Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 08:05 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
But they do. I've seen it. I've actually seen people double park in the city to run into the dry cleaners or UPS or whatever, and leave a sleeping baby in the car, with the car running (because it's too hot to turn it off).
I saw that in North Dakota. Small town and people were just used to leaving their cars running while they went into the convenience store - during winter of course.

I just don't think it is a good idea to do this since it becomes a habit and next thing you know you are doing it in the wrong city.

I live in a small town and lock my car when I use the ATM at our small town bank. Car is no more than 20 feet away, but I trust no one. Small town but filled with a bunch of druggies. They will take anything that is not tied down - well even that.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:28 AM

426 posts, read 791,434 times
Seems like a lot of adults forget what it was like when they were growing up. Our parents had more trust in us then we have in our kids now. There is no more walking the dog around the block, riding the bike outside or walking to a friend's house alone without supervision and its a wonder why today's generation is a "selfie" generation. There is no more dangers in the world then there were 20+ Years ago. The media just reports on everyone of then now.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:37 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
Seems like a lot of adults forget what it was like when they were growing up. Our parents had more trust in us then we have in our kids now. There is no more walking the dog around the block, riding the bike outside or walking to a friend's house alone without supervision and its a wonder why today's generation is a "selfie" generation. There is no more dangers in the world then there were 20+ Years ago. The media just reports on everyone of then now.
Hyperbole.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:06 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
No more where? My kids do all those things.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:23 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Today I had some tile work done on my house, and the installer had brought his 10 year old daughter with him. He had her just standing outside in case he needed tools from the truck. I suggested he bring her in the house (where she had fun hanging out with my daughters and the guinea pigs), and opened all the blinds so he'd be able to see her if she went outside.

I really can't imagine bringing your kid to a neighborhood that you're unfamiliar with and leaving her outside for a couple hours while you work.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:59 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I really can't imagine bringing your kid to a neighborhood that you're unfamiliar with and leaving her outside for a couple hours while you work.
Maybe his only option was leaving her home alone for a couple of hours, and either she or he was not okay with that. If anyone could understand such a dilemma, I would think it would be people in this thread.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:28 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
In the other thread, a few people were saying that it was more dangerous to leave a child strapped into their car seat while the parent returns the shopping cart to the cart return, or drops a book in the library book drop, both things that take a minute and are both within eye sight.

As an ER doc, how often do you see children who have been hit by cars while walking through a parking lot.
I've seen two as a teacher and a parent. One on the way to school and one in a parking lot. One time the little kid just got out of the car and ran in front of a car. He was with an older sibling, no parent. The other was walking to school and crossed in the middle of the street.

I would say that accidents will happen, so parents should monitor their children in the vehicle, outside of the vehicle, and on the way to school if they are under the age of eight.

Here are the specifics on leaving children unattended.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ids-alone-cars

It's illegal to leave kids in the car for over five or ten minutes in many states. In New Jersey a mom left her 19 month old in a car for less than ten minutes and has been found guilty of child abuse.

The article even details when people have been arrested for leaving their child unattended two minutes. Think about that the next time you leave your kids in the car.

This is a real moms story about how she left her four year old in the car and thought she'd be back in a minute and got caught. She faces 500$ fine, 2000$ court costs, 93 days in jail. Even if she gets probation, she will have a record of child abuse.

http://t.today.com/parents/errand-cr...car-6C10584642

Last edited by Meyerland; 09-13-2014 at 01:45 PM..

Old 09-13-2014, 02:13 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Where Is It a Crime to Leave a Kid Alone in a Parked Car? | Mother Jones
Quote:
Lenore Skenazy, the author of Free-Range Kids, argues that public concern for the safety of unattended kids has escalated to the point of hysteria. She has heard dozens of stories of parents chastised by onlookers for, say, stepping away from a car full of kids to drop off a letter, return a shopping cart, or grab a cup of coffee. "The assumption is that any time a child is unsupervised, they are going to die," Skenazy says, "and that goes 20 times for a kid in a car."
I think that this is a good point regarding kids being left alone in cars, even for a minute and for things like, dropping a book in the book drop, or returning a grocery cart. There are so many small risks that kids face in life, what is it about this particular scenario that makes it worthy of arrest, or even intervention?

I'm not talking about leaving a young child alone in a car for 10 minutes, or even five, I'm talking about for a minute or two with no keys in the ignition and the kid buckled in.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:38 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Where Is It a Crime to Leave a Kid Alone in a Parked Car? | Mother Jones

I think that this is a good point regarding kids being left alone in cars, even for a minute and for things like, dropping a book in the book drop, or returning a grocery cart. There are so many small risks that kids face in life, what is it about this particular scenario that makes it worthy of arrest, or even intervention?

I'm not talking about leaving a young child alone in a car for 10 minutes, or even five, I'm talking about for a minute or two with no keys in the ignition and the kid buckled in.
How do you know you will literally only be gone for a minute? What if that minute turns into five? Ten?

Rightly or wrongly it is against the law in many places.

Small percentage of danger+good Samaritans+laws in place= I'm not going to do it.

What can you possibly gain from leaving your child unattended? A minute or two of inconvenience?

Old 09-13-2014, 02:49 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
How do you know you will literally only be gone for a minute? What if that minute turns into five? Ten?

Rightly or wrongly it is against the law in many places. In some, not really that many.

Small percentage of danger+good Samaritans+laws in place= I'm not going to do it.

What can you possibly gain from leaving your child unattended? A minute or two of inconvenience?
How does one minute turn into ten? What is the difference between leaving a child alone in their bedroom while you cook dinner or do laundry in another room? There are risk involved in a child staying in the car when you go to return your cart or drop off a book or a letter. Taking them with you also carries risks as children can get hit by cars. No matter what, there is risk. So why is this particular specific risk judged more harshly then other risks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting