U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 04:27 PM

16,488 posts, read 15,923,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranberryLightfan View Post
On days where I don't work and I'm with him all day. He pretty much plays all day, stopping only for 3 meals and a nap. After dinner is bath, then bed. Sometimes we get little bits of education( ABCs, simple math) in during the day. Why no TV? I'm curious?
When does he start school? Do they have 4 year old kindergarten in your area?

In my school district the 4K (Junior Kindergarten) students are expected to know many things by the end of the school year. All 5K (Kindergarten) students are expected to know the entire alphabet, identify both upper case and lower case letters, write their first names, rote count to 30, count 20 objects, make simple patterns (red, blue, red, blue), know 10 basic colors, identify the numerals to 10, identify 8 basic shapes, cut out simple shapes, play appropriately with other children (share toys, take turns), listen attentively to a 10 minute story, follow two step directions (such as get your folder and put it in the basket) given by the teacher and handle self care skills (toileting, hand washing, eating) independently when they start school in the fall. School districts are different. Some districts teach those things in kindergarten and in other areas every (or almost every) student enters kindergarten knowing those skills. So, you may want to increase your "little bits of education" as well as his ability to follow directions.

How is his behavior, ability to follow adult directions and attention span when he attends activities with other children such as preschool story time at the library, Sunday school or plays in the park with other children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 06:27 PM

18 posts, read 13,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
When does he start school? Do they have 4 year old kindergarten in your area?

In my school district the 4K (Junior Kindergarten) students are expected to know many things by the end of the school year. All 5K (Kindergarten) students are expected to know the entire alphabet, identify both upper case and lower case letters, write their first names, rote count to 30, count 20 objects, make simple patterns (red, blue, red, blue), know 10 basic colors, identify the numerals to 10, identify 8 basic shapes, cut out simple shapes, play appropriately with other children (share toys, take turns), listen attentively to a 10 minute story, follow two step directions (such as get your folder and put it in the basket) given by the teacher and handle self care skills (toileting, hand washing, eating) independently when they start school in the fall. School districts are different. Some districts teach those things in kindergarten and in other areas every (or almost every) student enters kindergarten knowing those skills. So, you may want to increase your "little bits of education" as well as his ability to follow directions.

How is his behavior, ability to follow adult directions and attention span when he attends activities with other children such as preschool story time at the library, Sunday school or plays in the park with other children?
He'll start school at 5. He interacts well, listens, follows direction.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
1) What are you watching around him? That can influence his behavior.

2) He cant "do whatever".
Honestly, most of what we watch is news or E!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:33 PM

I've been teaching him responsibility. My sister's got a Spaniel puppy so he " takes" care of it. Sometimes he fills up the water bowl or the food bowl, etc.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:34 PM

10,664 posts, read 7,706,710 times
Quote:
Not appropriate for kids that age.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
He'll start school at 5. He interacts well, listens, follows direction.
I am confused. You said that he does not stay in bed at night, gets cookies when you say "No", insists that you lay in bed with him when you tell him to take a nap and "He runs roughshod over my sister and I. He decides pretty much what he's doing (it) and when he does it". That is not describing a child who "listens" and "follows directions" and "interacts well".

Old 09-18-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am confused. You said that he does not stay in bed at night, gets cookies when you say "No", insists that you lay in bed with him when you tell him to take a nap. That is not describing a child who "listens" and "follows directions".
When he's at home he has problems, but for whatever reason, he's pretty compliant with other people.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
When he's at home he has problems, but for whatever reason, he's pretty compliant with other people.
That makes it even more clear that it is a parenting problem. Please get help to become a better, more effective parent.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:13 PM

15,290 posts, read 16,844,720 times
Quote:
let me ask you guys( an d gals) this: If a child needs to be put down for a nap, but he won't go unless Mommy lays on the bed too, is the child "in charge" if the parent obliges. I told him to go take his nap, he said " no" and that he wanted me to lay with him. I did, he took his nap and moved on with our day. Is he " controlling me" in that situation/
I think that depends a lot on whether or not you want to lay down with him and cuddle and whether you can limit the amount of time. He's 3, so needing to cuddle is not unusual. I would say you might say you will read him a story and cuddle for 5 minutes and then leave. If he is tired, he may already have fallen asleep by 5 minutes.

Note that you do not have to be rigid about things.

Yes, he is trying to control things, but it's not bad for him to get his way sometimes.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:25 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,055,580 times
Quote:
Neither one is appropriate for a 4 year old. Most of that trash isn't appropriate for adults either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or