U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 09:50 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,152,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We are trying to get to the bottom of what specific distance you consider your child unattended.

You mentioned a kiosk. Where I live, they are located on the sidewalks in front of convenience stores. Car parking places pull up to the sidewalk. It's entirely possible the front of your car can be literally two feet away from the kiosk. Cart returns can be just a few feet away if you park your car near the cart return.

You're drawing an unrealistic hard line of what constitutes attended and unattended. You are saying you literally have to be in the car at all times. Period. Or children are unattended.

That means your children are unattended while you pump gas even if you pay for gas at the pump with a credit card. Or do you unload all of your children to stand around you in a gas station parking inhaling gasoline vapors while you pump the gas?

Do you drag your child along with you to put your cart away in the cart return? Do you hold their hands while you are pushing the cart past all of those cars that can't see your child when they are backing out of a parking place? What if there are five children? You only have two hands and one is needed to push the cart.

Let's assume you don't know how to change a tire, but your husband certainly does. If he has the children out with him alone (no other adult is with him), and the car gets a flat tire, does he drag the children out to stand at the side of a busy highway while he changes the tire? Or does he leave the children inside the car while he changes the tire? Either way, he isn't focused on the children. He's focused on changing the tire. Do you really expect us to believe that children are safer standing along a busy highway instead of sitting inside a car while a parent is focused on another task?

Inquiring minds want to know specific details on how you manage to function in your perfect safe little world.
You've completely gone off what the OP posted. I only use drive thru ATM's. Not a problem where I live. And yes, I bring the kids with me back and forth when I return a shopping cart. Not a big deal.

I rarely get gas. My husband normally does it while I remain in the vehicle. When I do get gas, I'm by myself.

You're asking a bunch of what ifs. What ifs that do not apply to me. I would NEVER have 5 children. I'd run away from home before that EVER happened.

I never said anything about having children stand on the side of the highway. That was all you going off on your own odd tangent. That wasn't what the OP asked at all. FYI...we don't have highways where I live.I have to travel 20 minutes to get to one and it's not free so I rarely drive on it anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 10:05 PM

33,344 posts, read 12,785,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Good for you, want a cookie?
This thread has taken a snarky turn.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:24 PM

8,547 posts, read 5,322,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You hold their hand if they're too old to be held. If they're smaller enough to be held, then you hold them. Why is this so difficult?
Why is it necessary if they are strapped into their car seat just a few feet away from you? What is the big deal?

Quote:
You've completely gone off what the OP posted. I only use drive thru ATM's. Not a problem where I live. And yes, I bring the kids with me back and forth when I return a shopping cart. Not a big deal.

I rarely get gas. My husband normally does it while I remain in the vehicle. When I do get gas, I'm by myself.

You're asking a bunch of what ifs. What ifs that do not apply to me. I would NEVER have 5 children. I'd run away from home before that EVER happened.

I never said anything about having children stand on the side of the highway. That was all you going off on your own odd tangent. That wasn't what the OP asked at all. FYI...we don't have highways where I live.I have to travel 20 minutes to get to one and it's not free so I rarely drive on it anywhere.
I really don't get what the big deal is for these types of things? I can't believe that people think that it's dangerous to leave a kid in the car while they return a grocery cart or pump gas. If it makes people feel safer to do this then they should go ahead and do it but please don't judge others who don't share this viewpoint. And please don't call 911 for these types of things.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:40 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,468,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
That is not the only thing which can happen. What if your car gets stolen with your little one in the car?
How is someone going to steal your car if it's locked, you have the car keys, and you're just a few feet away from your car?

Quote:
You hold their hand if they're too old to be held. If they're smaller enough to be held, then you hold them. Why is this so difficult?
Some parents have multiple children. My girlfriend has triplets.

Quote:
You're making blanket attacks and accusing people of not being good parents without taking into consideration that there are parents who have many more children than you do. My neighbor had 5 children within 6 years. That's right, all of her children are under 6 years old.

Quote:
You're evading the question because you know darn well your children would be safer inside the car while a tire is changed instead of having them stand on the side of the road if you had no way to call for roadside assistance because your phone died or didn't have service.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:03 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,278,150 times
I used to, but people kept freaking out, now I stick them in the trunk

Old 09-08-2014, 11:21 PM

7,014 posts, read 12,454,155 times
I think more of my kids to do something like that. You say maybe just to drop off a movie rental or something? Knew a lady who went in a store to buy a coke. No other customers, so she didn't have to wait in line. But just as she got to the register, her 6 yr old got out of the car seat, climbed in the front seat, and took the car through the front of the store.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:23 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,468,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I used to, but people kept freaking out, now I stick them in the trunk
I just left mine home alone. It saved me the hassle of getting them dressed and carrying them to the car. I scattered Cheerios on the floor to keep them entertained while I was gone. Truly, they were safer at home. I could have gotten into a car accident while driving to the ATM. As a matter of fact, I never let them leave the house. Ever. I think it's terribly irresponsible for parents to take their children out into the big world. Anything could have happened to them away from home. The world is filled with so many scary people just waiting to take my children. Yep, they were definitely safer at home. And it was way more convenient too because car seats are such a PITA.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:25 PM

21,169 posts, read 22,246,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I think more of my kids to do something like that. You say maybe just to drop off a movie rental or something? Knew a lady who went in a store to buy a coke. No other customers, so she didn't have to wait in line. But just as she got to the register, her 6 yr old got out of the car seat, climbed in the front seat, and took the car through the front of the store.
Yet again, people leaving the car running and leaving a child while they enter a building. Not at all what most everyone on this thread is discussing.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:38 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,326,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
you don't leave them with the car running (or the keys, if they're older). Durr.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:41 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,326,589 times
Just days ago a sixth-grader in our city just got hit by a driver who ran a red, right in front of his school. Clearly responsible parents shouldn't let kids be at school alone, how lazy and selfish of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or