U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 01:49 PM

15,959 posts, read 8,893,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldBear View Post
Maybe I'm the only one but three and a half seems awfully young for teams sports. I raised three boys all with varying levels of interest in sports. The two older guys started LL baseball at about 7 and soccer the next year. The baby, born 9 years after the oldest , hated being on the sidelines and watching his big bros so we got him on an 8 under hockey team when he was 4 1/2 as that was the only sport that took kids that young.

The prospect of having 20 or 30 three year old's at a soccer practice seems to me like that of herding cats.
Yep, I'm thinking that's the case, too. OP, consider waiting a year and trying again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 02:14 PM

3,341 posts, read 2,419,500 times
Well, I'm happy to report our 2nd day at soccer was a success. This program is run by a different organization who had much smaller groups with several coaches/assistant coaches. I also stuck around my son the entire time kind of directing him what to do, where to go, etc. Still a blazing hot day today but the class was held at 9am so not too awful.

Zero hitting/pushing issues and he seemed interested up until about 45 minutes into it. But probably 50% of the kids were crying and ready to call it quits at that point. An hour is just far too long for kids at that age.

Thanks to everyone for the moral support.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:09 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,715,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Well, I'm happy to report our 2nd day at soccer was a success. This program is run by a different organization who had much smaller groups with several coaches/assistant coaches. I also stuck around my son the entire time kind of directing him what to do, where to go, etc. Still a blazing hot day today but the class was held at 9am so not too awful.

Zero hitting/pushing issues and he seemed interested up until about 45 minutes into it. But probably 50% of the kids were crying and ready to call it quits at that point. An hour is just far too long for kids at that age.

For a 3.5 year old that is an awesome amount of time to stay focused on something

So glad today was better!

Old 09-13-2014, 11:13 PM

85,086 posts, read 99,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Every single one of my friends who has had a child has eventually told me "It's not the Terrible Twos! It's the Terrible Threes!"

Kids are brats at 3. Their brains are developing rapidly, they're acquiring a more extensive vocabulary, they're gaining more motor control.... it's a lot to handle.

Limits. Expectations. Consequences.

I don't have kids, but I've got a lot of friends with extremely well-behaved children. Those are the things that all of those parents have in common. They explain exactly what they expect, what the rules are and what the consequences are. And then they follow through.

Although honestly, it seems to me that the situation you put your son in could be extremely overwhelming. That's a lot of kids and chaos. Some kids might adapt, and some kids might not.

A relative put his twin sons into soccer at the age of 4. One THRIVED on the soccer field. He loved it and quickly became the star of the team. The other son was terrified and couldn't deal. He cried the entire first practice and his parents didn't push him - he sat out that season and only came to games to cheer his brother on. A year or two later he felt ready to join a soccer team and asked his parents to sign him up - he's been happily participating for a few seasons now.

Your son might not be ready for the free-for-all that is preschool soccer is all.
This might not be your area of expertise, then.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:32 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,738,653 times
Quote:

Ever occur to you it's the weather? The reason there are so many crying kids. I hope you're putting sunscreen on your son.

Having lived in FL it is BRUTAL there a good part of the year and certainly this time of year.

By 9am it is already hot and humid this time of year.

I would be crying as well..LOL.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:34 AM

4,515 posts, read 3,805,616 times
He's only 3. He may be a young 3 compared to the rest of the kids, who may be almost 4 -- and at that age, 6 months makes a WORLD of difference. Give it another shot, and see how it goes. If not, no big deal -- pull out and try it again next spring or next fall, when he's a little older. You aren't training a future World Cup player, here, ok? I know the uniforms are adorable, etc. But it's just fun and exercise. Nothing stopping you guys from getting out in the yard with him and kicking a ball around -- help him develop coordination, eye-hand-foot coordination, get some exercise, etc. Maybe invite a little friend along for the fun.

First of all, one person for 20+ kids at that age is insane. No wonder it was chaotic. And 45 minutes is too long for that age -- 30 minutes, max. They have the attention span of a gnat.

Secondly, I did youth soccer for 20 years. 3, IMO, is too young for "organized" (especially, as in this case, DISorganized) sports -- our league (which has fielded national champions) will not take kids until they are 4 because they simply aren't ready.

Third, you do need to carry through on your promises. Make it kindly, make it cheerful, but make it stick: "Pete, you seem like you're not enjoying soccer practice -- if you're too tired to pay attention, I'll take you home. Let's try it again, buddy, and if you get tired and are having a hard time paying attention, we'll leave." Notice it isn't blaming the kid for being overwhelmed and overheated. It gives him an out with dignity.

And finally, I guarantee you that every single kid in that group is going to throw some sort of tantrum over the season. You just got an early start. :-) During games, you'll see kids suddenly sit on the field, fascinated by a bug they found in the grass. Or they wander back to the bench in the middle of the game, wanting a drink of water. Perfectly normal behavior. :-)

If you decide to stay in the program, you and he need to have a little pep talk before practice. Go over the rules - no shoving, etc. Rewards for good behavior -- maybe a stop for an ice cream cone after practice if he gets through practice in good shape. But again, he's just 3 -- so it might just be a little too much, too soon.

Good luck -- soccer is a great sport. The goal is for him to learn to enjoy it, not to learn to dread it.

PS: When he's 13 and 14 and playing soccer, there is lots of shoulder-to-shoulder contact. Maybe he's just getting a head start. :-)

Old 09-15-2014, 09:37 AM

4,515 posts, read 3,805,616 times
Quote:
Lived in South Florida for six years, the humidity and the heat almost melted me. I'd have been crying, too! So glad to get back to a place where they have four seasons and a cool winter!

Old 09-15-2014, 11:13 AM

894 posts, read 802,821 times
To me it sounds like there was just way too many kids. In my experience, very young children do best in smaller playgroups where there's less chaos and they can get more attention.

As far as the hitting/pushing, kids that age are just starting to learn about behavior and rules. There will be times when your son has a bad day, and times when the other kids act up as well. I would just keep reinforcing and modeling the type of behavior you want to see and give him small rewards when he acts appropriately. And slap the **** out of any kid who pushes your son....no just kidding...but wouldn't that be awesome if you could?

Old 09-15-2014, 11:27 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,273,091 times
Quote:

Glad it all worked out, I think it was a good idea to hover around your kid. Good work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting