U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 10:47 AM

21,134 posts, read 22,107,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I was the one who talked about slipping on the ice. In that instance my child would be inside a freezing car and could die, vs me falling at home and they are in the relative safety of my home with heat. If we were outside my house at the time, she could go to my neighbors house. The danger of winter weather while being locked in a car in a car seat is an actual danger.

The thing about the carts is that about half of all people leave them in the parking lot, so you are going to be mad at a lot of people.

I don't think it makes me a better parent, just a more cautious one. It's such a non issue for me to not leave my kid, just as it is a non issue for you to leave yours.

Yes to more cautious but not better (or worse ). As long as people understand that more cautious does not always equate to better. I think some people don't get that.

I've been grocery shopping for many many years. I get that some people don't return their carts. I live in an area where it can get windy and those carts can blow around the parking lot and cause damage and potentially accidents (with children inside the cars as well). I'm not mad but I do find it annoying and lazy - along with a multitude of other annoying and lazy things people do. Most stores around here have the corrals spaced evenly throughout the lot so no one has to walk too far - or leave the line of sight of one's car.

I don't know about your area, I do live in a colder climate and we do get ice. If I were to slip and fall in a parking lot, most people around here would help me up and ensure everything was ok - and I live in a suburb of a major city, not Podunk by any means.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:59 AM

3,932 posts, read 3,638,332 times
I don't leave my kids alone in the car EVER! I am shocked at how many parents are comfortable letting OTHER parents watch their kids as they are too busy to do it themselves. The truth is...many parents are simply lazy.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:07 AM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Many posters in the other thread INCLUDING THE OP stated they are comfortable leaving a small child in the car to go inside a building. If that is not you, than clearly Meyer was not referring to you. But pretending that there are not a significant number of people who are exactly doing why Meyer described is disingenuous.

This whole things is a spectrum with people who leave their children unattended while going inside buildings, shopping, etc at one end and those who will not leave their small children unattended in the car at all at the other. Some of you are fixated on moving the discussion to this magical one minute and sight line mark as if that were some meaningful point. Well it is not illegal, so it is at least meaningful that way. Congratulations. But it was neither the original point, nor a bastion of safety, what it is is a compromise of sorts between convenience and safety. Where you take a small risk in the name of convenience. Ok, go ahead, it is your right but it does not mean that it isn't safer to NOT leave your children in the car unattended. There is no arguing that point. It might certainly be less convenient, especially with larger number of children, and people unwilling to make other choices.

But the horse is dead. You like to leave your kids alone in the car for a "minute" and some of us don't. So what?
The OP did not mention going into a building. There is not one word about that in the post. You can mail a letter and return a DVD w/o going into a building. The OP did not define "what have you", but in no way did s/he say "go into a building" or imply so. That is your interpretation.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:10 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,908,702 times
For those you cannot simply agree to disagree.../closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting