Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 09:18 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Can't all these things happen in a house, too? Do you never leave your child alone if you're going to the bathroom for three minutes or taking a shower for ten? I'm just sayin'.
This.

Don't parents teach their children any safety skills anymore? Like how to not touch hot stuff. How to properly handle sharp objects and when not to touch them? How to call 911, not answer the door for strangers etc? Seems all kids are growing in a bubble and not learning important life skills anymore. This world also does not have danger lurking behind every street corner.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:45 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Can't all these things happen in a house, too? Do you never leave your child alone if you're going to the bathroom for three minutes or taking a shower for ten? I'm just sayin'.

From my post....
"Here are some things that have happened before....
Overheating
Freezing
Car getting stolen with the child inside
Kidnapping
Child starts car and causes and accident or gets hurt
Police are called by Good Samaritan
Child sees a puppy and gets out of the car to go pet it...."

So here are the things I said might happen in a car. I don't think any of them are possible to happen in the home. I guess the kidnapping one.

The fears I have had at home are with sharp knives or sharp objects. Maybe the hot stove. I just remove those from my child's area. Not sure what those things would have to do with leaving a child unattended in a car.

I baby proofed my house and I would never leave my child unattended in there. Some people leave to run errands while their kids sleep, and I think that's child endangerment. There have been times when people's homes have burned down, the children killed and the parent is out of the house.

How is this even a thing to be debated?

Old 09-12-2014, 11:49 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
This.

Don't parents teach their children any safety skills anymore? Like how to not touch hot stuff. How to properly handle sharp objects and when not to touch them? How to call 911, not answer the door for strangers etc? Seems all kids are growing in a bubble and not learning important life skills anymore. This world also does not have danger lurking behind every street corner.
My child knows all of this, but I still put the knives up and out of reach while she was a toddler. I also never walked away from a hot stove without making sure she wasn't near it.

My child knows how to cook and use the stove/ knives under my supervision now that she is older. So I don't think I am being overprotective. A small child can learn these rules, but kids don't think like little adults. Their logic is kid logic. You can't trust them to make a judgment on whether something is safe or not.when they are age seven and up it gets easier.

Last edited by Meyerland; 09-13-2014 at 12:02 AM..

Old 09-12-2014, 11:51 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
My kids are 2 years and 5 weeks.
No, I would not leave them alone in the car (running or not) for 5 minutes.
That's hilarious.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
And btw, as an ER doctor, I have seen all the "what can happen" from all the times people have said, "What could happen?"

Old 09-13-2014, 03:39 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Quote:
Abandoning an infant or toddler, even in a vehicle, on a public roadway or private parking lot for "just a few minutes" isn't going to teach anyone important life skills.

That falls into the "I can't be assed" category. Not, "I'm leaving them in the car for their own good, because they need to learn a lesson." That should be pretty obvious.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:08 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Again, risk vs reward, people have to go to the bathroom, no one has to leave a car seat bound infant or child in a car alone.

As for showering, I usually took one with them in the bouncy chair right in the bathroom with me or waited until someone else was home. At least when they were the ages is in the OP.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:10 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
This.

Life skills? In infants? Toddlers? Really?

What life skill does a child under the age of 5 gain from being left alone in a car?

Old 09-13-2014, 07:05 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
In the other thread, a few people were saying that it was more dangerous to leave a child strapped into their car seat while the parent returns the shopping cart to the cart return, or drops a book in the library book drop, both things that take a minute and are both within eye sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
And btw, as an ER doctor, I have seen all the "what can happen" from all the times people have said, "What could happen?"
As an ER doc, how often do you see children who have been hit by cars while walking through a parking lot.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:40 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Honestly, I couldn't have detached my preschoolers from me had I tried. They wanted to go everywhere I went. After they started school, they were a tad more independent, but they still did not have any desire to stay in the car when we were out and about. I think they were in early middle school before I started to see the first efforts at real independence. In fact, it wasn't until just this year that my thirteen-year-old showed a preference for doing his homework in his room vs. the dining room table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting