U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 12:21 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,798,965 times

Advertisements

There have been People who have left their child in a car for just a minute.

But when they came back, the car, and child were gone by a thief.

Some of these children were killed, some were used in a ransom trades.

It happens in just a few seconds.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 12:41 PM

12,944 posts, read 19,890,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post

Yes, and has been pointed out, kids have been killed outside of the car in a parking lot. Kids have also fallen out of carts because they weren't placed in their carseats before the parent unloaded the groceries.

Life is full of risk. Some of those risks are tiny. Somehow, we all have to get out of bed in the morning and do the best we can.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:42 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,513,631 times
Quote:

Oh for goodness sakes. There have been far more children run over by cars. Although I hear those ransom trades are an epidemic !

Old 09-07-2014, 01:00 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,116,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You wouldn't even look around first to see if mom was in sight? Or just wait one minute to see if she showed up?

It's not illegal to leave kids in the car in my state. If the cops were called because mom went to return the grocery cart or a book to the book return or put a video in the Red Box kiosk, or get cash from the walk up ATM, I can't imagine they'd do anything.

They aren't "unattended" if mom can see them in the car.

How would you know who the mom is? She's not wearing a sign!

While it may not be illegal, it's not smart. And there does come a point where it is illegal. It's called endangering the welfare of a child. The law in many states isn't called leaving your kid in the car.

If you are not physically with your child, they are unattended!

Last edited by ss20ts; 09-07-2014 at 01:08 PM..

Old 09-07-2014, 01:07 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,077,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Oh for goodness sakes. There have been far more children run over by cars. Although I hear those ransom trades are an epidemic !
I always keep my children near me in case of a ransom trade. You just never know. One time my neighbor's sister in law's aunt's dog was kidnapped in one of those schemes, which was a startling reminder to for me remain vigilant. I advise you to do the same.

Last edited by strawflower; 09-07-2014 at 01:21 PM..

Old 09-07-2014, 01:25 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,296,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If you are not physically with your child, they are unattended!
What distance do you consider physically with your child? Five feet?

Old 09-07-2014, 01:33 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,798,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
kids have been killed outside of the car in a parking lot.
Kids have also fallen out of carts because they weren't placed in their carseats
before the parent unloaded the groceries.
This is an example of parent ignorance and accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Oh for goodness sakes.
There have been far more children run over by cars.
This is another example of accidents.

People say these things because it is not one of their children who
are kidnapped and killed or molested.
Leaving little children in cars unattended is foolish child endangerment,
and should be against the law.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:40 PM

12,944 posts, read 19,890,461 times
Quote:

This is an example of parent ignorance and accidents.

This is another example of accidents.

People say these things because it is not one of their children who
are kidnapped and killed or molested.
Leaving little children in cars unattended is foolish child endangerment,
and should be against the law.

Wait, so parents who leave their child in the cart while they are unloading, with the intention of keeping them close until the cart is returned to the corral, are ignorant, but parents who choose to buckle their child safely into the car, and walk the cart over alone, are also ignorant? Which is it?

Old 09-07-2014, 01:58 PM

85,086 posts, read 99,155,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If you can see your kids and get to them before they put the car into neutral and roll into the street, before they can open the door and head out, before someone can hop in and make off with them, then it doesn't count as leaving them unattended.

They could also race into traffic while standing alongside. However, the nimble parent will grab the kid before he gets all that far. How do you do that when the car is 50 yards away?

There will always be parents who leave their kids in the car. Just as there will always be parents who let their toddlers wander around the apartment parking lot in droopy diapers.

There are even parents who leave their young children sleeping in hotel rooms in foreign countries while they go out for dinner.

And every once in a while something happens.

Then the parents plead for someone to do something, to bring back their precious child, the one they left alone in the hotel room, left to walk unsupervised to a neighbor's, left in the car for just a few minutes while they ran a quick errand.

I was just decided that that parent wasn't going to be me. That child wasn't going to be one of those I was raising.

Each to their own.
Technology Helps To Keep Rate Of Car Thefts Down : NPR

Now, this is about car thefts, and making cars harder to steal, however, it makes them harder to start, and harder to be "fiddled" with by kids.

This thread is not about letting one's kid run around in droopy diapers or leaving them alone in hotel rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You know I always used pay at the pump for getting gas. I used a book drop where I could open my car window and drop the books in at the library. I used the drive up window at the bank. I parked near the cart return at the grocery store (sometimes there were not spots, but most of the time there were) or used the special spots for people with small children. As I said in a previous post, a little planning goes a long way.

Also, having two adults help or leaving kids home for errands is certainly a possibility.
OK, here's the street view of my Walgreen's and the RedBox outside where we return our videos. (Kind of blurry) You can see a person in front of the Red Box. That is usually not the case unless it's Friday or Saturday night. In other words, you can return the movie in the daytime w/o having to wait. If there is a line, you can take the child with you or wait in the car until it clears. You can almost always get a parking space right by the machine, or you can park illegally right in front of it, and no one much cares as long as you clear out right away.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9869...UP8M587xaw!2e0

Here's the library I was talking about. The book drop is up against the building. The circular driveway is one way such that it is on the passenger side of the car, so one does have to get out of the car to put the books in.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9175...Gg!2e0!6m1!1e1

Taking another adult or leavin kids at home works, but that's not doable 100% of the time. Are you suggesting that moms stay home all day, then do errands when their partner is at home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If I'm going into a store and I see a mother (or dad) unloading groceries and her kids I often walk over and say, "I'll take your cart when your done." They're always happy to not have to worry about the cart. I've also had mothers with kids tell me they'll take my cart if I'm unloading and they are parked near me and have kids in the car. (The local library has a drive-thru book drop. Those are very handy.)

Life is much easier when we keep an eye out for each other.
How very nice of you! I think I'm going to start doing that more.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:06 PM

11,171 posts, read 6,660,855 times
Quote:
some were used in a ransom trades.
Well jokes on them, I don't have any money for ransom trades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or