about the weight of fabric but no replies yet...

Also has anyone tried a muslin sleep-sac? the type that has a zipper that opens from the bottom--sleeveless--so the baby would need at least a t-shirt as well--
but thought that might work well too for the initial newborn period...

any suggestions appreciated
CD people usually have good insight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 10:43 PM

161 posts, read 166,079 times
Default Loved Kissy Kissy!

It's been a couple of years since I've purchased newborn clothes, but Kissy Kissy was one of my absolute favorites! Super super soft. Insanely soft. And thin in a good way, light and breathable. Washed in Dreft...oh my! Perfect newborn combo

I did really enjoy using newborn gowns. Made multiple middle of the night diaper changes easier. Snaps can be difficult for the sleep deprived! And I liked that snaps and zippers weren't up against baby's skin.

I didn't use muslin sleepers. I used muslin blankets, which I found perfect for swaddling. And I tried some different sleepers, but I never found any I loved. And once I got into a groove with swaddling and layering with other items at various times of the year (swaddling blankets, onesies, gowns, socks, eventually footed pjs) i didn't really see the point of the sleepers. But I know some folks love 'em, so maybe someone can offer a different perspective.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:57 PM

Thanks for prompt reply--
were you able to use the gowns for good length of time?
I have no idea how big her baby might be--she doesn't look like she is as far along as she really is so her baby might be small...
my daughter had baby couple of years ago and he was 10lbs at birth--and 22.5 "--a week overdue as well--so newborn wasn't really an option for her

Old 09-02-2014, 11:09 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,634,661 times
I used the gowns for the first few weeks - especially with my twins. It was nice not having to try to figure out how to snap and unsnap things when you are in zombie mode. As the kids got older, I used the sleep sacks for quite a while. It kept them warm, and I did not have to worry about blankets in the crib.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:12 PM

sleepsacks will be too warm I think especially if they swaddle
baby is in FL and even in winter people often are running the AC or having the windows open
I know you keep an infant warmer than an older child--
but the heavy type material that is coming into stores now for fall/winter is usually too warm for Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting