U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 06:58 PM

9 posts, read 6,457 times

Advertisements

my wife will be going to county jail for six months for a money crime. . I am willing to stick by her and not leave her because I feel She made some stupid mistakes but it was out of character so I think she just got herself into a bad situation and make some poor decisions. And I am not defending her or saying she should not serve her punishment. I told my kids she is rightfully serving her punishment which is the right thing for her mistakes.

I am wondering what is the best way to prepare for this situation and how to handle it.

I have a daughter who is 14 and she seems to be handling it fine. I told her right away about it and she reacted pretty calmly. She later joked about how her mother is "getting a vacation from home". I think it is just a joke and I think it is better to be that way instead of being hysterical

I am wondering if she should visit. Would it be wise to expose a 14 year old to a jail environment? It could be scary or traumatizing. My wife says bring her if she wants to and not if she doesn't want to, but even if she want to it might not be right. Seeing the environment and guards and other inmates probably might be scary.

Never thought of the day any of us would be in legal trouble or involved with the police.

I wonder if there is any real benefit of visiting or if phone calls are better

I hope to handle this situation well

Old 09-10-2014, 07:01 PM

12,932 posts, read 19,831,249 times
What does the 14 yr old want to do? I'm sure it would mean a great deal to her mother, if your daughter was willing to go.

It isn't really a question most of us will be qualified to answer though.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:04 PM

9 posts, read 6,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
What does the 14 yr old want to do? I'm sure it would mean a great deal to her mother, if your daughter was willing to go.

It isn't really a question most of us will be qualified to answer though.
she has no problem to visit.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:30 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,151,979 times
Unless you live in a large urban/high crime area, I don't expect county jail to be all that traumatizing.

IMHO showing your daughter that family sticks together, supports each other unconditionally, even when we make dumb mistakes, is the priority here. I encourage you to visit as long as your daughter is not strongly against it.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:34 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,759,864 times
I believe you are talking about county jail as opposed to state prison due to the length of your wife's sentence. A reasonably mature 14 yr. old should have no problems visiting someone at a county jail. You may be surprised how much of a non-issue it is to sit and visit at a table (think school cafeteria style) with your wife and daughter. If your daughter wants to go, then you should take her to visit (imho).

Old 09-10-2014, 07:35 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,100,171 times
We already answered this question of yours under a different username last December 2013.

Should my daughter visit her mother in jail? Am I handling the situation right?

Didn't your wife already go to jail? In December, it sounded like she was heading to jail soon.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:28 PM

39,237 posts, read 37,829,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We already answered this question of yours under a different username last December 2013.

Should my daughter visit her mother in jail? Am I handling the situation right?

Didn't your wife already go to jail? In December, it sounded like she was heading to jail soon.
Weird.

I would be more concerned that my daughter doesn't really seem to care that her mom is going to jail.

Of course, this appears to be made up, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:43 AM

939 posts, read 620,506 times
As a former inmate, I'd say let her visit. Visitation areas generally are not that "scary", and are certainly safe. She needs to SEE that her Mother is okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or