U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2014, 05:59 PM
 
4,541 posts, read 9,520,594 times
Reputation: 3848

Advertisements

I do not look at my phone at all while driving and it's only been recently I'll answer a call because I have hands free. There really isn't anything that can't wait and most people know I won't respond if I'm driving.

Our son is good about not texting and driving. Partly because he's not big on that sort of thing but driving a manual also helps in that department as well.

I wish I could say my husband never did it. He's getting better but.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2014, 06:10 PM
 
11,452 posts, read 19,521,528 times
Reputation: 18181
People rationalize things away. Heard of a horrific accident from my old home area, and the young girl driving was texting and so not paying attention she ramped up her speed and went off the road going 75 straight into a big old fat tree. She died instantly, and hit the tree SO hard half of it splintered away, and it had to be taken down entirely. The car looked like it had been sent through the car squisher at the recycling yard.

Police said she had been going 75, 30 MPH over speed limit, and texting.

after the initial shock wore off, the kids were all saying she never went fast, she didn't text while driving, I can text while driving.... I can handle it...

In a lot of ways, no matter what, people are going to do the stupid thing, because "it won't happen to them" "they won't get caught".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2014, 06:34 PM
 
17,238 posts, read 22,286,349 times
Reputation: 31423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
There already are commercials, public service announcements, and even laws.
Some people choose to ignore them all.

And it is NOT just young people. I have seen people of all ages. The worst examples are the state police...
within 5 yrs, "distractive" driving will overtake alcohol for car accidents/deaths

somewhere along the line- a phrase needs to be coined, something more than "distracted" driving,
more like " neglectful driving to endanger or kill""
and ironically, it will either be other passengers in cars phoning in 911 to cops on a texting driver- if other car passenger gets a texter on video going over the line,,,they can email in to cops,,,,and they will place it publicly on youtube- while identifying the driver and fining 5000 dollars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2014, 06:22 AM
 
25,536 posts, read 23,386,267 times
Reputation: 15359
So, I was discussing this with people from work, and they thought I should have followed the girl when she turned into her development, and asked her for her telephone number, b/c I wanted to phone her parents and let them know she was driving all over the road, crossing the double yellow line, texting while driving.

Someone has to take initiative here....and we have to stop this, otherwise, more innocent people will be killed, including maybe your own child?

What should we do? Should I do something like that if I see this happening again?

This is ridiculous, and dangerous to all involved....something has to be done....and if you are parents, who talk on the phone or text while driving, you better sit down and have a serious talk with your kids....b/c they are way to young not to be focused on the road...it only takes one second. don't wait until you are involved personally, lets all band together and do something now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2014, 06:29 AM
 
25,536 posts, read 23,386,267 times
Reputation: 15359
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
within 5 yrs, "distractive" driving will overtake alcohol for car accidents/deaths

somewhere along the line- a phrase needs to be coined, something more than "distracted" driving,
more like " neglectful driving to endanger or kill""
and ironically, it will either be other passengers in cars phoning in 911 to cops on a texting driver- if other car passenger gets a texter on video going over the line,,,they can email in to cops,,,,and they will place it publicly on youtube- while identifying the driver and fining 5000 dollars
I wish every state would adopt this....
I have a contractor, who whenever I call him, if he is on the road, he will answer and then say, "wait a minute" and pull off the road to talk....

and as others say, they have hands free devices...which is a whole lot more safer....

but I wish every state would band together and enforce this severely....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2014, 06:33 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
4,294 posts, read 2,899,393 times
Reputation: 4257
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't want to blame anyone, however, if the kids see the parents doing it, regardless, they are going to do it......
I understand! Also possible the age, there is an age that they think they know everything. That also a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2014, 06:36 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
4,294 posts, read 2,899,393 times
Reputation: 4257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
And many times they reach a certain age and think you're a dinosaur who doesn't know anything.
I think here is the most problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2014, 07:11 AM
 
25,536 posts, read 23,386,267 times
Reputation: 15359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurch View Post
I think here is the most problem.
I disagree, you can always refuse them having the car...if they are living under my roof, they obey my rules...period.

I don't care what age they are, as long as I am the parent, they are going to listen to me, or else, there is a consequnce....take away the car, ground them, whatever it takes, but if a parent phoned me and told me, they saw my child texting, while driving, believe me, I'd do something but quick....this is a life and death situation....however, if your a parent, and have been texting or talking on a hand help device, how can you expect your kids to listen...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2014, 07:13 AM
 
25,536 posts, read 23,386,267 times
Reputation: 15359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurch View Post
I understand! Also possible the age, there is an age that they think they know everything. That also a reason.
so you dismiss the problem, b/c of their age? That is no solution....parenting, means doing things that sometimes are unpoplar....you can't always be a friend to your child....

and no, it is not a reason...then take the car from them, make them walk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2014, 07:26 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,426 posts, read 35,906,757 times
Reputation: 38840
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
however, if your a parent, and have been texting or talking on a hand help device, how can you expect your kids to listen...?
How is texting/talking hands-free any different than talking to you as a passenger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top