U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:03 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,788,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurch View Post
Thank you for the info help full, how do you get your status under your name? I am curious
A shout out to my Alma Mater!

The lyrics stating "alleghenee, genec, genac, genac" reference the "Official University Yell" by 1891 graduate W. A. Johnston. The Yell itself is referencing the Allegheny Mountains of Western Pennsylvania. "Hail to Pitt" is believed to be the only college song to contain a college yell officially in its chorus.[37]
Hail to Pitt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 11:48 AM

39,209 posts, read 37,829,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eris2011 View Post
NO - another parent who has a gay teen DD (not me) and has allowed sleepovers in her own home -- we have not encouraged regular sleepovers as this is very new to us and we have just had the discussion with my DD.
Why are you changing your story??

Or are you saying they have sex in her room at night but she doesn't stay over???

I think you need to realize that discretion and logistics are not the real issues here.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:01 PM

6,877 posts, read 2,563,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
My sons were 'entertaining' six blondes at once, by the time they were fifteen and sixteen. But that was happening in the poolhouse, and I pretended to ignore it. Because by the time they made it into the kitchen for their pastry-making breaks (the dough has to rest between foldings), they'd all donned swimwear. And as far as I (officially) knew, they were having pool parties and giving pastry-making lessons to those nice girls who somehow got through the gates without me noticing (they were crawling over the wall...).

But I would not have allowed girls to sleep over (they did... but it wasn't ALLOWED). You get my drift?

Now that they're grownups, I can come downstairs and find six blondes at the breakfast table, and everything is fine... Things in this all-adult household can remain casual and permissive, until Dear Daughter's expected baby is old enough observe. At that point, we aren't going to be confusing baby with her uncles' harem. Proper rules of decorum and seemliness will be reinstated in the interests of maintaining childhood innocence for the grandchild(ren).
You last name isn't Heinlein is it?

Old 09-15-2014, 01:01 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,409,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Wait ... YOU did this, did you not?

Why are you changing your story??
Quote:
Or are you saying they have sex in her room at night but she doesn't stay over???

I think you need to realize that discretion and logistics are not the real issues here.
NO.

I think she meant she was following what she thought was "the norm" since another parent does it. The kid comes from out of town and was staying over at her house she wasn't "ENCOURAGING" it she said.

Like I said. Different standard for women which shouldn't be the case. But remember, she never even gave it a thought before and the girl has probably been having sleepovers like most kids do all along.

Navigation is hard when you're getting your mind around things, I think. Whole 'nother ballgame.

Kids 16 hold hands, kiss, and have PDAs in public all the time. (public displays of affection for the acronym challenged).

Wanna bet this is even an issue in some families of gay teens who's parent's claim acceptance? maybe even the OP's? who knows.

Cut the lady a break. She never thought for a minute about the difference between girlfriends and girlfriends.

Till she got the visual LOL.

I'm not clutching my pearls so much over the fact the girls are having sex although I don't approve of the at home thing overnight with the younger sister; and of course the emotional attachment just like any OTHER romance. But more that it seems to be an INTERNET romance. OP I hope you checked the age of consent in your state and know who this girl REALLY IS and her age. (yes I realize you didn't ask about that...or maybe they're old friends or something that you didn't talk about...just sayin')

16 is not the age of consent everywhere.

Gay Florida teen Kaitlyn Hunt pleads no contest in underage sex case - CNN.com

Old 09-15-2014, 01:26 PM

11 posts, read 8,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
NO.

I think she meant she was following what she thought was "the norm" since another parent does it. The kid comes from out of town and was staying over at her house she wasn't "ENCOURAGING" it she said.

Like I said. Different standard for women which shouldn't be the case. But remember, she never even gave it a thought before and the girl has probably been having sleepovers like most kids do all along.

Navigation is hard when you're getting your mind around things, I think. Whole 'nother ballgame.

Kids 16 hold hands, kiss, and have PDAs in public all the time. (public displays of affection for the acronym challenged).

