Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 03:34 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,227,961 times

Advertisements

This is just a whining thread I don't know why but I get a lot more upset over even minor illnesses than other parents I know

We had all been sick a lot in the last two years and some weeks have been pretty miserable - both me and my 4 yo son have reactive airway, which means even minor colds will leave us with horrible dry nighttime coughs for weeks sometimes and he'll sometimes need albuterol The summer has been good, but now, before DS has even gotten back in preschool, he's saying his throat hurts I know where he got it too - we went on a playdate two days ago, and towards the end of it, after the boys have run around and played for over an hour, his mom mentions how he got too cold while swimming the day before and woke up at night with a cold and runny nose She's a new friend so I didn't say anything but inside I was just 'agggghhhhh, and WHY are you here and just telling me this now???'. Gaaah. We washed hands well afterwards but must've been too late, I was hoping DS wouldn't catch it but here we are. And next week is his first week of preschool which I'd hate for him to miss, AND DH is supposed to go away on a business trip - and whenever DS is sick we always catch it from him so I foresee a fun week coming for all of us. To top it off we just moved into a new house and are still unpacking and having renovations going on. Ack. Just a rant and a whine about cold season starting and some inconsiderate parents. Welcome to fall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 03:44 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Sorry to hear about the illnesses--no fun, especially with little kids. Are you taking extra vitamin D? It takes time to build up in your system but once you're at a good blood level, it really helps beef up the immune system. We've been taking it for several years and very rarely get sick any more, even when my kids are exposed to other sick children.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:36 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Never fails. Two weeks after schools open, everyone is sick.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I doubt your son's friend has a cold. It's more likely his runny nose is from swimming. It's very common due to getting water up the nose and chlorine being an irritant. I was a competitive swimmer. I know all too well.

Since you say his only symptom is a sore throat, why haven't you considered strep? You didn't mention any cold symptoms.

If it's not strep, it's possible your son has allergies. Ragweed season just started. If you don't keep allergies in check with allergy medication, they can turn into sinus infections. Kids shouldn't miss school for allergies. Allergies just a fact of life that people need to still function having. If you get into the habit of keeping your son home for allergy symptoms, you'll have a hard time abiding by mandated attendance laws when your son is in elementary school. He should only stay home from school if he has a fever.

Allergies become more obvious when you notice they get "colds" and sinus infections the same time every year for a few years in a row. It wasn't until my son was in 4th grade that I pointed this cycle out to the doctor. He tried to blow it off, and said that I could get him tested but that didn't mean he'd get allergy shots. Well I had him tested and it turned out he was allergic to almost everything. And he did get allergy shots. The quality of his life improved dramatically and he missed less school.

Read this: Cold or allergy: Which is it? - Mayo Clinic

Old 09-11-2014, 11:50 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,319,012 times
I hear you about inconsiderate parents. So annoying!
This end of summer/ fall could also be tricky because of this enterovirus thing. We ended up at the hospital last Sunday and my daughter was hospitalized for two days, positive for 3 viruses including enterovirus.
Not saying that to scare anyone! But it seems that many kids could get sick.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:58 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
This is just a whining thread I don't know why but I get a lot more upset over even minor illnesses than other parents I know

We had all been sick a lot in the last two years and some weeks have been pretty miserable - both me and my 4 yo son have reactive airway, which means even minor colds will leave us with horrible dry nighttime coughs for weeks sometimes and he'll sometimes need albuterol The summer has been good, but now, before DS has even gotten back in preschool, he's saying his throat hurts I know where he got it too - we went on a playdate two days ago, and towards the end of it, after the boys have run around and played for over an hour, his mom mentions how he got too cold while swimming the day before and woke up at night with a cold and runny nose She's a new friend so I didn't say anything but inside I was just 'agggghhhhh, and WHY are you here and just telling me this now???'. Gaaah. We washed hands well afterwards but must've been too late, I was hoping DS wouldn't catch it but here we are. And next week is his first week of preschool which I'd hate for him to miss, AND DH is supposed to go away on a business trip - and whenever DS is sick we always catch it from him so I foresee a fun week coming for all of us. To top it off we just moved into a new house and are still unpacking and having renovations going on. Ack. Just a rant and a whine about cold season starting and some inconsiderate parents. Welcome to fall
Would just like to dispel this myth. You cannot catch cold from being wet and cold, although you can certainly be hypothermic.

If the kid had a cold, he had a cold, and that's what got passed on to your son.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:31 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,051 times
Here in Portland there are many people catching the same bug you mention. I mean a lot. My son has it, 3 of my co workers called in sick. 2 of my wifes co-workers called in sick. All of them have the same symptoms.

Its still warm and sunny here.. 80s and low 90s.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:33 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,560 times
It's everywhere. My sister and I both just came down with it in Texas - and we live several hours apart and haven't seen each other in weeks.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:10 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
I was down for five days, but I have no idea where I picked it up. My kids are all perfectly healthy so far. Sorry to hear of your troubles. You have my sympathy.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:46 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This was my first thought too. I personally had miserable Septembers and Junes all through elementary school growing up, and frequent sinus infections. My parents didn't catch on until I was a teenager, and I didn't really know any better of course as a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting