U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-07-2014, 08:45 AM
 
8,547 posts, read 5,301,908 times
Reputation: 9120

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I would call the cops if I saw a young child left unattended in a car. I would have no idea of how long the child had been in there, and as a mandated reporter I am not in a position to just walk away.
You wouldn't even look around first to see if mom was in sight? Or just wait one minute to see if she showed up?

It's not illegal to leave kids in the car in my state. If the cops were called because mom went to return the grocery cart or a book to the book return or put a video in the Red Box kiosk, or get cash from the walk up ATM, I can't imagine they'd do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Go to a drive thru atm, or go at a time when your kids aren't with you. It isn't an either or situation, there are a bunch of OTHER thing you could do besides leaving children unattended in a car.
They aren't "unattended" if mom can see them in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2014, 08:54 AM
 
15,812 posts, read 13,255,696 times
Reputation: 19712
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You wouldn't even look around first to see if mom was in sight? Or just wait one minute to see if she showed up?

It's not illegal to leave kids in the car in my state. If the cops were called because mom went to return the grocery cart or a book to the book return or put a video in the Red Box kiosk, or get cash from the walk up ATM, I can't imagine they'd do anything.



They aren't "unattended" if mom can see them in the car.
How am I supposed to know who the mom is just by looking? I know that you are fond of the extreme but I am still going by the OP, who I quoted btw, who mentioned going IN stores and the post office and so on.

If the cops choose not to do anything, so be it, they are the experts, but the person I quoted seemed to be asking the general public not to report when we see something, that in many states is child endangerment. I am not onboard with that, and think it is fair to let her know it is likely many people wouldn't be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 09:05 AM
 
43,012 posts, read 89,296,520 times
Reputation: 30265
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I would call the cops if I saw a young child left unattended in a car. I would have no idea of how long the child had been in there, and as a mandated reporter I am not in a position to just walk away.
You'd be calling the police multiple times a day where I live. It's the norm for parents to leave children in cars the way people have shared here. Eventually the 911 operators would stop sending police when you call. If you became a habitual cry-wolf'er, police might charge you with misuse and abuse of 911.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 09:06 AM
 
8,547 posts, read 5,301,908 times
Reputation: 9120
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
How am I supposed to know who the mom is just by looking? I know that you are fond of the extreme but I am still going by the OP, who I quoted btw, who mentioned going IN stores and the post office and so on.

If the cops choose not to do anything, so be it, they are the experts, but the person I quoted seemed to be asking the general public not to report when we see something, that in many states is child endangerment. I am not onboard with that, and think it is fair to let her know it is likely many people wouldn't be.
Mom would be the lady looking at you suspiciously as you peer into her car. I don't think I'm the one who is going to extremes here. You have noted that leaving kids in the car for any reason, is never ok. You said that you would call the police if you saw a kid alone in a car. That is not just specific to the op because if you immediately call the police whenever you see a kid alone in a car, that could be for the kid who's mom just went to return a cart or it could be for the mom who is inside of a store. You have no way of knowing the situation when you just immediately react like that. If you don't wait a minute then you won't know, which is why I asked you to clarify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 09:10 AM
 
43,012 posts, read 89,296,520 times
Reputation: 30265
I've enjoyed reading this thread over the past few days. The parents who chose to take their children with them at all times are giving me great laughs by passionately attacking people who truly do not care what they think. Very funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 09:18 AM
 
8,547 posts, read 5,301,908 times
Reputation: 9120
What scares me about this thread is that if I, as the mom make the judgment call that it is not only ok, but in some cases, safer for my child to remain in the car for minute while I walk through a parking lot to drop a book in a book drop, or return a shopping cart, or something similar, I could come back to my car to find someone who thinks kids "should never be alone in a car" on the phone with the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 09:26 AM
 
43,012 posts, read 89,296,520 times
Reputation: 30265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
What scares me about this thread is that if I, as the mom make the judgment call that it is not only ok, but in some cases, safer for my child to remain in the car for minute while I walk through a parking lot to drop a book in a book drop, or return a shopping cart, or something similar, I could come back to my car to find someone who thinks kids "should never be alone in a car" on the phone with the police.
You'll be gone before the police arrive. After all, they can't possibly arrive faster than it takes to return a shopping cart. The person who called the police will be left to explain herself to the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 09:29 AM
 
8,547 posts, read 5,301,908 times
Reputation: 9120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You'll be gone before the police arrive. After all, they can't possibly arrive faster than it takes to return a shopping cart. The person who called the police will be left to explain herself to the police.
True. It would just be so shocking to even experience something like that. Having to even encounter the person calling the police would be crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
85,085 posts, read 99,155,665 times
Reputation: 31559
Something that was said yesterday is just starting to sink in, LOL! Much has been made of how the Danes, in particular, leave their kids in a stroller outside a store, restaurant, etc and go inside. Lots of people defend that practice! But leave them in a locked car for the 30 seconds or so it takes to put some books in the book drop here in the US-GASP, then call the police!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2014, 09:48 AM
 
15,812 posts, read 13,255,696 times
Reputation: 19712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You'd be calling the police multiple times a day where I live. It's the norm for parents to leave children in cars the way people have shared here. Eventually the 911 operators would stop sending police when you call. If you became a habitual cry-wolf'er, police might charge you with misuse and abuse of 911.
Luckily not a concern here, I have only ever seen it once. And as a mandated reporter, I doubt they would charge me with anything, regardless.

As for the fears of others about having the police called, if you are really only gone a few minutes, than I wouldn't worry about it, the cops would probably advise you not to do it anymore and then send you on your way. But if it is so ok to leave kids in a car unattended why are you even worried about the police anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top