U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2014, 07:29 AM
 
25,508 posts, read 23,353,118 times
Reputation: 15351

Advertisements

there are many people disturbed by this, and I found out, in my state, there is a texting law, so I'm going to carry a paper and pen with me, write down the tags and report them to the police. If they are new drivers, their license will be suspended with a fine....

I encourage everyone to take the responsiblility and initiative to be responsible community members and parents and stop this before it gets worse, there are 13,000 a year, killed in distracted driving, which means, they are either on the phone or texting.

Please help with this, it may mean your child's life or the lives of others...

We just had 3 teens killed here over the Labor Day Holiday....they were about to start 12th grade....they were all together on a day trip...driving an SUV....

Please educate your kids and if they don't listen, then clamp down hard....you have to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,426 posts, read 35,860,830 times
Reputation: 38839
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
there are 13,000 a year, killed in distracted driving, which means, they are either on the phone or texting.

Do you know that as a fact?
Distracted driving can be horsing around with a car full of friends, putting on makeup, watching a video, reading a book....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2014, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,836 posts, read 21,884,037 times
Reputation: 27891
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I disagree, you can always refuse them having the car...if they are living under my roof, they obey my rules...period.

I don't care what age they are, as long as I am the parent, they are going to listen to me, or else, there is a consequnce....take away the car, ground them, whatever it takes, but if a parent phoned me and told me, they saw my child texting, while driving, believe me, I'd do something but quick....this is a life and death situation....however, if your a parent, and have been texting or talking on a hand help device, how can you expect your kids to listen...?
I had, have a very strict 'no phone' rule in my car. They do it when you're not there. It's unlikely that someone is going to see your child doing this and tell you. My son once took out his phone and started to call someone while he was driving me somewhere in my car. Education and example didn't seem to make a bit of difference.

Son told me that this song, video remind him of his youth.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aeETEoNfOg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2014, 08:25 AM
 
25,508 posts, read 23,353,118 times
Reputation: 15351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Do you know that as a fact?
Distracted driving can be horsing around with a car full of friends, putting on makeup, watching a video, reading a book....
yes, you are right....it can entail all of the above.....

well, my heart was in the right place, guess my little attempt was to no avail...seems like everyone has an excuse? Crazy?

but if it were my child, I'd have serious talks with them about all of these things, and it seems to me, texting and/or talking on the phone is more used then the others you have mentioned about....? Maybe I'm wrong....If more kids experienced a suspended license and fine, perhaps it might help sink in?

Can you imagine, driving down the road, and seeing a young girl in the car, driving across the double yellow lines, coming to a stop light and seeing that she is texting? and 3 in 1 1/2 weeks since school started? they are young kids...and if I would report them, they could have their licenses suspended, but I'd probably be yelled at by the parents....

Thank God I no longer have to raise a kid in these times....awful....

I remember when my son was able to drive, he of course, had a curfew, and I could never sleep until I heard him, close that door behind him downstairs....


Geeze, what a world we live in

Last edited by cremebrulee; 09-18-2014 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2014, 11:44 AM
 
11,447 posts, read 19,502,277 times
Reputation: 18177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
How is texting/talking hands-free any different than talking to you as a passenger?
I don't text, so I don't know about that. But even on a hands free device, there are times when I need to absolutely CONCENTRATE on my driving. A passenger will also see the danger I am trying to avoid and will shut his mouth while I maneuver out of it. During this maneuver I will also shut my mouth. (Just did this yesterday with a guy who was drifting around and then on a bridge that has BARELY ANY EXTRA ROOM decided that he wanted to be in my lane WHILE I WAS IN MY LANE. I managed to get around his successfully and my husband kept his trap shut while I did it.

The person on the phone will be squawking at me Hello hello and get louder can you hear me? Which I don't need when I am trying to avoid an accident.

Even hands free isn't the panacea people think it is.

My distraction is the radio. And when I go into places where I know the driving will be hazardous -- the radio goes off. City driving -- the radio is off.

You really have to know your own limits...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2014, 11:55 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,426 posts, read 35,860,830 times
Reputation: 38839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I don't text, so I don't know about that. But even on a hands free device, there are times when I need to absolutely CONCENTRATE on my driving. A passenger will also see the danger I am trying to avoid and will shut his mouth while I maneuver out of it. During this maneuver I will also shut my mouth. (Just did this yesterday with a guy who was drifting around and then on a bridge that has BARELY ANY EXTRA ROOM decided that he wanted to be in my lane WHILE I WAS IN MY LANE. I managed to get around his successfully and my husband kept his trap shut while I did it.

The person on the phone will be squawking at me Hello hello and get louder can you hear me? Which I don't need when I am trying to avoid an accident.

Even hands free isn't the panacea people think it is.

My distraction is the radio. And when I go into places where I know the driving will be hazardous -- the radio goes off. City driving -- the radio is off.

You really have to know your own limits...
Yeah. I am the same way. And I would not be using my phone AT ALL in those type of situations.

Very simple to say "Gotta go now!" and disconnect.

(For the record, I rarely talk on the phone driving a car. Almost any call can wait until I park.
And I hands free text once or twice a month.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2014, 12:52 PM
 
25,508 posts, read 23,353,118 times
Reputation: 15351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yeah. I am the same way. And I would not be using my phone AT ALL in those type of situations.

Very simple to say "Gotta go now!" and disconnect.

(For the record, I rarely talk on the phone driving a car. Almost any call can wait until I park.
And I hands free text once or twice a month.)
I'm glad to hear...however, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, we all know personally who does and who doesn't....

I was just trying very hard to bring awareness to this and possibly ask, how we could fix it...what could we do, to make it a better driving world?

B/c, someone God Forbid, who does use these devices while driving, might hit you....

either I read it, or heard someone say, when he/she gets in the car, they always put their phone in the trunk...so they are not tempted to use it while driving...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2014, 01:57 PM
 
11,161 posts, read 6,642,330 times
Reputation: 20199
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
they are young kids...and if I would report them, they could have their licenses suspended, but I'd probably be yelled at by the parents....
If you reported it to the police, how would the parents know it was you? The police aren't going to be pulling over the teenagers and then giving them the name, contact information, and home addresess of the person who reported them.

If they were swerving around in their lane, I would just phone that into the police. Let them deal with it. Its not for you to follow someone home and have a talk with their parents. It probably won't turn out like you think it will, and the parents will be more upset at you for your creepy behavior of following teenage girls to their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2014, 02:03 PM
 
25,508 posts, read 23,353,118 times
Reputation: 15351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If you reported it to the police, how would the parents know it was you? The police aren't going to be pulling over the teenagers and then giving them the name, contact information, and home addresess of the person who reported them.

If they were swerving around in their lane, I would just phone that into the police. Let them deal with it. Its not for you to follow someone home and have a talk with their parents. It probably won't turn out like you think it will, and the parents will be more upset at you for your creepy behavior of following teenage girls to their home.
If you would have read this thread, you would have seen that is what I intended to do next time, but no you had to point out that if I followed the girl home, it would be creepy behavior...???

Yanno, people in today's world stink...when I was growing up if a parent went to our parents and told we were horsing around or doing something wrong, the parents were greatful!

Believe me, after reading some of the posts in here, I now wash my hands to it......
ya try to do something good and the majority of posts in this thread are sick....you make the world very dirty....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2014, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
2,761 posts, read 2,261,840 times
Reputation: 4794
Make sure to teach your kids to be protected.... practice safe text....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top