Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 03:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
True about the keys, but as for the not getting themselves out of the seats, I've not known any child over two years old that can't get themselves unbuckled and out of their seats, and hence they can get out of the car.
I don't doubt they "can" do this but in the 30 seconds (probably less) it takes to drop off a book or return a grocery cart?

All cars that I know of (even 20+ years ago when mine were young) have childproof doors in the back where the carseats are - if the switch is flipped (and mine always were), then the doors cannot be opened from the inside. The 2 year old who can figure out Mom is out of the car for a minute, unbuckle and get out of their car seat, get into the front seat and get out of the car in that amount of time is talented indeed. I guess if that child belongs to you, then you don't do that. I'm doubtful that describes most 2yr olds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 04:05 PM

14,310 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
True about the keys, but as for the not getting themselves out of the seats, I've not known any child over two years old that can't get themselves unbuckled and out of their seats, and hence they can get out of the car.
Maybe your car seats are not as secure as ours. My kids could not get themselves out until they were at least 5 and I was fervently wishing they would learn how to unbuckle (and still more, to buckle). But as babies and toddlers--nope, they couldn't undo all those various buckles and I never saw them even try. Maybe some kids are little Houdinis. Mine weren't!

Old 09-06-2014, 04:09 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Neither of my kids were able to do this. I think knowing what your kid is capable of plays a role in the decision to leave them or not.

Last edited by MissTerri; 09-06-2014 at 04:20 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 04:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If you know that your kid can't unbuckle their car seat then there really isn't much for them to get into.

The chances of someone intentionally trying to kidnap a strangers child are ridiculously low, especially when mom can see the car and there are no keys in the car.

I'm curious if people let their kids, under 5 play on a playground without them being right by their side the entire time?
People on this board have defended moms who let their toddlers (under two) play at a park some distance away. People on this board have defended moms leaving 9 year olds in parks all day, letting 8-9 year olds take public transportation by themselves, yet they have a problem with leaving the child in the car at an ATM or a book drop?

Old 09-06-2014, 04:44 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowtree2222 View Post
I'm not talking about shopping. I'm talking grabbing a free newspaper or at the post office grabbing an envelope or at the library dropping off books or at the DVD rental.
Stuff like that.
You "grab an envelope" at the post office?? You do realize that you have to go to the counter and PURCHASE the envelope.... more than a minute

Grabbing a free paper in a store? More than a minute

Dropping off a book at a library --- unless you're dropping it in the slot, more than a minute

Dropping a DVD rental? Do people even rent DVDs anymore? Still, more than a minute.

Stop being LAZY and IRRESPONSIBLE..... if you have something to do, take the kid with you.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:46 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
People on this board have defended moms who let their toddlers (under two) play at a park some distance away. People on this board have defended moms leaving 9 year olds in parks all day, letting 8-9 year olds take public transportation by themselves, yet they have a problem with leaving the child in the car at an ATM or a book drop?

Please tell me who on this board left a child under the age of 2 at a park alone and went someplace else. LINK THE THREAD.

9 year olds are old enough to play in parks in groups by themselves.

8 or 9 year olds shouldn't be taking the subway alone but the bus is fine if the kid has enough brains and common sense and knows the route

Old 09-06-2014, 04:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
You "grab an envelope" at the post office?? You do realize that you have to go to the counter and PURCHASE the envelope.... more than a minute

Grabbing a free paper in a store? More than a minute

Dropping off a book at a library --- unless you're dropping it in the slot, more than a minute

Dropping a DVD rental? Do people even rent DVDs anymore? Still, more than a minute.

Stop being LAZY and IRRESPONSIBLE..... if you have something to do, take the kid with you.
Have you actually read the thread? Using the book slot is exactly what most everyone is talking about. Not going into the library. DVD rentals? Sure - I just returned a DVD this morning. My kids are grown and gone but if I still had toddlers - I would not have taken them out of the car seat so that I could walk 3 feet to the (outdoor) Redbox kiosk and return the DVD. I'm far from lazy or irresponsible.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:53 PM

14,310 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:

I use Priority envelopes...they're free. Walk in, take one.

That said, I didn't leave my less-than-5-year-old children in the car while I went into the post office. Book drop, video return, ATM...sure. I still haven't seen anything on this thread that makes a convincing case that to do so is lazy or irresponsible.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:57 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
To return carts at the grocery store, yes. It isn't more than 10-15 seconds. I think they are safer in a locked car than being in the parking lot.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:59 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Please tell me who on this board left a child under the age of 2 at a park alone and went someplace else. LINK THE THREAD.
The question was about letting kids, under the age of five play at a playground a short distance away. Not at the park alone but maybe mom is 20 feet or so away from where her child is playing. Basically, the same distance mom would be if she walked from her car to the cart return, or from her car to the book drop, etc. I asked because I think the two are similar situations. If you can see your child and get to them within a minute or less when needed then what is it about them being strapped into a car seat in a car, vs on a playground that makes the car scenario so much more dangerous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting