U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 03:06 PM

15,797 posts, read 13,230,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinUSA View Post
I've seen 6 years olds taking the bus to school alone in the UK, a little further than 150 feet
Alone? Who drives the bus then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Reasonable people recognize they are witnessing a snapshot in time and don't jump to unreasonable conclusions.
Leaving a young child unsupervised is one of the signs of potential neglect. I didn't make that up, it isn't my opinion, but rather one of the signs experts use to identify potential issues.

So yes, reasonable people (including the experts) would see that snapshot and recognize that it could potentially be a situation worth of further investigation.

Quote:
Mandated reporting of potential abuse (without actual evidence of abuse) is based on the perception of the mandated reporter consider suspect. Most mandated reporters would not consider this a sign of sign of potential abuse. If they did, there would be hundreds of these stories in the news daily and almost every parent in my neighborhood and my region would have been reported.
You just make things up.

For the vast majority of abuse and neglect cases the warning signs are the only evidence you will find.

Child Abuse & Neglect: Recognizing, Preventing and Reporting Child Abuse

"Is frequently unsupervised or left alone or allowed to play in unsafe situations and environments"

https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/fa...0and%20Neglect

"The following signs may signal the presence of child abuse or neglect…...Lacks adult supervision"

Warning Signs for Child Abuse or Neglect

"Signs of neglect...Lack of supervision; for example young children left unattended or with other children too young to protect or care for them".

Most mandated reporters are TRAINED to see an unsupervised very young child in a public place as a sign of neglect. That is fact. And if it is a child you have never seen before, and they are alone, you have to wonder how often this happens, and not knowing may mean someone should find out. That someone is the proper authorities, which is exactly what happened in this case.

And of course they are not news. Child neglect happens every day in every community, CPS and the authorities can't go to the news, it is illegal. The families, especially the ones who are actually neglecting their families, don't want to say they were investigated, so only a small subset will go to the news. A group like say THOSE WITH A BLOG TO PROMOTE.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:22 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,197,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
BritinUSA means public transpiration.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:45 PM

15,320 posts, read 16,901,819 times
Quote:
We are talking about a six yr old. That is very different developmentally than a preteen and like it or not, a different target in terms of abduction or harm than an older child.
Actually, most stranger abductions are of girls who are 10 to 17. The boy is outside the demographic by gender and age.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:45 PM

19,897 posts, read 36,476,128 times
So, lkb0714, what about all the people on here (the "experts" you're talking about) who ARE mandated reporters who say this alone would not be something that it would be necessary to report or that they would consider to be a concern?

Also, the neighbor lady (wonder if she'll ever be identified) went to the home, talked to the mother and found out everything was okay, got assurances, and then called the cops (who then had to call CPS, presumably). Since both the police and CPS did investigate and found no problems (and there's that whole thing about the kind of questions they asked that, in my opinion, went way over the line for this kind of event), it's pretty clear that there was nothing further to cause the neighbor lady honest concern. One also wonders if she has any children herself.

As for it being someone with a blog to promote, how about it's someone with a blog that gives them the opportunity to bring a real problem to light when others in the same situation might not be (and/or might not be brave enough to risk the firestorm that has already predictably arisen).

Old 09-19-2014, 04:21 PM

436 posts, read 307,675 times
I wonder how cavalier the posters here who say a cps investigation is basically no harm, no foul as long as the kids aren't removed would react if an investigator showed up at their house and questioned their kids like that in their own home. It might be like water rolling off a duck's back to them, but I have a feeling most woul be, at the least, pretty shocked. I am familiar with mental health diagnoses (not as a patient, but from a caregivers perspective) and although I never got diagnosed with it, I am 100% sure I have PTSD from our (unfounded) cps investigation. There was harm there. I don't for a second believe we're the only family to be traumatized by this sort of thing. I still maintain cps is a necessary agency, but it should be used very sparingly - not by do-gooders who want to feel good about their "vigilance". Be vigilant, watch out for your neighbors. Just don't bring in the law "just because" - you don't know what chain reaction you're going to set off.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:42 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,292,859 times
I think the neighbor could have skipped calling the police, especially if this was the first time it happened. Now CPS is saying these kids can't go outside? That's absurd.

The one issue I have though is that 150 yards is one and a half football fields. Is she the Flash that could she could have ran out of her house and to that bench fast enough if something happened? My guess is that she wasn't watching him because if she was, she would have seen a person talking to her child who is sitting ALONE on a bench and she would have ran out there. (what's wrong with playing in your own backyard as opposed to a park bench 150 yards away, anyway?) If she saw him, why was she surprised at the neighbor showing up at her doorstep with her son?

In 2011 a mother in NYC let her 6 yr old son walk home 7 blocks from his daycamp by himself. He got confused and lost and when he stopped someone for help...well, the boy never made it home. You can Google Leiby Kletzky to find out what happened. I, as a mother, could never live with myself if something happened to my child, something that I have control over. Parents need to keep parenting. It's not up to six year olds to tell us that they want to walk 7 blocks by themselves or sit 150 yards away.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:46 PM

418 posts, read 400,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
BritinUSA means public transpiration.
yes which was often filled with freaks

Quote:

The bus driver doesn't really watch out for them, they walk to and from the bus stop alone too.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:05 PM

7,878 posts, read 6,689,081 times
Depends where the child is , as there are some places which children can enjoy the freedom of the area where they live and not be concerned with the concerns of people who live in wicked areas which peace and pedophiles live and people children end up missing , and people have rights to carry guns and use them and get away with murder by the courts , which is what it may be in Texas ,..................................... But in some small town some other place every one know every one and little children can play in park down the road and the police would not be concerned .......................... See people can carry guns in Texas and kill people who come to their homes under the cattle wrestlers laws , so children are better off tied to their homes ................. Look at the old `leave it to beaver ` shows where these little children would walk five blocks to school and the police never said ` boo ` , Oh what a wicked world we have now is some areas

Old 09-19-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Actually, most stranger abductions are of girls who are 10 to 17. The boy is outside the demographic by gender and age.
I didn't say "most" I said different. Small children are targeted differently that older children, and given the fact that this boy left the area his mother left him in, with a stranger to him, it is clear he is an effective target for stranger abduction. Now while that possibility is wildly remote, the fact that he left with an adult he didn't know, means his mothers judgement that he was mature enough to be left alone in a public place 150 yard from his home, was probably not good judgement at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or