Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 02:44 PM

13,626 posts, read 10,029,608 times

Advertisements

What if the place gets robbed while you are in there, or it's old persons' day?

Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 02:45 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No, I would not leave a child in a car unattended.

The risk, even remote, is too high compared to the "reward" which is self serving at best.
What is the risk of strapping a child into a car seat and then walking the grocery cart to the cart return in the supermarket parking lot? I'd think it would be riskier to bring them with me to the cart return because the chances of getting hit by a car while walking through a parking lot seems greater then anything happening while strapped into their car seat in a parked car in a parking space.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:53 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
What if the place gets robbed while you are in there, or it's old persons' day?

Nope.
Can you clarify? What is old person's day? If you go into a store either with or without your child and the store gets robbed, what difference does it make? I don't understand your post.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Can you clarify? What is old person's day? If you go into a store either with or without your child and the store gets robbed, what difference does it make? I don't understand your post.
The place gets locked down, child gets cooked or maybe frozen, (depending on where you are) in the car.

Old persons' day is the day that the pensioners go to collect their pensions, and spend loads of time dithering and trying to strike up conversations with post office, or shop staff.

I'm talking UK here, but maybe you have an equivalent, wherever you are.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:16 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
The place gets locked down, child gets cooked or maybe frozen, (depending on where you are) in the car.

Old persons' day is the day that the pensioners go to collect their pensions, and spend loads of time dithering and trying to strike up conversations with post office, or shop staff.

I'm talking UK here, but maybe you have an equivalent, wherever you are.
But you are talking about actually entering a building and making a purchase now. I don't think anybody has responded that they are comfortable with that.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:27 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,697,976 times
No, not comfortable with entering the building to make a purchase. What I have been talking about is a less than one minute task along the lines of using an ATM. Never out of sight of the car.

For what it's worth, we don't have any equivalent to old person's day.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
But you are talking about actually entering a building and making a purchase now. I don't think anybody has responded that they are comfortable with that.
Even if not entering a building, still can't leave children in the car alone. Cars have been known to be stolen with the children still in them. Someone could also easily distract you while someone else intentionally takes the child. Do you lock the car, if so, the remote may fail, and leave you locked out of the car.

There's also all the mischief that a child can get up to, even in a minute or so. I wouldn't even leave the keys in the car in my own garden, with my daughter anywhere near it.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Even if not entering a building, still can't leave children in the car alone. Cars have been known to be stolen with the children still in them. Someone could also easily distract you while someone else intentionally takes the child. Do you lock the car, if so, the remote may fail, and leave you locked out of the car.

There's also all the mischief that a child can get up to, even in a minute or so. I wouldn't even leave the keys in the car in my own garden, with my daughter anywhere near it.
The cars that are stolen with child inside are cars left unlocked, running or with the keys in the ignition while the parent goes into a building. If you lock the car and the remote fails - you still can unlock the car the old fashioned way - with the actual key. That still works.

A child under the age of 5 (as the OP mentioned) is in a car seat. If one is walking 10 feet to the book drop or the ATM, the child is not going to get themselves out of the carseat and have enough time to get into mischief before you step back into the car.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:33 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:

If you know that your kid can't unbuckle their car seat then there really isn't much for them to get into.

The chances of someone intentionally trying to kidnap a strangers child are ridiculously low, especially when mom can see the car and there are no keys in the car.

I'm curious if people let their kids, under 5 play on a playground without them being right by their side the entire time?

Old 09-06-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The cars that are stolen with child inside are cars left unlocked, running or with the keys in the ignition while the parent goes into a building. If you lock the car and the remote fails - you still can unlock the car the old fashioned way - with the actual key. That still works.

A child under the age of 5 (as the OP mentioned) is in a car seat. If one is walking 10 feet to the book drop or the ATM, the child is not going to get themselves out of the carseat and have enough time to get into mischief before you step back into the car.
True about the keys, but as for the not getting themselves out of the seats, I've not known any child over two years old that can't get themselves unbuckled and out of their seats, and hence they can get out of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If you know that your kid can't unbuckle their car seat then there really isn't much for them to get into.

The chances of someone intentionally trying to kidnap a strangers child are ridiculously low, especially when mom can see the car and there are no keys in the car.

I'm curious if people let their kids, under 5 play on a playground without them being right by their side the entire time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting