U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 03:36 PM

9,921 posts, read 6,346,034 times

Advertisements

Interesting meeting this morning. The Dean wanted to thank us for being supportive of the school system, said he has any number of parents who are adversarial from the get-go and just want to go to battle everytime something comes up. I mentioned that if it's typically that way, perhaps the school system should look at policies that don't really make sense and consider some revision...it's all well and good to simply assume the parents are being unreasonable...except when maybe they're not.

I told him that while we are all on the same team with the same objective here, not to get me wrong in that if I weighed it all up and found it to be worth it, I would definitely go to battle for my son. The main issue I've got here is his ability to put it behind him and move forward. And if I raised a loud and public ruckus over the policy, it would be much more difficult for him to do so. With no guarantee that any actual change would come about as a result. My analysis of the risks versus the rewards didn't look favorable.

As for this issue in my son's file...

He told me exactly what will go down. After this school year, they purge the electronic records of these incidents. A paper copy will be kept on file which will include not only the heading of the incident but the text description of what occurred (it's one piece of paper) and that will be it. It won't be considered in any aggregations of discipline beyond this year. During the remainder of this school year, if he gets in similar trouble again, then of course the consequences will deepen, which I would expect. If he remains in this district, the paper will sit in his file as he goes through the school system and all, but if he were to transfer to another district, it would be purged (shredded) and would not go with him. As of now, that's simply how the school's filing system works. He showed me the policy, and told me that they get usually multiple infractions daily that fall under this. Despite the disturbing practice of calling it something it technically isn't (at least according to the legal body that coined the phrase at the national level for workplace regs) the reality of the situation simply is not as alarming as what I had feared.

Tomorrow morning he returns to school. His peers know very little of the situation (they don't even know for fact that he was suspended) according to the teacher and Dean. Hoping they don't hassle him too much.

Thanks everyone for your input. It has been useful, bouncing my thoughts off the forum and getting yours in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 04:07 PM

12,943 posts, read 19,885,336 times
I think you handled it beautifully Sonic. I've gone head-to-head with school administrations in the past, and it's never easy. Good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or