Wanna bet this is even an issue in some families of gay teens who's parent's claim acceptance? maybe even the OP's? who knows.

Cut the lady a break. She never thought for a minute about the difference between girlfriends and girlfriends.

Till she got the visual LOL.

I'm not clutching my pearls so much over the fact the girls are having sex although I don't approve of the at home thing overnight with the younger sister; and of course the emotional attachment just like any OTHER romance. But more that it seems to be an INTERNET romance. OP I hope you checked the age of consent in your state and know who this girl REALLY IS and her age. (yes I realize you didn't ask about that...or maybe they're old friends or something that you didn't talk about...just sayin')

16 is not the age of consent everywhere.

Gay Florida teen Kaitlyn Hunt pleads no contest in underage sex case - CNN.com
THANK YOU!! I think this is getting out of context with my original post. I will recap and make it clear. My husband has a DD who is 12 and I have a DD who is 16 who not too long ago came up to me and said she was gay and told me about her girlfriend who she met in middle school as friends (I had since then gotten in touch with the mother and got to know the girl). Since her girlfriend is from out of town (about an hour and half away), she has only come to visit two times over the span of 4 months which is where I came on this forum to get feed back about sleeping over while there is a younger child at home. All of this is new territory for me and my husband, he could have shouted out saying no her girlfriend has to sleep else where, he said he is just as guilty as I am with this so we have put a buck on this and had a serious talk with my DD. Actually her girlfriend is very nice and does well in school, I have gotten to know her mother, just that with sleeping arrangements whenever she is in town to visit, that is put in line for the sake of my husband's DD.

Runwithscissors, thanks for the article -both my DD and her girlfriend are the same age and I have read my state's age of consent laws.

With all this said, my husband and I are going to join a local support group for parents of gay children.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:22 PM

13,209 posts, read 7,427,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
dear daughter
darn daughter

You can google any acronym to find its meaning. But that one (and the ones for other family members) have been around for DECADES! No one sees a need to spell them out when they use them.
Excuse me Pitt, but why should I have to Google an acronym to find out what it means on someone else's post? It's only a small request for the person to have the courtesy to spell it out the first time. I've been around here for a while and I've never seen them here or anywhere else. There are many meanings for a DD acronym, I'm sure. You yourself posted two, did you not?

Old 09-15-2014, 06:28 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,806,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Excuse me Pitt, but why should I have to Google an acronym to find out what it means on someone else's post? It's only a small request for the person to have the courtesy to spell it out the first time. I've been around here for a while and I've never seen them here or anywhere else. There are many meanings for a DD acronym, I'm sure. You yourself posted two, did you not?
This is the Parenting Forum. The acronyms DD = Dear Daughter & DS = Dear Son are used in every other post. So now you know.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:34 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,377,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
nice girls who somehow got through the gates without me noticing (they were crawling over the wall...).
So they're in shape.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:51 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,874,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I would not let my daughter or son at 16 have intimate sleep overs with their partners no matter if they were gay or straight. if the friend lives to far away get her a hotel room, or have her sleep on the couch.
I do agree with this. I have a gay 52 yr old dd who came out at 18. Prior to that, she had a HS boyfriend for 2 years who I found out she had been intimate with but never in my house and I can attest to that. Neither did she have random sleepovers with gf's as long as she lived at home. She has been in 3 monogamous relationships since then. The last is 23 years on. They do sleep together now when they come to my house.

16 is too young to have intimate relationships, no matter what sexual preference, IMO.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:16 PM

15,836 posts, read 18,488,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I would not let my daughter or son at 16 have intimate sleep overs with their partners no matter if they were gay or straight. if the friend lives to far away get her a hotel room, or have her sleep on the couch.
I have to agree. How the heck do you rationalize this at her age. How old is her girlfriend? This has all kinds of ramifications if the girlfriend is 18......and just as many if she isn't.
Just because you are accepting of her sexuality...Don't neglect her morals. And, just curious....would you be allowing this situation if it was your son?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or